New website!

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

How is the new look?

Looks great! I like it!
20%
Looks better than it used to, but it's still not very good.
40%
I'll post my suggestion on how to improve it.--there's still room for improvement.
No votes
What's a website?
No votes
*vomit*
40%

Total votes: 10
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

New website!

Post by Stryker »

Well, I've decided to revamp my website, http://www.stryker2.com. What do you think of the new look?

Click on the old website link to see what it used to be.

I think it's definitely a change for the better, but there's still a lot of work to be done to get it fully functioning.

Edit: the website is best viewed under IE, where it will play the button sounds and the transparency works. It still works in mozilla, but the table transparency doesn't work (evidently mozilla blocks it for some reason) and the button sounds aren't available.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

the background is not a good idea.

if anything the background should be subtle - it shouldn't stand out like that unless the background image means something to your site.

but i should say good work on the tables and frames, it makes it a lot neater than the old site.

red and black used like you have used them in the buttons generally connotate blood and death, the first thing i think of when i see the font is blood/death (even though the font itself may actually be kinda techy - all i see is the blood/death colours). is that what you wanna go for?

it's definitely got potential, frames and custom buttons show that you're taking enough of an interest to be able to get something you're happy with. keep me updated eh, i really would like to watch this develop :)
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Hmm... Blood and death wasn't exactly my intention. I think changing the original font color will do that... *sigh* I guess this means redoing the button pictures. :P

What were you viewing the website with? IE? Would simply making the background more opaque instead of transparent help?

Edit: The font is halo's default font. Despite the fact that I've never owned, and never will own halo, it's still a cool-looking font. :)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

oh yeah fergot, firefox.

i'm sure that font will look good. if you have no idea where to start with other colours for it - try blue, that's a good tech-font colour.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Ah, firefox won't display the table transparency correctly, it appears. The background is normally just slightly visible under all of the table.

I like that font, but I think I probably will go to either blue or some variant thereof for the default font color instead of red.

Edit: I just changed the font colors. They're a little harder to see; I'm not sure if I like that or not. I might change it to a gold gradient if people dislike this.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Sorry for the double post, but...

All parts of the site are now functioning. The descent 3 gallery still has a long ways to go, as it appears that I'm going to have to do some funky things with frames to get it working correctly, and to display all information I want to display.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Hey Stryker, I've got a few comments and suggestions, if you're interested.

The transparency isn't blocked by Mozilla, the unfortunate fact is that "filter:alpha(opacity=%)" is an IE (Microsoft) invention. It just doesn't exist outside of IE--none of the filters do.

If you're able to do a little server-side scripting (if your host supports ASP or PHP), you could have it load with the filter for Internet Explorer, and with a partially transparent black PNG background image for other browsers (IE doesn't support the PNG's partial transparency... pillocks :P).

The button sounds aren't available because the <bgsound> tag is another invention of IE. I personally like it better than the cross-platform compatible <embed> tag, which can be used with sounds, but insists on loading the audio files before continuing with the parsing/loading of the page (also, the src of bgsound can be changed dynamically, but the embed src cannot).

Guess who's into Web Design? ;)

I think your page might be more enjoyable if you find a way to display the content (images, mainly) that requires as little scrolling as possible. When I view your gallery I have to scroll vertically and horizontally to see the whole picture, most of the time.

Nice site. :)
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Thanks for the tips! The transparency isn't such a big issue... but that gallery's been annoying me, too. I've been trying to figure out a way of displaying it that won't require me scripting a button for each and every picture I want to display. :P
Badboy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Badboy »

Find a template on a website that you can download for free, then customize it change colors move some things, get rid of some areas you dont like, etc.

Thats what I did. :)

www.nfz.v8web.com

But still working on my crappy forum :wink:

http://nfz.v8web.com/phpBB2/index.php