Is Core Decision is really gonna happen?

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Do you think that HighOctane is really gonna make Core Decision?

Yes. I think it will be better than Descent.
7%
Yes. I think it is going to be the next Descent.
13%
Yes.
15%
Maybe. We'll see.
34%
They will but it won't be like Descent.
7%
No. They are full of hot air.
14%
No.
10%

Total votes: 86
Viper7
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Is Core Decision is really gonna happen?

Post by Viper7 »

Do you think that HighOctane is really gonna make Core Decision?
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

I can't comment.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

What's the point in idle speculation?

Three "D4" games have been cancelled so far. Best not to get your hopes and, and then be pleasantly surprised.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

3 what 3? I'm only aware of 2
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

D4 from the community
D4 from Violition that turned into Red Faction

And that one game, started with an A or something. I dont remembevr but they crashed.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Gooberman wrote:A
-GD Software, makers of dead game nTrap. The engine lived on to be used for some viz. music software tool.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

Prior to nTrap, there was zeroG marines too, remember that one :)
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Gooberman wrote:D4 from Violition that turned into Red Faction
I think I'm going to be sick again.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:
Gooberman wrote:D4 from Violition that turned into Red Faction
I think I'm going to be sick again.
Why be sick? Everyone else is joining in the FPS craze! Gee how many of thise bloodied up zombies can I blow up with this here shotgun? Wow, the veins comming out from that monster sure looks realistic! :roll:
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Why be sick? Everyone else is joining in the FPS craze! Gee how many of thise bloodied up zombies can I blow up with this here shotgun? Wow, the veins comming out from that monster sure looks realistic! :roll:
You completely missed the point of that quote. Red Faction by its self sucks major @$$ not FPS in general. Plus the idea of D4 turning into Red Faction.
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

Red Faction had great potential. But they failed with it. It didn't have vehicals in multi and the story was lacking. Too bad, I really enjoyed the game.

I'm optimistic twards High Octane
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I hope it happens, but one has to admit it's early days yet. Things sound a bit more solid than they did for AGD software, but you can't bank on its eventuation...
Inari
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Inari »

I agree fully with Mobius.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:You completely missed the point of that quote. Red Faction by its self sucks major @$$ not FPS in general. Plus the idea of D4 turning into Red Faction.
I believe you missed the point that game companies are stifling creativity by pushing the same damn formula over and over and over again into the market. Now im just curious and wonder how many more half lifes, unreal tournaments, quakes, and any other attempts to clone them and poorly attempt to unsucessfully mirror their sucess before the brainless masses become tired of the same old same old. Its going to happen where the FPS will be old, but when?
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Once again you jump to the wrong conclusion. I understand game companies and the marketing world better than you thing. Your first mistake was assuming I something against FPS. Which by all means I donâ??t. Second of all Iâ??m talking about Red Faction, and nothing else so stay on the topic. The game it self was ★■◆● from the beginning with very little to offer. Expect the Geo Mod of course. I donâ??t feel like getting into the details again unless I need to. Only because Iâ??ve gone them more than once.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

You sound like you are offended, this has absolutely nothing to do with you and I am talking about the gaming world in general. Granted I may not know as much as you do but I know enough to have an understanding. This goes beyond Red Faction, I am not just talking about that game.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Offended no, some what confused right about now. Yes. Ok youâ??re stating your opinion on games and thatâ??s fine. Iâ??m trying to figure out now why you quoted me on something different from what I posted at the start. How going from point A to me making a smart ass crack just only to that game. To point B with something different that involves marketing, and something about a formula. Ok this has nothing to do with me great. But why quote me something that I had no intentions on arguing about from the beginning.

All because of some miss understanding from the first quote. There for fighting two different types of arguments.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

I sense a trainwreck coming.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

You're the moderator. Do something, then. :roll:
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

I just did.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

His statement that there was a trainwreck coming was a threat of impending moderator smackdown, not a worry that things would get out of hand.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Don't worry this is far from going over the egde.

Fern check your PM.
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

If everyone said "yes, it is going to be better than Descent", the game developers might be encouraged. With all the skepticism even I'd be feeling a bit under stress. There are other ways to see things of course, but that is the one I chose :)

If this group makes a new game, I'll support them and buy it... then play it :D Right now all I can say is good luck, and don't give up!
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

Red Faction was weak simply because it was so uninspired and featured a gimmick that had marginal effect on gameplay. The single-player campaign was quite boring. I don't know how many hours were spent chasing that infernal Capek through the mines. It tried too hard to follow Half-Life's method of storytelling. In my opinion, the best "level" in Red Faction was the one where you had to sabotage the reactor. If the game was mission-based like this, instead of trying to imitate Half-Life, it would have been a stronger title (Volition must have agreed, because Red Faction 2 is far more objective-based).

It did have a very nice PC level editor though which greatly prolonged the lifespan of the game. People still play it and make levels for it. However, the hope of Red Faction 2 being editable was shot down early on.

Multiplayer had some interesting things going for it. Granted, it was entirely conventional, but it was executed well.

Geo-mod was a nifty technology on paper and in practice. That is, of course, where you could practice it. It was woefully limited and offered little reward. I remember one time I came to this big door. I wanted to get to the other side and so I started burrowing around it. After wasting umpteen rockets, I reached the door frame itself, and then it was impenetrable. Lame. For such an interesting feature, it's surprising how it's rarely used in the game. It would be neat to can areas with bridge supports you could blow out, or guard towers to fell, but in reality it never got more complicated than blowing one hole in a wall - something just as easily communicated with a destructable prop wall. Red Faction 2, for all of its superior visuals, seemed to rarely use geo-mod anywhere.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

If everyone said "yes, it is going to be better than Descent", the game developers might be encouraged. With all the skepticism even I'd be feeling a bit under stress
I don't think there would be a video game company in the world that would survive with that mindset.

The success of your game is directly proportional to how many people are on your boards complaining about how much it sucks. :P
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

Feedback and gamer opinion is indeed very important for the developers in order to make the game as good as possible. But I don't think encouraging them a little would hurt toooooo much :)
kencl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

What is it?

Post by kencl »

For infrequent visitors such as myself, it would be nice if this sticky had a link to more info on Core Decision. Just reading this thread I have no idea what it is.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re: What is it?

Post by WarAdvocat »

kencl wrote:For infrequent visitors such as myself, it would be nice if this sticky had a link to more info on Core Decision. Just reading this thread I have no idea what it is.
Kencl: All youranswers can befound HERE
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

same old same old... no follow through will occur. all these projects get bogged down for one reason or another. What have they done on that site since Nov? I just don't like the site either, You have to log in to see these supposed screenshots? Please... forget about it. If they updated every month with meaningful progress I would believe it, other wise they should have just kept there mouths shut till they had something substancial completed.
kencl
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by kencl »

Thanks. Reminds me of another game I've been waiting for years to show up, Deep Angel. Screenshots look nice though...
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

When was the last good flight sim? That is probably the one gaming genre that has not been exploited as far as it could... unlike FPS games like Doom, Quake, Half-Life, Medal of Honor, Wolfenstein, etc etc etc... Only really good flight sims I have played are D1, D2, D3, and a couple star wars games excluding the rebel assault games. Geez am I the only guy that likes to fly?
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Descent wasn't really a flight simulator. The only thing it had in common was that you aren't permanently fixed to the ground...
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Those arent exactly flight sims. Those are flying games.

Flight sims are simulators such as MSFS 9, Falcon 4.0, Jane's FA/18, ect.

For flying games, it would have to be Freelancer, though that game was never that popular anyway.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Is Core Decision is really gonna happen?

Post by Skyalmian »

Viper7 wrote:Do you think that HighOctane is really gonna make Core Decision?
1. Yes. It is currently slated for release in October 2006.
2. The league it will be using is the Eclipse Gaming League, which is run by Thutmose a.k.a. Anubis, a former member of Obsidian Dragon (OD) and current member of The Celestial Order (TCO) (and is also one of the creators of Kiith Draconis). Ever heard of him? He is a Descent 3 player.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Obsidian Dragon? Heh.
DarkHorse
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by DarkHorse »

Means absolutely nothing to me.

With any luck it will be sorted by that time; hopefully a publisher is arranged (I haven't checked the site for it). Imitating Descent would be the death of it though.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Skyalmian wrote:
Viper7 wrote:2. The league it will be using is the Eclipse Gaming League, which is run by Thutmose a.k.a. Anubis, a former member of Obsidian Dragon (OD) and current member of The Celestial Order (TCO) (and is also one of the creators of Kiith Draconis). Ever heard of him? He is a Descent 3 player.
I doubt that the devs will allow the game to be exclusive to any one ladder/games list service. :roll: They explicitly stated that it will be open to the community, which means anyone can offer up a place to list games or hold tournaments. Your paranoia is unfounded.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Top Wop wrote:
Skyalmian wrote:2. The league it will be using is the Eclipse Gaming League, which is run by Thutmose a.k.a. Anubis, a former member of Obsidian Dragon (OD) and current member of The Celestial Order (TCO) (and is also one of the creators of Kiith Draconis). Ever heard of him? He is a Descent 3 player.
I doubt that the devs will allow the game to be exclusive to any one ladder/games list service. :roll: They explicitly stated that it will be open to the community, which means anyone can offer up a place to list games or hold tournaments.
Good.
Fix your quotes. Viper7 didn't write that.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Obsidian Dragon was the really lame clan that got into the huge flamewar with D3k or some other big-time D3 clan.

Off topic: Skyalmian, nice "imperial flying monkey" icon. I want to make a D3 pilot with that name, but it's a little too long.
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

Lothar wrote:Obsidian Dragon was the really lame clan that got into the huge flamewar with D3k or some other big-time D3 clan.

ahhh the memories! :)