Laptops

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Laptops

Post by Asrale »

So I'll be in the market for a new laptop pretty soon. These are my requirements:

- 1.7GHz minimum (AMD or Intel)
- at least 512MB RAM
- integrated Ethernet and 802.11G wireless
- extended battery life (3 hours minimum)
- DirectX 9 GPU w/ minimum 128MB RAM
- combo optical drive (DVD/CD-RW)
- $2000 limit

Throw out any comments/suggestions/rants! I've been out of the laptop loop for a few years so educate me on the times. ;)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Dell, HP/Compaq, Toshiba

Make sure the vidcard doens't share memeory with RAM.
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

and get the extended warrenty.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

Cuda68-2 wrote:and get the extended warrenty.
...that covers screen damage.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

do NOT, repeat, do NOT, get a Compaq laptop.

Unless you like having your motherboard go up in smoke about a month after the warranty expires. On two different laptops. If that's the case, go right ahead and get the Compaq.
STRESSTEST
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by STRESSTEST »

My Evo is a Compaq and it serves well. Plays games perty well too.... And it's plenty old enough to say the hardware in it is stable...
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Toshiba are the Cadillacs of laptops.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Dell, HP/Compaq, Toshiba

Make sure the vidcard doens't share memeory with RAM.

most of the laptops now days dont share system RAM anymore, they have VRAM Modules for the GPU's
CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CritterB »

Try looking at Emachines. My mom got one last year and I have not had a single tech support call from her dealing with it. That is amazing in itself considering I have had multiple calls about her two desktops. It has an athlon 64 and was a geat deal after the rebate from Best Buy.

I would also look at an IBM. They are expensive but I have a thinkpad a31p that was like $4200 3.5 years ago and it still runs everything I need for work including heavy GIS work and very large raster images. We quit buying Dells at work as we were having problems with bot th laptops and the desktops. And my wife's company (Progress Energy) had a ton of Compaq laptops and many, many of them had problems. They all have IBM's now. And I am still pretty sure that there are a ton of laptops that still share the main memory for graphics. Stay away from those if you want to play games.

If games are what you want it for then just gets lots of ram, a nice screen and a kick butt video card. I think Nvidia just came out with a new mobile video card (GeForce Go 6800 maybe?). Good luck. Decide what you want it for and build it for that. When I got my IBM I got an OpenGL certified video card (FireGl 8700 or something like that) and it cost a bunch at the time but I still use it and it works well.

Also, if you want it to last a long time then get the best that you can afford right now. Laptops are not nearly as upgradeable as desktops so try and get everything you will possibly want it to have as you may not be able to add it later.

For a top of the line outrageous game laptop check out voodoopc here:
http://voodoopc.com/showRoom.aspx?categoryID=2
They usually get some of the best laptop parts first so you can window shop specs there as well.
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

The Turion 25 Watters look nice.
They go up to 1.8GHz and 1MB of L2 Cache (MT-34) for only $268.
Thats cheaper and better than Intel's Pentium M 745 which runs at 1.8GHz and has 2MB of L2 Cache ($300).
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

the only problems i have had out of compaq laptops are:

untill just recently, they were a intricate maze of parts that took forever to do the most simplistic of common repairs.

crappy "must have installed" software

completely stripped out BIOS Setups.

my brother owns a Presario 2100US and the only problem its had soo far is this: CPU/HS Fan died after 3 1/2 years. other than the "Stripped of features" BIOS, i removed all the crappy Compaq/HP software and it works just fine. a few apps were needed to operate a couple of the audio, touchpad, web button features is all thats left on the HDD from compaq.
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

Yep, I had a 2100. Never had any problems except I wanted more power. But that's hardly the fault of the laptop, it served the purpose it was intended for, I just decided the purpose had to change after a while. ;)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

my EVO n115's both fried within a month of each other. Hence, I'm firmly on the "don't buy Compaq" bandwagon.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Plebeian wrote:Yep, I had a 2100. Never had any problems except I wanted more power. But that's hardly the fault of the laptop, it served the purpose it was intended for, I just decided the purpose had to change after a while. ;)

yeah, he doesnt play any games, but he doesnt know stink from foshiznit about keeping computers clean of viruses and ad/spy ware. at least once every two weeks he calls me saying his laptop is slow. first thing i do, is unhide a special folder when he isnt looking, and its where i installed S&D 1.3, AVG and Adware SE. run all 3, rehide the folder while he isnt looking and give it back.

every now and then, he will leave it on. i have Windows remote running with a very nice large alphanumerical password. ill do it when hes either boozed up or knocked da f00k out.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

why not just install those things and leave them running, and say "don't shut this off. It keeps your computer safe from hackers" ?
Wang_Lo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Wang_Lo »

lol, but i just got a toshiba m35-s161, very nice, will play some games but not a lot, it does CS 1.6 so woot.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Big vote for Toshiba.

Back in the day I worked for a PC store and repair outfit, the only laptops NEVER to come back were Toshibas.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

My Dell has been working fine for me for the past few years. Go to their website and customize an Inspiron 9300. You can get all the features you want, although I didn't price it out myself. Their "base price" of 1200 or so doesn't include most of the things you want.
Samuel Dravis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Samuel Dravis »

Tetrad wrote:My Dell has been working fine for me for the past few years. Go to their website and customize an Inspiron 9300. You can get all the features you want, although I didn't price it out myself. Their "base price" of 1200 or so doesn't include most of the things you want.
Yeah, I was thinking of getting one of those. There's a deal that gets your $750 off over a $1999 purchase supposedly, but I can't get it to work (no, it's not expired yet)...

http://cheap.typepad.com/cheapster/comp ... index.html

Code: 1JNJXG38DV2J0S
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Falcon Northwest FragBook
Alienware A-51m

Back on Topic

Toshiba
Gateway
Gateway-Retail(E-machines)
Dell

in that order

Never a Celeron
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Lothar wrote:why not just install those things and leave them running, and say "don't shut this off. It keeps your computer safe from hackers" ?

uhh yeah....you want to try that with my stubborn brother? i tell him to leave that stuff running, he turns it off the moment i walk away. :roll:
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

BUBBALOU wrote:Falcon Northwest FragBook

i love this one:

CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CritterB »

I'm telling you, for a decent deal after rebates check out an emachines laptop. You get a lot for your money. And the fact that gateway bought Emachines and then put the Emachines guy in charge of Gateway should tell you something.
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

Got an eMachine desktop (not terribly long before Gateway bought them out). Good "value" system, been really surprised that I haven't had any issues with it.

However, that doesn't say much about their laptops, could be horrible, it's been known to happen at times (one line is awesome, the other is complete crap).
Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Asrale »

Hmmm....most of those "mass-market" vendors don't really have what I'm looking for, which is a Centrino (for longer battery life) paired with a DX9 GPU that has at least 128MB RAM.

So I've been looking at the boutique vendors and while they're more expensive, they also have what I need. Anyone know much about the ABS Mayhem G2, or the Hypersonic Aviator CX5? Or other similar laptops that pair Centrino with a Radeon 9700 Mobility or GeForce FX Go5700?
Top Wop wrote:Toshiba are the Cadillacs of laptops.
And wow, I don't know if it's my age (23) but I have no clue what that means, how old are those cars? :P
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

http://pctorque.com/4880.php

Sager 4880, pairs Pentium M with Radeon X700 (PCI-E version of 9700, essentially). Just something else to also look at.

Not sure much about ABS or Hypersonic, though I think Hypersonic at least is supposed to be a decent brand. Most of them are just versions of the same base product in any case. :) Thought Hypersonic was one that shared a Clevo base with Sager, but it doesn't quite look the same. *shrug*
Admiral LSD
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral LSD »

Asrale wrote:
Top Wop wrote:Toshiba are the Cadillacs of laptops.
And wow, I don't know if it's my age (23) but I have no clue what that means, how old are those cars? :P
JEEBUS! I'm 23, don't live in the States and even I know what a Cadillac is :P
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

You've never heard of a Cadillac? o_O
Xamindar
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Xamindar »

But at least he knew it was a car. :roll:
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

And you haven't seen all of the "under 5" commercials for the brand-new model? They show those things all the time. :P

P.S. Is anyone else simultaneously excited and weirded-out by the idea of a Caddy with an under-5 time?
Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Asrale »

Holy freaking crap, that Sager 4880 kicks ass, I can configure a dream laptop easily and still have it under $2000, awesome. Man, laptops are getting ridiculously powerful!

Anyway, I know what a Cadillac is, but my family never owned one, I don't own one, and I don't watch TV either, the last time I heard the name was like over 15 years ago. Geez. ;)
Samuel Dravis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Samuel Dravis »

Hey guys, I found a couple that I like and want to know what you think about them...

Dell 9300
17 inch UltraSharpâ?¢ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife
XP Pro
Intel® Pentium® M 730 Processor
512MB RAM
60GB HD
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
Two 9-cell Lithium Ion Batteries (80 WHr)
128MB ATIsâ?¢ Mobility Radeonâ?¢ X300
Intel®PRO/Wireless 2915 Internal Wireless802.11 a/b/g,54Mbps

OR

Toshiba Satellite P30

Microsoft® Works
Atheros® Wireless LAN (802.11b/g)
Intel® Celeron® D Processor 340 (2.93GHz, 256K L2 cache, 533MHz FSB)
ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M IGP w/up to 128 MB shared memory
60GB HDD (4200rpm)
CD and Instant Play Keys
17.0" Wide XGA TruBrite display (1440 x 900, CSV High Brightness)
512MB PC2700 DDR333 SDRAM (256MBx2)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional (SP2)
DVD/CD-RW multifunction drive,
harman/kardon® speakers,
1-Year Standard Limited Warranty

Thanks. My price limit is about 1500 (but on a Dell I can get 750 off, so it can go to 2000).
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

Yep, laptops are getting pretty rediculous these days. Gone are the days of only having portable, underpowered models. The portable models are pretty good, and the desktop-replacements are insane. I know I like my Sager 8790 (DTR), but it's only portable in the sense that you can carry without your arms falling off (barely). :lol:

For reviews and info on the Sager models, you can check out the boards at notebookforums.com. It's run by PCTorque (respected Sager distributor), but they also have a bunch of other forums for various other brands, as well. There's no boards specifically for Hypersonic or ABS (or Voodoo or anyone else similar to Sager), but there's enough people on there who do research and buy some of them that you can probably get some good info on those (or the similar, less-expensive versions of the boutique-carried products), as well. :)
CritterB
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by CritterB »

I've heard a lot of good things about Sager. I also seem to remember hearing that they actually make the chassis for many of the high end custom laptop companies.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Wow, you must really live under a rock. :P

Cadillac is typically associated with luxury and quality. Like "I want a Cadillac woman", ect. They happen to be great cars as well. Hence the analogy.

But as with other things, notebooks that are not mass-market such as Toshiba are more expensive, but with good reason: it aint a Dell. ;)
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

AceCombat wrote:
BUBBALOU wrote:Falcon Northwest FragBook

i love this one:

<3
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

CritterB wrote:I've heard a lot of good things about Sager. I also seem to remember hearing that they actually make the chassis for many of the high end custom laptop companies.
Sager is actually just using the same chassis as most of the other vendors. Clevo and Compal I believe are the two companies that actually make the chassis for the various models, and places like Sager finish the work (may have specific add-ons, or might paint the cover, or whatever). :)

But you can kinda see it as Sager being the "base" model, because they by default build them as just a "regular" laptop. No paint or other fancy bits, just a nice laptop. (Though you can have a painted Sager if you want, through PCTorque, and they're painted before assembly, leaving your warranty from Sager intact.) Slap a badge from another company on it, and no one would think anything was out of place. (Unlike say putting a Dell badge on an Alienware. People might notice it doesn't look like a Dell.)
Chris
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Chris »

Yeah, I would definatly reccomend Sager. The truth is, companies like Alienware, VoodooPC, Hypersonic, Falcon Northwest, Eurocom or ITC all sell the exact same computer, but for a lot more money. Remember that none of these compaines actually build these laptops. Clevo sells them to Sager, and then Sager sells them to the other resellers.

PCTorque is a great company to do business with. They run their own forums (notebookforums.com), and ship faster than any other reseller. Oh, and it's a pretty fine computer, too.
Plebeian
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Plebeian »

I thought that all the Voodoos and such just got theirs from Clevo/Compal like Sager did (not all the same options are always available, though it could be because of some parts being replaced after final assembly). But it would make the price differences make more sense, if they had to buy from Sager and then resell them (since then you have to pay for the original computer, the modifications, and then the profit margin).

I guess this is turning into the "Sager Fanboy" thread now... :lol: But I love mine, and there seems to be few people overall who have been displeased with Sager or PCTorque. (And usually people who are upset with Sager are very happy with PCTorque, since they'll contact Sager on your behalf if Sager doesn't seem to be handling your case like they should. Which isn't common, but does happen.)

And another plug for notebookforums.com. Very little flaming, lots of knowledgeable people on there, and there's not really that much of a Sager bias. (There's a PCTorque bias, but that's just because they're Good People(tm).) Major brands that have forums include Dell, Apple, Toshiba, Alienware, so there's a lot of different people on there to give input in various areas, and I've yet to see anyone suggesting a laptop model that doesn't really fit the poster's needs. :)
Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Asrale »

Thanks for the posts all, really helped in my research. Compared the Toshiba Tecra S2 with the Dell 9300 and the Gateway M460XL and that Sager 4880, but each one of them had a deficiency in some way, like an under-equipped GPU (only 64MB video RAM), or 333MHz RAM, or an abnormally high price.

That's when I discovered the Asus Z71V which came out just weeks ago apparently. Excellent specs. Ordered it yesterday from xmeld.com and looking forward to receiving it! :)