More Microsoft Madness

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

More Microsoft Madness

Post by Nitrofox125 »

Microsoft really does want to dominate the world:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/biztech/11 ... index.html
Microsoft Corp. warned Asian governments on Thursday they could face patent lawsuits for using the Linux operating system instead of its Windows software. The growing popularity of Linux is a threat to the global dominance of Microsoft's Windows.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

you've GOT to be kidding me.

I hope MS looses thier shirts. :roll:
Microsoft wrote:"In the market where Microsoft is, there's a lot of competition," he said. "We compete with Unix and we're doing very well because the Windows (market) share has increased every year. It's out there; it's something we compete against."
Since when is 1 a lot of compitition? ... oh sorry.. 2, there's Mac. :roll:
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Mocrosoft wrote:"Nobody ever knows who built open-source software," he added.
Nobody that's not going to bother looking into it, anyway. I don't know if that's true.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

the article wrote:Linux violates more than 228 patents, according to a recent report from a research group
WHAT?!
Sage
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sage »

Linux violates more than 228 patents, according to a recent report from a research group
Haha, if you use Linux you're an illegal theif, robber and communist. :D

Lols no, I dowt dis is tru.
Trackball
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Trackball »

That Ballmer idiot is at it again...

Anyone see the famous Ballmer Dance? Hillarious stuff. :D
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I wonder of MS is gonna sue me if I use Linux on my system.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

This Microsoft FUD will hopefully increase Linux usage in these countries. I can easily see the governments of these countries taking these threats and enacting new laws to protect themselves (from Microsoft). This very well may be a good thing.
"We think our software is far more secure than open-source software. It is more secure because we stand behind it, we fixed it, because we built it. Nobody ever knows who built open-source software," he added.
It still amazes me to see the rediculous statements that come out of this scared company. A response to this can easily be: "We think our Linux software is far more secure than Microsoft's closed-source software. It is more secure because we have the source, we modified it for our needs, because WE built (compiled) it. Nobody ever knows who built closed-source software."

Watch this for a laugh: Windows98
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

This is lame and all, typical MS junk but do you think they're actually scared? If thats so the joke might be on you in the end.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

true, i'm not sure if this is scared company behaviour. i think it's just usual behavior (well, unusual to us).

i wanna see steve dance like a monkey again. that always makes the kids happy.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

it would be interessting to know how many patents microsoft is violating. but we will never know, its closed source. ;)
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

This makes for better reading :)
Now M$ is denying he even said it, looks like they realise letting that get into the news was a mistake :lol:

Microsoft is denying that its CEO Steve Ballmer told Asian government leaders on Thursday that Microsoft believes that Linux violates more than 200 software patents.
No wonder they found so many patent violations. Make up a threat and then sell them insurance to protect them form it, only in America :roll:
In August, OSRM, a provider of open-source consulting and risk mitigation insurance, announced it had unearthed 283 issued, but not yet court-validated, software patents that could conceivably be used in patent claims against Linux. OSRM is planning to begin offering a patent-litigation insurance policy for Linux users and developers in 2005.

Stuff like this just proves to me that Linux is kicking Microsoft's A$$ :)
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Tyranny wrote:If thats so the joke might be on you in the end.
umm....yeeeaaah....whatever. :roll:

Then why deny he said it? But to each their own. You like using Windows? Then good for you.
KompresZor wrote:Stuff like this just proves to me that Linux is kicking Microsoft's A$$ :)
Yeah, they previously just blew Linux off as an inferior operating system. Now they are actively discouraging people from using it. They see it as a threat. :P
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

In time, I will gravitate toward Linux. Although it does the vast majority of what I want it to do, I point the finger squarely at ATI for why I haven't switched.

These days, with the adoption of X.org instead of XFree86, I have no clue what Linux system ATI is trying to target with their drivers. I used to think it was Fedora, but ATI deviates from even that. There exists no Linux distribution that doesn't force some kind of arcane hacking to make ATI's latest driver work. That says a lot about ATI. Considering the billion and one mechanisms Linux has for installing things, ATI can't seem bothered to A.) support anything other than RPM and B.) test against any system other than their mythical box.

I'm mad at ATI mainly because most other manufacturers and their devices are supported in Linux. But ATI consistently fails to keep up, much to my chagrin. ATI needs to get with the times. Even Loki had excellent install programs for all of their products, and that was over two years ago.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Yeah, ATI really needs to work on their driver support. If I recall correctly, back in the days, even ATI's Windows drivers were crappy. I will not buy an ATI card until they get good Linux support.

nVidia's drivers on the other hand are great. Just one installer that works on all (if not, most) Linux distros. I have never had a problem with getting nVidia drivers working.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

i sent this to my MS friend and she sed its total BS
Vertigo
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo »

Well, that's why gentoo is great :)

'emerge ati-drivers'

Then edit xorg.conf, and presto, all done :D
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

Warlock wrote:i sent this to my MS friend and she sed its total BS
all employees are hardly privy to the memos stating policys of this calabre. unless she's in upper management circles, public relations, or marketing. is she?
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

shes head of the sells dep at the offices in dfw
GehRehmee
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by GehRehmee »

roid wrote:
the article wrote:Linux violates more than 228 patents, according to a recent report from a research group
WHAT?!
I'd be suprised if it wasn't higher, actually. At the same time, Windows probabbly violates at least that many.

That's what happens when you have a patent office that will accept basically anything without a significant prior art search.
Sickone
MIA Host/Admin
MIA Host/Admin

Post by Sickone »

man you guys love to work with next to no facts and trash MS....

Yes he made the comment, but most of issues, claims, etc are not MS vs Linux it is from others who own Unix I.P.

MS was simply claiming that when using MS you don't have those issues
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

MS is a nice comp to work for they treat every one there really good. hell they offer free fully caterd dinners there for the ones who work there and not to mentshion how much money Mr.Gates gives away
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Xamindar wrote:umm....yeeeaaah....whatever. :roll:

Then why deny he said it? But to each their own. You like using Windows? Then good for you.
Don't put words in my mouth. I never denied anyone said anything. All I'm saying is that your assumption that MS is scared is out and out WRONG. A company with the position Microsoft has doesn't need to be scared. Even if they had decent competition they still would have no need to fear that competition.

I'll also save you the trouble before you jump to conclusions and put your foot in your mouth again, I'm not by any means Pro-Microsoft. Quite the contrary, however, I'm not delusional about their position in the technology market either.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Care to give any detailed info?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

MD-2389 wrote:
Care to give any detailed info?
I smell chum in the water. :P
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

she wouldent tell me much. really i could care less about what people say about MS, cause i got my hook up to cheep software ^^
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

woodchip wrote:I smell chum in the water. :P
Ha ha. ;)

Unlike some, I'd rather hear both sides of the story before I say something.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

MD-2389 wrote:
woodchip wrote:I smell chum in the water. :P
Ha ha. ;)

Unlike some, I'd rather hear both sides of the story before I say something.
Thats a first ;)
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Tyranny wrote:
Xamindar wrote:umm....yeeeaaah....whatever. :roll:

Don't put words in my mouth. I never denied anyone said anything. All I'm saying is that your assumption that MS is scared is out and out WRONG. A company with the position Microsoft has doesn't need to be scared. Even if they had decent competition they still would have no need to fear that competition.

I'll also save you the trouble before you jump to conclusions and put your foot in your mouth again, I'm not by any means Pro-Microsoft. Quite the contrary, however, I'm not delusional about their position in the technology market either.
No need to get all upset and emotional. I guess you are the expert on how entities think. I still stand by what I have said. I think MS know's what is possibly coming and is trying anything to stop it. And let me clarify something: "Then why deny he said it?" == "Then why [did Microsoft] deny he [Balmer] said it?" (I wasn't putting any words in your mouth). :P
Sickone
MIA Host/Admin
MIA Host/Admin

Post by Sickone »

man....

- ANY company would/should feel a threat given the same issues.
- ANY company doesn't willingly give up a singe point of market share
- ANY company puts out the facts, and the spin that helps their position.
- ANY publicly held company is required to use "competence and due diligence" to protect market share and growth.

This thread was started based on people reading a story and not understanding the issue(s) and jumping on the "★■◆● on MS Bandwagon"

No matter what product or service you sell - always you offer the "why we are good, and why they are not"

So MS did what any other company would do... duh
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

thanks for the info Bill Gates. ;)

(sorry Sicky, I had to take a shot at you for that. <3)
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

I think you are right Sickone. :D

There has also been a lot of talk lately about software patents and how out of control they seem to have gotten. I'm curious to see how this plays out. Whether Linux DOES violate patents or not, I don't think anyone can stop me from using it. Would be interesting to see how/if they ever try. I guess they could sue me. :wink:
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Sickone wrote:man....

- ANY company would/should feel a threat given the same issues.
- ANY company doesn't willingly give up a singe point of market share
- ANY company puts out the facts, and the spin that helps their position.
- ANY publicly held company is required to use "competence and due diligence" to protect market share and growth.

This thread was started based on people reading a story and not understanding the issue(s) and jumping on the "**** on MS Bandwagon"

No matter what product or service you sell - always you offer the "why we are good, and why they are not"

So MS did what any other company would do... duh
This is basically where I was coming from. MS recognizes their competition and might consider some of them a threat. That hardly makes them afraid however. It's all due process for big business when stuff of this nature comes up.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Tyranny wrote:Thats a first ;)
Oh very funny. ;)