Morphius, we have a problem

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Morphius, we have a problem

Post by Dedman »

Was the idea for the Matrix movies stolen? You be the judge.
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

Go back about 3000 years further. The original Matrix concept was the story of Socrates as told by Plato. Unless they followed the plot almost exactly she's full of sh*t.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Biutch wants Christmas money ...
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

I hope she wins.

I'd hate to submit all of the movie ideas I have only to have them stolen, made into blockbuster movies, and never see a dime of it.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

This is old though...the lawsuit was filed on April 24, 2003? What's happened since then.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Not a whole lot obviously. Its been kept pretty quiet since then.
Vlider
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vlider »

Matrix came from among several things that somewhat inspired the writers.

ghost in a shell, necrosomething, kungfu films, religion, buddism, dark city.

there are a few things I've written that ended up being in movies that came out and only i knew of what i had written so its just the case of someone thinking of the same ideas that you're thinking of because writers in hollywood are desperately looking and thinking of the next big thing.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

While I don't discount her claim, I don't really criminalize the Wachowskis either. The Matrix was about more than just a storyline. There was a unique look to the entire movie. The desaturated tones, the costumes, the neat special effects, the mechanical realm of Zion, the martial arts - I'd be surprised to read how the heck that translated into text.

And as Phoenix Red said, it borrows heavily from Plato's Republic, particularly with regard to the allegory of the cave, not to mention various religious connotations (even the license plate on Agent Smith's car). It's also similar to Dark City, Ghost in the Shell, Blade Runner, and several other cyberpunk movies where man's existence and the makeup of the world is questioned. Even the Truman Show fits a similar mold of a protagonist who comes to the eerie realization - after noticing how obstensibly "perfect" the world is - that it might not be real.

That said, even if the script was stolen, tell me all of those added touches aren't worth anything.