I need MD aiming tips

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

I need MD aiming tips

Post by Zero! »

okay ive been playing for 3 years, beaten some great pilots, but i still cant aim md for shiznit ;p i need some tips that u think might help me. i use mouse with sens at .20

Zee
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

hehe g1 krom :P

For 56k the most you can do is play instareap. For broadband... I would say the same :)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Don't zoom. I never zoom and I'd say I hit about 70% of my shots.
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

nvm stryker helped me out, thx
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

The only way I've been able to hit people with MD was with a last-second wrist-flick just before I hit the trigger. It's more subconscious than anything else; you just need to keep practicing. That other thread has some good ideas.
Couver_
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Couver_ »

Mouser? If so thats good instant click fire. Some joysticks by the time you pull the trigger and release on that huge throw the pilot of choice is way away.

I know you know the Vauss think of it in those terms. Once you know the Vauss leads MD is a lot easier. I try to use those two weaps to start to learn the level ping if nothing else.

*Disclaimer* This Pilot is Teh Suck to take all words with a grain of salt *disclaimer*
Spaceboy
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Spaceboy »

practice?
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

I like to try and slide parallel to their direction of motion.. that way they can often come to a (relative) standstill from my perspective and I just have to adjust my heading to put a round through them.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Mouse isn't instant click fire, unless it's broken. It has the same click, then release to fire.
MD-1224
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

How to Aim MD

Post by MD-1224 »

Here is how I aim MD. First, you have two controls:

1. Your turning controls, and
2. Your sliding controls.

First, never aim MD only with your turning controls. It's very hard to do it with your turning controls alone. You need to "finesse" the MD. Your turning controls, however, are effective at getting your crosshairs close to your target. That is what I do. I turn my ship towards my target only until my crosshairs are very close to my target. Then I slide my crosshairs onto the target to fine-tune my aim, using little slides. So I use the turning controls for "coarse, general" aim, and little slides for "fine" aiming. (Sometimes, you may blend these two, and other times, you may feel that you do the two separately, depending on the circumstance. Let your instinct take control.)

Sometimes you will fly against triple chording pilots who slide diagonally. I highly recommend learning to change direction while triple chording forwards or backwards. Doing this allows for maximum manueverability, and also allows you to use little, diagonal slides; not just left, right, up, and down slides. Little diagonal slides are more useful than you think!

You also need to properly adjust your sensitivity. For levels with long halls, leave it at 1.0. If you encounter a level with short hallways with lots of turns, you may need to upper the sensitivity. Sometimes you just need to experiment to see what the best sensitivity is. In Varicose Veins, I used to play with my joystick sensitivity up to 2.6. Now I play at either 2.0 or 1.0, because 2.6 makes it a little difficult to control.

This method that I use helps me aim the MD VERY well, and I land quite a few shots on my targets. :)

I recommend the Phoenix the most for aiming MD because you can turn one direction and suddenly, turn the other way much easier; the crosshairs are more "agile" and lets you change your turning direction quickly when it's most crucial, especially when you're trying to time a well-placed MD shot, using your turning as a way to get your crosshairs very close to the target and using little slides to get the crosshairs onto the target, and firing a round.

If anyone wants to, I can practice with whoever wants to practice, using InstaReap in Powerhouse (Monsterball level). However, it's been quite difficult to get back into D3 because I'm involved in school and hanging out with the Rangers playing D2 with them.

-- Material Defender-1224
Couver_
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Couver_ »

Testiculese wrote:Mouse isn't instant click fire, unless it's broken. It has the same click, then release to fire.
I ment the total throw is a lot less then on a joystick. Some triggers take a long time to pull then register comming back out for shot to register. A mouse has a lot less travel so you can "snap shot" faster.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I agree with couver.

Stick 'click' firing takes longer than mouse 'click' firing.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Probably, but only something like 75 ms, so why worry about it?
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

WarAdvocat wrote:I agree with couver.

Stick 'click' firing takes longer than mouse 'click' firing.
Ah, yet another reason the 3DPro is a great stick. Its trigger has no travel: it's like a mouse button.
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

actually,
I noticed the button vs. stick trigger thing on my old x-45's.
when I killed the trigger I changed my primary to a button so I could still play.
The difference was very noticeable! now I intentionally use a button for primaries and the trigger is now my secondaries.