I'm ranting again!

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

I'm ranting again!

Post by Bet51987 »

Ok.....To answer those who think I only like games with modded weapons and ships....I say this once and for all.â?¦..your rightâ?¦.butâ?¦
I happen to like other levels too, but some I like more than others. When I play a level, I want to experience fire, shock, and earphone rattling explosions. The kind that make my dad tell me to â??turn down the volumeâ?
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: I'm ranting again!

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Audio taunts are usually off because people abuse them, not because of the cursing. There are many lamers out there who "DJ" by playing music clips in endless loops(and other great spamings of endless taunts), that taunts end up being off.

[quote="bet51987"]When bigheads kill each other they canâ??t understand how their ego was killed and instead of accepting it they come back with â??WT$â?
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

The MD is only a bighead weapon for you because it requires skill to use. skill that you do not possess. Some people play this game (or used to) to test their skills against those of others and to win. I am fiercly competitive and I play to win regardless of what I play. The fact of the matter is you cannot prove you're better than anyone else when using modded no skill weaponry in modded no skill levels. VV is a noob level anyway, I don't blame you for not liking it. But I know right now why you don't like Damage. It's a level that requires you to know how to play the game of Descent. And you really don't.

And to me, little heads just means little brains.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

Bet, it's nice to hear your point of view. I can understand why you play the levels you play. That doesn't mean that myself and others won't ever take the opportunity to poke fun at those levels and the players who play them, but at least I, and probably some others, can understand your level selection. I still think you should try other "bighead" levels though. 15 minutes in a level isn't even enough to learn the layout cold, much less be able to fly well in it, unless you're a monster like Krom or Sergeant Thorne or Shadowfox or Suncho.

However, you like to make the exact same sort of stereotyped comments about "bigheads" that you accuse them of doing to you and others. I would wager that Most of the "bigheads" don't use "offensive" taunts, and that some of the ones you think are, simply aren't. Some bigheads whine, but many do not. I've seen at least as much, if not More whining from newbs and so-so pilots. So be careful of stereotyping, because it can be quickly turned back on you.
DigiJo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by DigiJo »

The MD is only a bighead weapon for you because it requires skill to use.
in that statement i disagree. the md requires no skill and is the biggest noob weapon ever shown in any descentgame, its just in to please groundpounder snipers.

*klick* ping.. instant hit, 50 damage + bounce + splashdamage, no lead (only ping) 1,5 seconds later the next round is ready for another 50 damage, you have up to 30 rounds in a gl, each doing more damage then double-homers in the bp for example. where exactly does md require any skill?

md is THE supernoob-weapon in descent.
Couver_
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Couver_ »

DigiJo wrote:
The MD is only a bighead weapon for you because it requires skill to use.
in that statement i disagree. the md requires no skill and is the biggest noob weapon ever shown in any descentgame, its just in to please groundpounder snipers.

*klick* ping.. instant hit, 50 damage + bounce + splashdamage, no lead (only ping) 1,5 seconds later the next round is ready for another 50 damage, you have up to 30 rounds in a gl, each doing more damage then double-homers in the bp for example. where exactly does md require any skill?

And your ability to dodge/burner oh ya return fire during the fight is hampered how?? :roll:
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

The MD's no n00b weapon; even after playing for 3 or 4 years, I'm still not at the point where I can consistently hit something. It requires precision aim, good timing, and a little bit of luck.

Bettina, I can't see how you don't like Damage. It has to be one of the two or three best D3 levels out there. Plus, even when playing so well, it manages to look good too. Real Descent isn't about uber-modded weapons, as fun as they can be; it's about increasing your skill and continuing to improve. It's a process that never ends. By sticking to the levels you say you like, you end up handicapping yourself. I, for one, don't even understand the meaning of "bighead," yet I like all of the levels that you consider "bigheaded" for the simple reason that they play well. Subway Dancer (and this is just my opinion, and not any sort of flame) does not play very well. I'm a tunnel rat by nature, and I really don't like it; I don't think it represents the most fun that you can have in a D3 level. The only way to get better in Descent is to play people who are better than you, not keep relying on modded weapons.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

A 1v1 in JazzyBox could easily show the skill discrepancy between MD and say, fusion. Pair an experienced player with a newb, have 2 rounds, one with just fusion, one with just MD, and I'll guarantee you the score will be far more lopsided in the fusion match. MD Does require skill to use well and hit consistently like some players can do, but it's still a point and click weapon, and as such is much easier to use than most weapons. The only time other weapons become at all dangerous in the hands of inexperienced pilots is in levels with tighter spaces. Then trifusion, BP plasma/MW is dangerous.
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

DigiJo wrote: where exactly does md require any skill?

Id have to disagree. Modded weapons of the subway dancer/hyperspace variety are by far the weapons that require the least skill.

Before Bett flames me, I wanna say I'm not gonna harp on anyones level of choice.One of the things that makes Descent great is that there are many variety's of levels for everyones taste in flying.
stereotyping people that fly in them is pretty moronic IMHO.
I have quite a few levels on my dislike list and levels with Modded weapons are at the VERY TOP of that list.Does that mean I should berate everyone that flies there? I think not. I have better things do do with my time then massage my ego over a video game.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is this.
We all have our favorite levels and we also have our disliked levels. let's just accept that and go on enjoying our favorite game in the way we want to enjoy it.There will always be a diffent opinions of course, but dragging the corpse of this subject out of the morgue for even more beatings is starting to get old.
Just my usual1/3 cent. -Hat
Couver_
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Couver_ »

Hattrick wrote: I guess what I'm really trying to say is this.
We all have our favorite levels and we also have our disliked levels. let's just accept that and go on enjoying our favorite game in the way we want to enjoy it.There will always be a diffent opinions of course, but dragging the corpse of this subject out of the morgue for even more beatings is starting to get old.
Just my usual1/3 cent. -Hat
Well said!!!
Delkian
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Delkian »

(Partially) OT:

Some people play to become better players. Mastering the game is an end to them. These people play for the feeling they get from the game -- they get it from the pleasure of managing to improve their gameplay and from the competition.

For others, this famous 'skill' may be one means of achieving other goals, and it's not the only one, so it may play some role but isn't as important as in the former case. These ones also play for the feeling, they just get it in some other way (incredibly speedy action, visual and aural appeal, or something).

Descent, particularly the third part of the series, can easily appeal to both player types. The problem is that these two types don't understand each other.

I'm mostly, although not entirely, in the latter class. However, I don't always play the same levels, nor do I have other stereotypical characteristics of 'noobs', or non-skill-oriented players. In fact I don't think the stereotype is very correct -- it's likely that a person who fits the stereotype isn't very skill- or competition-oriented but it may not be true vice versa.

I really can see where you're coming from, Bett. The weapon mod of SD still sucks, though.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

MD...

I don't think MD is a 'skill' weapon, although there is a large element of skill involved in using it. I think MD is a 'talent' weapon. Combined with skill and good ping, MD can be unstoppable.

And it's also the least "descent" weapon in D3. It utterly dominates almost any level it's placed in unless it is modded.

I hate it and I love it.

and Bettina...did you fix your config?
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Personally I think most of the weapons in D3 are n00b weapons...but that is besides the point :P I'd also wager I could find a couple of descent vets who could put most n00bs to shame in the ★■◆●/whine/complain department regardless of which descent they played. ;)
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Delkian wrote:(taken out of context}

These ones also play for the feeling, they just get it in some other way (incredibly speedy action, visual and aural appeal, or something).

First, I'm not going to flame you. It's not me. When I do that its in jest only, like the intent of this post was. I'm not mad at anybody except a few I can't play with because of language.
Anyway your right about me, I like the aural and visual aspects of a game. This is the only game I play and wouldn't if it was just a shootem-up in the middle of a sand dune like I feel about VV.

Hunters new hyperspace is an awesome masterpiece but not many (whisper....bigheads) play it because of its modded ships and weapons. At least the weapon mod complaints have been pointed out many times to me in other games.

Another thing about Hyperspace is that it's almost a game in itself and I would bet some non D3 players would enjoy playing that if they only knew.

Bettina
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Hyperspace is THE best MOD I've ever played. I'm not a fan of SD, I love MD, and it does take skill to use. Not everyone can hit a shot across a level without using zoom. Heck, most people can't even fly descent. I know 90% of my friends can't. People like Kal-El can. MD tends to dominate because it's high-powered--but a good fusion player will win a 1v1 in a small level. Weapons that have a travel time are excellent in small arenas. If more instant-hit weapons had been included to use in large arenas, I have a feeling this point would be moot. MD would simply be to the rest of the instant-hit weapons what fusion is to energy weapons. I've acquired a fair amount of skill with MD myself, but I'm still a LONG way from attaining the ability of many players. I can hold my own in a 1v1, and I can even kill many players in a MD duel. However, put me in the middle of an 8-person dogfight with MD and I won't hit the broad side of the empire state building.

But that's beside the point. I've played just about every level in D3 using every ship in D3. Some I like. Some I don't like. They're all pretty much balanced. Ever see a moderate-skill tank pilot whupping it up on a moderate-skill phoenix pilot in fury level 6? Ever see a phoenix pwning a tank in the same conditions in BI3? Then quit your whining about which ship is better.

As for SD people not playing other levels, that's a generalization. You were taught not to make generalizations in school for fear of "offending" people, no? I don't like the SD mod personally. Thus I don't play it. People who do like it play it.

I like mods--heck, I even make them. If anyone ever played Strycken Anarchy (besides LF and the few people I've forced into a game of it) they should realize that I have a taste for the somewhat insane. ;)

I have audio taunts off. I have since I installed the game 4 years ago. They aren't worth the interference, IMO. But again, that's a matter of personal opinion.

Damage is one of the finest-looking levels I've ever been in; I've even tried to mimic its architecture style somewhat in some levels. I can understand, however, why some people don't like it. Get one elite pilot in there and it can seem like you're not fighting anyone else in an 8-person anarchy but that one person. It's a harsh level for anyone that doesn't know how to fly it sideways (that includes myself).

D3 is a game. It's fun. I play it for fun. It's fun because I like getting better at something. That doesn't mean that you can't play it because you think big explosion are fun.
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

Stryker wrote:D3 is a game. It's fun. I play it for fun. It's fun because I like getting better at something. That doesn't mean that you can't play it because you think big explosion are fun.
exactly.
somehow i derive entertainment by getting spanked and yelling "PANG!!"

:P
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

Bet, I haven't flown with you, but I'm sure from your post what you like is the hair-on-fire warping around style of play. I also used to enjoy this, and play with my buddies in [NuB] in wicked garden and skybox and places like that. I still fly with some of my old [NuB] boys (and get creamed by quite a few of em) but mostly for 20 minutes at a time, until I can't stand the boating.

I'm quite the "bighead" though I don't have the skill to qualify as one. My game of choice is 1v1 Vamped with the respawn turned down low. This is because I enjoy a game where choices count. I can knock someone off their aim with the Vauss and try to time my precious secondary (of which I probably have one or two) to catch them as they correct and aren't thinking dodge. I can flood an exit with super lasers if I think someone will decide not to engage. I can break out the whoopass we're grappling in the tunnels and I'm confident with their patterns, or I can throw microwave just to warp their screen if I want to jet past someone and get around a corner to live and fight another day. If I make the wrong pick, I lose the encounter, either by wasting ammo, or coming out negative in net sheild change (I'll take 30 damage to smack you with 40 every day of the week). My choices matter here, and I hate the loss of control I feel when a third party burns AB around the corner and shoves a mortor between me and a charged fusion blob. Not because I died, I frequently ask people for 1v1's I'd be pleased to pull 20% against, but because I can't compensate for that. No matter what choice I make, I'm dead, and I didn't put myself in a no-win situation, someone just happened along at the wrong time.

Fly with my in Vamped sometime.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Superlasers > fusion.

Much harder to dodge.

Fusion is teh n00b weapon :)

I use fusion all..the...time... :P
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

No way is MD is a newbie weapon.

IMO
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Why does bettina always complain about stuff here?

I means, jesus, just stfu and play... or don't. But atleast stfu
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

Bettina ! Don't forget the need to practice blowing up in style yourself .. ! Just as you might need practice with the aim on the Mass Driver.

Qwicksilver and I the other night were trying to find a good groove in Subway Dancer, ... I got bored, mostly from the "no choices needed / don't need to think much" secondary boating strategy I fall into, and so I went away to play a Fury level (Half pipe).

Now talk about a contrast ! .. Qwicksilver also joined the fury match, and so did Laria, and Hydroponics. Qwicksilver even said "Holy Sheet ! This level rocks..! and how could anyone prefer Subway Dancer ?" Qwicksilver had never played Half Pipe before, apparently.

I was totally rejuvinated / relieved / reconstituted by that Half Pipe match ! My D3 soul was happy again ! And after getting harranged by Laria who took the lead, it was no no problem. I was quenched and ready to go to bed when the level was over.

In Half Pipe I was thinking again ! As slow as I might make those "choices / decisions" to use the layout, use the MD zoom, use the napalm rockets, I was engaged way more in the whole D3 experience than I can be in those over-modded levels.

Oh and btw Betti' ... You do blow up real good, whatever you're flying in ! Keep practicing that !
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

STRESSTEST wrote:Why does bettina always complain about stuff here?
Knowing what those letters mean, I won't degrade to your level so I left them out, but it did make me reflect about my attitude here, and your very right. Last week during a few games, a player called me a b..ch and another called me the antichrist. I will be careful what I say from now on because I've already lost two people here, and Iâ??m not like the person I make myself out to be.

Still your friend
Bettina
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

aww c'mon folks.
game from 1999. played it way too much. burnt out. met some online folks at chicago in a stoned and drunken haze. played for 2 months. burnt out. read dbb.

play your bloody subway dancer... i can appreciate the effort in creating it because i could never do the same. i think it's garbage but if you think it's fun play it.

there are no "bigheaded" people in descent... that would be ridiculous. they are getting their jollies at best. (the only one who can even be bigheaded is fatal and he spent that money long ago) ;-0

** administers the meatpuppet corncob removal system**

:P :P :P
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

wow! when I play I still worship at the MD alter, and yap I suck at it. omg its just the best. pull back hold it Click!!!!! boom! it's almost fun to miss just a hair in veins and see them rattle around with their nose down. hehehehe

ps Aw ya can't use big head and Fatal in the same sentence, meat.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

I'd more call him "big hair." He looks like the lovechild of Michael Jackson and Eddie Van Halen.

still indifferent,
Naji
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Blah, there's so few players today that I'll play in any level with anyone.

Beggers can't be choosers.
ArcherOmega
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by ArcherOmega »

SKILL FIGHTERS & NOOBS, BIG HEADS & DANCERITES, etc. :D Heheheâ?¦I just call them â??SHARPSHOOTERS & TUNNEL GUNNERSâ?
TheCops
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TheCops »

enjoyable post... i think i understand it.

but it doesn't explain monkey eating my shizz in skyboat so many moons ago only to make a jackass out of me at chilan. (how's the range target treating you man? i've been getting shot at a lot from crazy women who were graced with my penis ;-0 )

some peoples got the gift. i remember when lobotomy sucked and in no time frustrated me to the point of snapping my joystick in half. oh wait, that was sandmann.

:P :P
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

You're going to have to go back a little farther. The history was carved long before D3 bud. Cute though. Reminds me of some of the clan stories that were written back in the D1/D2 days.
Tangaroa
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tangaroa »

Ive played in varicose veins quite a few times, enjoyed it quite a bit too. I cant aim very well with, well, pretty much any weapon, but I miss particularly often with mass driver, but still, its fun becaus ehwn you hit you can often get a kill.

As for weapons, I usually aim for fusion, mass driver or quad super lasers (particularly in a phoenix), but if I cant get those, i will happily use what I can find, plasma on anything isnt too bad either, nor is microwave on a mag.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

I never liked the Mass Driver.

I say this because there wasn't much in D1/D2 that amounted to being a point-and-click instakill* weapon (earthshakers aside), even in the hands of a skilled user. There was a far greater emphasis on weaving and dodging streams of plasma or laser shots and crazy circular dogfighting with the homing missile sometimes thrown in. Dogfighting. Yup.

The Mass Driver upset that paradigm because it's a sniper scope weapon with few disadvantages if you can master it. Then, battles became less about insane projectile fights and more about two ships trying to line up the perfect shot. Whoever accomplishes this feat first wins.

There's also not a particularly good answer for it other than killing the sniper. In most FPS games, a targeted player could trace where the shot came from and lob chaingun projectiles like mad in that general direction, forcing the sniper to move or get the crap beat out of them. The design is also intentional that a sniper hole has finite entrances and exits. Once you're found, you better hightail it out of there and hope your would-be target isn't covering the only escape routes. Getting hit also screws up your aim, either by obscuring your view with blood or deliberately throwing off your view. Conversely, if a sniper rifle shot doesn't decapitate a target in an FPS (usually the only way to get an instagib), it's not usual to have any effect other than a health decrease. The viewpoint of the shot player doesn't get disoriented.

On a 2D plane with mouselook, that works just fine. It's very different in 360º though. There are far more ways to elude. You need only zip around vertically or weave in some diagonal direction to "elude" the target. With a fixed turning speed, the target can only react so quickly.

What this means, and what actually happens in Descent 3 games, is that the Mass Driver becomes a general use weapon rather than a specialized "utility weapon" like how a sniper rifle is in most games. You wouldn't want to use the sniper rifle in Unreal Tournament in a melee. The reload time is designed to render it almost useless. But in Descent 3, it's perfectly acceptable and there's little drawback to using it as such.

In short, there's no other weapon in Descent that's like the Mass Driver. In my opinion, as a result, it rather upset the balance that was so prevalent in D1/D2. :P

* = It's not to say that the Mass Driver is instakill since it clearly isn't. But as we all know, if it lands right, it can disorient the target, making it more difficult for them to launch a counterattack and leaving them vulnerable to get hit several more times.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Last night I caused considerable damage in VV, not because of my MD aim but because I was able to get into close range with the Fusion cannon often. In general VV pilots tend to rely almost exclusively on MD or Vauss for their kills, they are surprisingly vulnerable, even weak against the other weapons if you can get to close range in the tunnels. Most of the time I was eventually picked off with MD, but I did a large portion of my work with Fusion.

It was rather gratifying to take down a tank and a phoenix that were armed with MD while I was alone and using only quad superlasers.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

D1 had the best balance of weapons when you really look at it. You have to use all the weapons and use them well to win against good players. Sure, you have the standouts like Spread and Fusion but those weapons could always be offset by good vulcan aim or hit and run tactics with a combo of homers or smart missiles.

D2 had gauss and mercury missiles. Anyone with enough hours logged in D2 can tell you that in the hands of some of the best, gauss + mercs = game over. Guys that honed their aim with those two weapons usually came out on top. If they could keep you at a distance no other weapon had as much effect unless you too had the skills to take them out with counter gauss + mercs.

Don't get me started on D3. D3 blew the equilibrium of descent right out of the water. Up to a point there are balances and counter-balances but for the most part against the majority of players it is a point and click game. A frag here, impact mortar there, some MD oh, how about some napalm rockets as well. All avoidable of course, but destined to rack up the kills with very little skill involved. Add on top of that the puny primary weapons and funky netcode it makes for some very interesting outcomes. Then you take into consideration a few of the levels with iffy weapon mods. One has to wonder what the true intention of D3 was and you don't really have to look too hard to find it.

Regardless of which descent you're playing though, those with better aim, better flight mechanics and the better strategies usually end the day with the better stats.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Plasma in VV, at least while you're flying a phoenix, is one of the deadliest weapons. If you're circle-chording properly, with your finger glued to the trigger, EVERYTHING in the tunnel has to take damage. ALso, due to the fact that a trichording phoenix's speed is almost the same as a plasma blob, you can "stack" plasma blobs on top of each other. When you do this right, it makes it look like one plasma blob. Fire a frag or something to force a player into it, and watch them cry hack as your "one plasma blob" does 120 damage. ;)
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

oh, how could I have forgotten one of the biggest offsets between D3 and the other two descents. THE SHIPS! silly me.
sheepdog
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sheepdog »

I don't think the Mass Driver is a particularly useful weapon in small closed levels. You just don't have the time to set up and aim do you? The reload time is too slow too.

Am I agreeing with you or disagreeing with you Meaty? I couldn't understand your point about Skybox.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

great pilots don't tell you they're great, they show you. any level, any server, and against anyone. i know everyone in the community and so does just about everyone here, and i can tell you from damn near 10 years in the game, that the true "bigheads" in descent are not the people you are speaking of in your rant.
sheepdog wrote:I don't think the Mass Driver is a particularly useful weapon in small closed levels. You just don't have the time to set up and aim do you? The reload time is too slow too.
i beg to differ here. the md is an extremely useful weapon in a small level as long as the person wielding it has good aim. if you cant aim, the md is pretty useless in any level really though :P
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Mass driver is harder for any player to use in a small level. That doesn't make it useless. If anything, it's MORE useful; because the impact force will disorient more, and theres really no place to dodge.

On the other hand, it's almost ALWAYS harder to kill a guy with MD at close range than it is at long range. It takes a very skilled pilot.
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

Play any skilled pilot in MD and tell me that MD is hard to use in a closed level. ZeroCool and I used to have battle royals in there with pretty much just MD.
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

MD in places like PyroG is very strong as you're pretty much talking mid-long range in a tight tunnel (in which case your reticle doesn't have to go far to slug em) or cramming it up the ass (in which case their sheild sphere is like half your screen). The only way to deal with someone in PyroG using MD and keeping near the ends of halls is to push them out of their pattern with secondaries, close, and fusion dump hoping you hit and kill.