D2X-XL Bug Reports - MS Windows

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Great work on the keyboard fixes. Unfortunately, however, a couple of other things have popped up. It seems as if both strafe and bank toggling no longer work, and it also appears that when rotational keyboard ramping is enabled, it's applied extra heavily on the up and down axis. Maybe you can take a look at it.
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

Hey Diedel, in regards to our chat on Kali earlier I realized we were thinking two different things...
<tNt> Verran, listen: The keyboard should be as fast as stick
<Tigeron> i get the same speed with joy in win95 d2 and w32.....2.6 sec
<tNt> or a stick player would have even more of an advantage
<Theftbot> tnt the kb is always faster
<tNt> so the stick is the reference
<tNt> all controls are capped to the same speed
...I thought you meant all the controls should be the same speed in D2 3DFX as D2x-W32, and only realized until later that you only meant in D2x-W32 (i.e. it has been changed compared to D2 3DFX). Sorry about the miscommunication!

Now understanding, I agree with Jeff250 that configurable keyboard ramping is a great idea because aiming is really tough at 100%.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Looks like it snuck away from you diedel...

ImageImage

these are from 1.2.4.

This may be related to the screen washing out as if you were hit by two flash missiles in rapid succession when picking up powerups in rapid succession.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Yeah, I was judging from the screenshot... haven't had time to take a proper look at the game mode yet. (Not that I could without someone to play it with anyway... D2X-W32, one player and team game modes don't mix quite like that.)

Edit: Okay, maybe not, it now lets me do that.

However, the CTF level still does strange things... if you want I can send it off to you in case there's something wrong with the level itself, but I can't seem to make flags return to base...
sir-qwerty
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sir-qwerty »

Unfortunatelly 1.2.4.0 doesn't launch at all.. just black screen, moving cursor and 99% of CPU eaten..
WinXP SP2, nVidia Detonators 66.93. D2X-win32 has been running fine until now.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Jeff,
  • I will check that.
Verran,
  • what I actually think is that D2X should

a) have the same turn speeds as the original D2 (DOS)
    b) turn speeds should be the same for keyboard, mouse, joystick, etc.

I don't believe however that a full rotation around the X axis lasted 9 secs in D2-DOS.
Ferno,
  • what level is that? (Actually I know it, but I don't remember the name.) The color effect is D2X rendering a transparently colored segment. Actually this should only happen for water and lava segments (can be set with DLE-XP), or for team-owned segments when playing Entropy and having team segment colorization turned on.
Sirius,
  • looks like I have screwed that up when adding Entropy. could you please e-mail me the level to karx11erx at hotmail dot com?
qwerty,
  • 1.2.3 worked?
sir-qwerty
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sir-qwerty »

Didn't catch previous. Last working 1.1.46. Is there any archive?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

qwerty,

I have a source code archive. 1.1.46 was the last "official" D2X-W32 version before 1.2.0, which has Entropy added.
sir-qwerty
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sir-qwerty »

May I ask you to compile this 1.1.46? I personally don't have any compiler.. Let's give it a try..
Dennis_1
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Dennis_1 »

D2X-W32 1.2xx
Single Player
Lower cockpit bar, the energy and afterburner bars do not behave correctly.

Great work, thank you for all you are doing for D2X
:)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

qwerty,

please try to delete your plr files (or just rename them to have another extension than '.plr') and then run D2X-W32.

Dennis,

it would have been nice to know what "not properly" means.
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Multiplayer mode through kali:

With version 1.2.0 I nor others could not enter a game. The error was that the map version is not the same as the other players in the game.

Tried 1.2.3 last night.
I could enter a game but then would be kicked out of the game.

The changes that were made to prevent the screen from washing out when picking up many Power-ups in quick succession works great. First I tried with gamma enabled but that did not work so well. Then I tried with gamma dissabled. still did work very well. Then I rechecked the box and for some reason it worked very well. You must have removed some interaction between regular dark/bright and the gamma functions unless the enable/disable box works in reverse. Anyway...this part works perfect whatever you did. :D

Edit: I just tried in version 1.2.5 with the box checked and it still works great.

I could not get any zoom function to work with the gauss or vulcan in single player. The screen would jiggle a little but that was it (Pressing right shift key).

I am still using version 1.1.46 for multiplayer.
sir-qwerty
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sir-qwerty »

Neither moving PLR and SG files nor replacing INI helps. Still the same.
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Diedel:

One thing I have noticed regarding player files
It seems if you use your player file on a newer version of D2X-W32 then what you are currently using, you have problems if you try to use it on the previous vesion.

Example:
you are running on say version 1.1.43 then you run the same player file on version 1.1.44. The new verson does not work (some feature) so you revert back to your 1.1.43 version. The player file will not function and it is necessary to make a new player file.

since it is a hassle to make a new player file I keep an old one that I used on regular D2X which always seems to work on a newer version of W32. I have since just kept a player file with each of your updates. I have noticed this prob with quite a few of your updates. Sorry that I did not think to say anything about it earlier.

Again, I run on XP with an Nvidia GeForce 4 but I do not use the latest drivers. i use 45.23 drivers as anything later than that prevents my 3D video stereo from funcitoning correctly.
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Just tried out 1.2.5 in multiplayer.

I get the error that the map is not the same version.
it did let me into the game but then kicked me back out.

before when I received this error I could not get into the game at all, which would be correct if the maps were not the same.

Still using 1.1.46
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Tiger,

the map version problem must be caused by my adding segment owners and groups to the segment data, and these are changing the level data checksum D2 computes ... d'oh. I need to find a workaround for this.

I don't really understand these problems with plr files. If I expand the plr file (with some new permanent game setting like zoom state or so), the plr file gets a new version id in the header. The code reading the plr file checks for the version id and only reads the plr file as far as it "knows" it.

Example:

D2X ver 1.1.45 plr file id = 36
last value = zoom state

D2X ver 1.1.46 plr file id = 37
2nd last value = zoom state
last value = brightness method

Now if v1.1.45 reads a 1.1.46 plr file, it simply stops reading it after the zoom value. That way new plr files should stay compatible with old plr file versions.
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

If I understand correctly then an old player file should not show up your new addition (Zoom) for example. But I do see your additions. Maybe since the player file is used on say an older version without the addition that was there prevents the file from working on the older version...That makes snese to me.

If I am still all screwed up and if it will help you, I will offer the old player file that I use as say a base player file when I find one that does not work on a version. If you want it then grab me on the Rangers sever and I will offer it up.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Zoom state will not be read from an old player file, but as soon as you quit a new D2X-W32 version, it will update that old player file, turning it into a new one.
Verran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Verran »

Can anyone recommend some software I can use to capture a movie for D2-DOS or 3DFX? I tried FRAPS but guess it won't work with anything non-DX/GL.

Also can anyone confirm the turn rate I'm seeing?
The pitch (look up/down) for me in D2-DOS and 3DFX takes about 8-9 seconds.

Thanks!
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

error 404: Datei nicht gefunden!

Das angegebene Dokument konnte auf diesem Server leider nicht gefunden werden.

via http://www.brockart.de/descent/resources/d2x-w32.zip
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

You were too fast. ;)

I had yet to upload the new version.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

when you get the chance and you can check this yourself, under the multiplayer menu just select start ipx game hit escape then udp or multicast game and then go back to ipx menu. info from udp/multicast screen appears in the ipx menu as garbage. I was able to clear it by exiting the game and restarting. not high on the list but something to look at.

Also is there a way to add into the d2x.cfg to autopopulate the ip address for udp games for users behind routers?

btw i have yet to successfully get d2x-w32 to see or host ipx games via kali on a xp machine. i must be missing some trick to be seen. works fine over internal network
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

I have a question.
How do I start an UDP/IP Entropy game?

Thanks
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Diedel:

bad bug in 1.2.6 and 1.2.7

at times when you drop a load (4) bombs, the first and second bomb can at times be smart mines.

This appears to happen only in multiplayer mode. Could not get it to happen in single player mode.

this has happened with two different levels...your tomb level and vamped.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Falcon,
  • there is a new game option "Entropy" in the game options menu, somewhere below the "Hoard" radio button. Chose that and you are ready to go.
Tiger,
  • I will check that.
Bubbalu,
  • We had no problems yesterday playing KALI/IPX mp games with v1.2.7.
Tigeron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Tigeron »

Just tried ver 1.2.8

FPS went from 50 to 33.

Cannot increase fps by lowering resolution anymore,
(800 X 600 is still 33 fps).

When I engage 3D video stereo fps drops another 14 frames. Use to only drop 2 or 3 fps.

No Radar in single player.

In the first graticule there is no text, has a green bar instead.

The problem with the 1st and 2nd bombs (in a series of dropping 4 bombs) changing to smart mines was confirmed with two different players in different games. So I am not the only one that has this problem. Smart mines were de-selected in the weapons options.
Lehm
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Lehm »

Tigeron - That might be my fault. What kind of graphics card do you have? Also what is 3D video stereo?
sir-qwerty
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by sir-qwerty »

I wonder what could happen in 1.2.xx... still doesn't run. I've tried to do fresh install of D2 and d2x-win32, tried to remove .INI file, tried to set XP -> 98 compatibility mode.. with no luck.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

set all the exe's in the d2 directory to win98 or win2k mode the latter is what i did for kali play (yes i figured it out)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I have fixed the smart mine bug. It was caused by some entropy code that was executed in non-entropy games.
Lehm
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Lehm »

I'm getting a really bad slowdown on the new version. My own version doesn't do this.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

hey diedel, i found out the name of the level in my sshots. Bonzai.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Lehm,

slow down? Low FPS? Please check my source code for bugs. I have bracketed multi_texturing in #if OGL_MULTI_TEXTURING #else #endif.

There's another problem: Cockpit windows (Radar) are transparent now (no black background).
Lehm
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Lehm »

Yeah my fps were cut in half. I'll check the new source and get back to you, I'll PM you if I find a problem.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Transp. radar fixed.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

yea.. looks like I now have some pretty bad FPS drops whenever i come to a room with a lot of faces present and I fire off a concussion. Also, the colored lighting bug is still persistent (I'm using Creeper as a test bed now.)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Ferno,

what exactly do you consider a bug? Simply posting a picture is not enough, I need to know exactly what you think is wrong. And next time please post a level name also.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

sure.. i'll record a video using fraps.. it'll be done in about twenty minutes.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Ferno,
  • Please tell me with words what you think is wrong.
@all,
  • I have disabled multitexturing for the time being and hope this has resolved any frame rate drop issues.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

I had a reply typed up, but I lost it when a forced reboot happened.

but here's the video as promised: http://www3.telus.net/murd0ch/d2x-w32%2 ... (DiVX).avi

Whenever I fire off a concussion in there the FPS drops down to half. you can't see it in that video and I'm not going to post the raw 165mb vid.