PSP Peripherals ($$$)

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Stupid
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

PSP Peripherals ($$$)

Post by Stupid »

I know the PSP has been selling in Japan for roughly $184 US, so it will be roughly $200 here. But what I don't know is how much the games and the UMB movies are going to cost. Does anyone here know? I've been reading a couple of different magazines (EGM and OPM), and neither of them mention HOW MUCH the games are retailing for. I'd like to know just so that I can get a rough estimate of how much money I'm going to be spending at the end of March! :? :x :evil: :twisted:
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

Just because the PSP is a hot item in japan doesnt mean its going to sel well here. Theirs is a destinctly technophile culture, ours is not (thank you red states).
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

remember how fast the PS2 sold here?
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

no... it be more like: Remember how fast the ngage bombed?

Im thinking sony is going to match the prices for PSP games inline with their PS2 games, rather than try to match Nintendo's prices.

Sony will find a way to mess it up.

It probably be lack of an effective quick save the FF7 game thats slated for the PSP. It won't be the vaunted Gameboy killer that people have been searching for the the last 15 years.
Warlock
DBB 3D Artist
DBB 3D Artist

Post by Warlock »

well its like the NeoGeo it sold well in JPN but here.....well.....not so good. But i think the psp is ganna do well and thats a good cost for it but i wont begetting the 1st gen ones im ganna wait about a year or so
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Why people buy consoles is beyond me.
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

It's hard to have your buddy over to play video games at your desk.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Besides, there are some truly good games out for consoles that aren't released for PC. Add to that the fun of playing something on a 32" TV instead of a 17" monitor, and you start to get a better picture.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

Lets not forget that the nGage was a poorly designed, overpriced, stupid POS that had little coverage before it's release.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

An aside question...when the nnew cosole players come out, will you be able to play the older games? I recall with the earlier models every new player subsequent meant you had to buy all new games for the new player. One reason I have since stuck with PC is I can still play my older games.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

The Gameboy and Gameboy Color games work with the Gameboy Advance. The same holds true for the PlayStation 2, the PlayStation 1 games all (except a small handful) work in it.

Not sure about the PS3 but I would imagine the PS1/PS2 games would work in it, asuming Sony doesn't want to shoot themselves in the foot.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

17" monitor?! gah..
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Just check eBay -- ppl are willingly paying $500 for a PSP..
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

We're a more techno-savvy culture then we were even just 10 years ago. Kids are a little bit more informed on whats going on and whats available for them and they know how to use stuff better then we were when stuff like the Gameboy or Nintendo first came out. Not like it was hard but we were raised on this stuff. Kids today were born with it :P I don't think Sony will have a problem.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Testiculese wrote:17" monitor?! gah..
Well, mine's 19", but I was trying to prove a point. My family has the 17", and it's a world away from the TV, as I'm sure you could guess. :P
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Unix wrote:It's hard to have your buddy over to play video games at your desk.

You don't have a Home LAN?
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Well of course I do, I was just trying to make a point.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

WarAdvocat wrote:
Unix wrote:It's hard to have your buddy over to play video games at your desk.

You don't have a Home LAN?
Not everyone has the moolah to go out and buy/assemble 3-4 systems; hell, my family doesn't have/need anything more than the single desktop. Compare that to the cost of one console and 4 controllers (plus a multitap for PS2), and you're talking a major reduction in price.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Top Gun wrote:
Testiculese wrote:17" monitor?! gah..
Well, mine's 19", but I was trying to prove a point. My family has the 17", and it's a world away from the TV, as I'm sure you could guess. :P
Its called "TV Out".
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Just for the sake of keeping this argument running, in order to do that, to the best of my understanding, one would have to purchase a specific type of video card, which definitely isn't an option for the tech-illiterate like me. :P Also, quite obviously, hooking up one's PC to the TV would prevent that TV from being used as such while the PC was in use, unless you went into some system of splitting inputs. My overall point is that, although I'm not a raving console fanboy, I don't think you can discredit them as gaming systems. Consoles were really the first medium by which people could bring the fun of the arcade into their own homes. Without such things as the Atari 2600, who knows if PC gaming would ever have really taken off?
Stupid
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stupid »

As far as PSP popularity goes, I am sure it will be as big of a hit here in the US as it was in Japan. I was at GameCrazy today, and I'm in a fairly small town. The guy there said they've already had 5 preorders for it, and it doesn't even come out until mid-March. I know I am for sure getting one, esp after looking at the quality of the graphics of the games. And for whoever said something about "no quicksave" messing it up, if you were a little more informed, there will be quicksaves in all of the games, from what I understand it will be similar to that of the PC emulator quicksaves.
Stupid
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Stupid »

Oh, and games will be $50, and the Final Fantasy VII sequel movies won't be out until 2006.
*Javed*
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by *Javed* »

2006?! Dude that's almost the entire reason why I'm going to buy the PSP :x