Descent3/Halo LAN - Pittsburgh - June 4 & 5

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Descent3/Halo LAN - Pittsburgh - June 4 & 5

Post by Angel of Death »

Now that the event has been set for the weekend of June 4th and 5th, I need some input on a few things.

What maps should be available?

What type of tournaments?
- 1v1
- 2v2
- ctf, hoard, entropy

Which refreshments?
- pizza, hoagies/subs, hotdogs/hamburgers
- cola, ginger ale, lemon-lime, water, juice, bawls

Any other questions, comments, or suggestions are welcomed.
melvin
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by melvin »

im in the mood for ugh.
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

All of the above :)
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Unstickied the other and stickied this one as per AoD's request.
Pugwash
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pugwash »

where is this gonna be held and do you have enough power for all the machines? You can get 4 machines on a 15amp circuit. Remember many outlets may share 1 circuit. A room with 10 outlets may only be on one circuit.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

All the above.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

Maybe some instareap, FF TA, too. (Did that mod that had the friendly fire option ever get officially released?)
Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Angel of Death »

melvin wrote:im in the mood for ugh
Okay. I'll ask..."ugh"?

If no one is particular about the refreshments, then I'll just try to get a variety. I'm thinking about doing pizza one day, and hoagie/sub on the other.

Thank you, once again, punisher. You've been very accommodating.

Pugwash wrote:where is this gonna be held and do you have enough power for all the machines?
It will be some where in the South Hills of Pittsburgh (Green Tree, Castle Shannon, Bridgeville, etc.), but I can't set an exact location until I have a better idea of the number of attendees. This is for exactly the reason that you mentioned. I'm estimating between 3 and 4 amps/computer. I'll definitely map the layout of circuits and outlets, before I set up the extension cords, power strips, and seating chart. I have locations in mind that can handle approximately 30, 50, 100, and 150+. In the unlikely event that more than 150 would register, I can always rent a generator.

Thank you for the suggestions, snoopy. I can get the instareap mod, as well as levels for it, but I'm not familiar with FF TA (and couldn't find information about it).
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

link

I'm talking aboiut the "Teams" mod.
Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Angel of Death »

Thanks for the link, snoopy.

I'm willing to support any mods and maps that people want.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Angel of Death wrote:
Okay. I'll ask..."ugh"?
He's probably referring to a tiny but ridiculously popular D1 level called "ugh". Sirian told kufyit to choose a level for a match they were playing, and kufyit (notorious for not wanting to choose levels) said "ugh", so Sirian built a level in about 10 minutes and named it "ugh". It has 3 fusion cannons, one energy bay, and all of the spawn points are in a line (ewww.)

It makes for very good Descent matches. Perhaps he was hinting at an ugh tourney...
Jesus Freak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Jesus Freak »

Lothar wrote:
Angel of Death wrote:
Okay. I'll ask..."ugh"?
He's probably referring to a tiny but ridiculously popular D1 level called "ugh". Sirian told kufyit to choose a level for a match they were playing, and kufyit (notorious for not wanting to choose levels) said "ugh", so Sirian built a level in about 10 minutes and named it "ugh". It has 3 fusion cannons, one energy bay, and all of the spawn points are in a line (ewww.)

It makes for very good Descent matches. Perhaps he was hinting at an ugh tourney...
Ugh is the best Descent level made in 10 mins, that's for sure :) I'd prefer The Cannery though.

As for food, I like a variety, and will eat anything u throw at me, so yeah...
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

ugh? the cannery? i may come out to sex0r mel just yet.
Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Angel of Death »

I have two more questions, now.
(1)How many of you will want to rent a monitor and/or computer for this event? I can make them available, if there is interest. Rates (for the length of the LAN) will probably be $30 for a monitor (between 17" and 19" CRT) and $65 for a computer and monitor (specifications will depend on what is currently available, but minimums should be 2+ GHz, 512MB RAM, 128MB graphics card, and 7,200RPM HDD). I'll get more details, as needed.
(2)Which version of Halo do you want?
Lothar wrote:He's probably referring to a tiny but ridiculously popular D1 level called "ugh"
Sometimes, inspiration comes from unusual sources, and that's certainly an inspired name...LOL.
Jesus Freak wrote:I'd prefer The Cannery though
I'll add it to the list :)
kurupt wrote:ugh? the cannery? i may come out to sex0r mel just yet
I don't really have a reply to this. I just thought that it should be repeated :shock:
melvin
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by melvin »

how much to get in?! and kur, i dont know how you've resisted me for so long.
[CG]Moon
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by [CG]Moon »

Testiculese wrote:All the above.
We'll go get steak salads and leave them to their pizza! :wink:
kurupt wrote:ugh? the cannery? i may come out to sex0r mel just yet.
Anyone wanting to sex0r Mel must first get my approval and give me $50.

I'm pretty sure Solo and I will be there barring some unforseen emergency or ridiculous entry cost. Someone has to promise to play d1 or d2 with me though. :P
Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Angel of Death »

I looked through the history of the other threads, because I was certain that I had posted the entrance fee. As it turns out, I was not as certain as I thought, or I'm blind and can't find it :oops:

It's $25 for the weekend. This includes the CAT cable from your computer to the hub/switch, participation in the tournaments, one meal per day, and a couple/few drinks per day. This does not include a power strip (I will have several, but I do not guarantee enough for every computer. Please, bring your own.), alcoholic beverages (I'll do my best to make sure that you are allowed to bring your own), computer or monitor rental, hotel/motel stay, sex0ring mel (you'll have to arrange payment for that, on your own), bailing you out of jail, etc.
[CG]Moon
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by [CG]Moon »

Alcoholic beverages! We're in!
Sirian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sirian »

A chance to watch Moon teetering around the room while tipsy might be worth a look. :)

I would -have- to rent a computer, though, since I've got prototype software on mine now and would lose my job, get sued in to the dirt and possibly jailed if someone grabbed it over the LAN or even just took a peek.

I'm really fussy about computers, though. No fun to play Descent if the rig isn't adequate. My pilot wouldn't be on it. My last stick is too flaky and I probably don't want to get another just for one weekend. My levels and mods and stuff wouldn't be there, nor D1 and D2, and it would be hella work to get all this stuff lined up on a new box in time to actually have some fun. And I'm not sure I can make the trip anyway, but if the LAN is definitely happening, then I'll think about it and see what I can come up with. My car might be an issue as well.

Also, I'm not too sure about these levels and mods. Ugh? Cannery? Teams mod? Sounds crappy. I wonder what kind of losers are responsible for stuff named like that? 8)

- Sirian
[CG]Moon
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by [CG]Moon »

Sirian wrote:A chance to watch Moon teetering around the room while tipsy might be worth a look. :)

I would -have- to rent a computer, though, since I've got prototype software on mine now and would lose my job, get sued in to the dirt and possibly jailed if someone grabbed it over the LAN or even just took a peek.
- Sirian
Might?

I'm sure we can hook you up. We have like 4 monitors and 3 computers in this house. I'd talk to Solo. You can also crash at our house if you make it out. That'd be rad. :)

Check ebay for a new stick!
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

If you're looking for a 3d pro, I've got a couple fresh ones floating around... I'd like to hang on to them if I can, but I'd be happy to let yah use one fo them as a loaner. When's deadline on regestering? I'll be freshly graduated and might or might not have a job/money interfereing with my attempts to LAN- but I'd love to make it out there.
Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Angel of Death »

Sirian wrote:I would -have- to rent a computer ...
I'm really fussy about computers, though. No fun to play Descent if the rig isn't adequate. My pilot wouldn't be on it. My last stick is too flaky and I probably don't want to get another just for one weekend. My levels and mods and stuff wouldn't be there, nor D1 and D2
Here are the specifications for the rental computers:

- AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor Socket 939
- MSI K8N NEO4-F nForce4 Athlon 64 Socket 939 w/audio, Gigabit LAN, and SATA w/RAID
- 1GB Corsair PC3200 CAS2.5 Value Select
- Chaintech GeForce 6600 GT PCI Express 128MB DDR3
- Western Digital Caviar 80GB SATA 7200RPM w/8MB Cache
- Liteon 52X E-IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM
- Logisys Acrylic Case
- 17+ inch Sony Trinitron CRT monitor

The brand/model information is subject to availability.

It's safe to say that this system will handle Descent 3. In fact, it's overkill! I chose these parts based on use for future LAN events, for games like Doom 3, Half-Life 2, and FarCry.

I would recommend burning your pilot file, any maps, and mods to CD (or copy them to a USB drive). I will install Descent 3, along with all of the maps and mods that I post here as supporting (still waiting for more suggestions, before I post an offical list). You'll need to bring Descent 1 and 2, if you want to play those games...unless some one can point me to a place where they are for download/CD sale, now (not e-bay and not over-priced).
snoopy wrote:When's deadline on regestering?
Once a location is set, I will end early-registration as of the date that I have to make the deposit. UDPATED (FINAL) PRICING: Late-registration will add $10 to the entrance fee. It will be possible to pay at the door, for $20 over the early-registration cost, as long as open seats exist (the fees for late and same-day registration were increased, based on the advice of those who have been involved with other Descent LANs).
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

25$ huh?

in Pittsburg.......

i enjoyed ChiLAN.....HEY PUN!! we going to have another.....my father enjoyed Chicago alot, as i did very much aswell.

whats the deadline for registration.
Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Angel of Death »

AceCombat wrote:whats the deadline for registration.
I intend to settle on a location by this coming Monday (04/10/05). Once that is done, I'll probably use the date when a deposit is needed to determine when early registration will end. I will let you know, as soon as I know :)

Of course, when the location is set, I'll post the address and name of the place, directions from major routes, room rates (since it will be held in a hotel conference room, most likely), information about nearby restaurants, etc.

By the way, some of you might be interested in knowing that the only places that are currently under consideration are those that allow the consumption of adult beverages :D There's a good chance that we'll have a bar set up in the room 8)
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

OOOOORAH!!!
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Hi Moon/Solo :D I'd be honored to have dinner with you again.

AoD, are any of the locations suggested near the location of the 2000 lan?
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

Where was the 2000 LAN held Aod wasn't a member then. I was still in Texas at the time so didn't pay alot of attention to it back then.
melvin
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by melvin »

Beaver Falls-ish. The Holiday Inn on Rt 18
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

Angel of Death wrote:It will be some where in the South Hills of Pittsburgh (Green Tree, Castle Shannon, Bridgeville, etc.), but I can't set an exact location until I have a better idea of the number of attendees.
Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Angel of Death »

I have reserved a conference room for the event. The capacity is 24, at most (their engineer was on vacation, so I could not speak directly with him, but the manager tells me that there is enough power...for the moment, I'm taking her word for it). It is the Hampton Inn of Greentree. This is a relatively small room (24 people would make for close quarters). It's a fairly nice place. There is no catering, so pizza is the most likely food choice. Adult beverages are permitted, but they are not served. BYOB.

Right now, I still have the option to cancel that reservation, in favor of the Holiday Inn Select. The capacity there would be 40+, easily. Electricity is absolutely no problem, as the GM has already told me that he will pipe-in power from elsewhere, as needed (i.e. christmas tree with 100 amps, along with the existing circuits). There would be catering on both days. We would have our own bartender, for a few hours on Saturday.

So, for the moment, the limit is 24 people. If it quickly fills, then I will see if the other room is still available. Click HERE to sign-up, now. The early registration period ($25 entrance fee) will end on May 1st. As of May 2nd, the late registration period ($35 entrance fee) will begin, and that will last until June 3rd. If you procrastinate past that date, you can still pay $45 (cash only), at the door, on the morning of June 4th (if there are any seats remaining).

Let me know how many of you plan to rent a room. I can have a block of rooms set aside for our group, at the rate of $94/room (king size bed, plus a fold-away), which is a discount from the normal $104. I will post about other nearby lodgings, very soon.

Also, mapquest doesn't find 555 Hampton Inn Drive in Pittsburgh, PA 15205. So, I'll post directions from some place that you can find on mapquest, shortly.
Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Angel of Death »

I created an Information Page (such as "what to bring" and "rules") for this event.

It's 3:17AM, so I hope that every thing I've posted tonight makes sense :lol:
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

mark me as a possible. im the only one going to be playing, but my father and possibly my mother will be with me.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Well damn. Finally a LAN somewhat close to me and I can't go :(. (I'll be in the Bahamaz Biznitches!!1:D;))
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

JMEaT wrote:Well damn. Finally a LAN somewhat close to me and I can't go :(. (I'll be in the Bahamaz Biznitches!!1:D;))
Thats sucks J but if all goes well I bet there will be another. 8)
[CG]Moon
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by [CG]Moon »

Testiculese wrote:Hi Moon/Solo :D I'd be honored to have dinner with you again.

AoD, are any of the locations suggested near the location of the 2000 lan?
SCL2000 was in Beaver Falls yah, like 60 minutes from downtown PGH and 30-45 minutes from the airport.

You can room at our place as well if you don't wanna incur hotel costs. We have a couch and a dining room that'll fit a couple sleeping bags or a queen size air matress.
[CG]Moon
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by [CG]Moon »

Green Tree is a great location. For anyone from out of town, it's 15 minutes from the airport, right off the highway, so it's super easy to find. It's also like 5 minutes from the heart of the city so if anyone wants to take a break for some Primanti's or other sites, it's close.
[CG]Moon
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by [CG]Moon »

Angel of Death wrote: Also, mapquest doesn't find 555 Hampton Inn Drive in Pittsburgh, PA 15205. So, I'll post directions from some place that you can find on mapquest, shortly.
Hampton Inn Pittsburgh Greentree
555 Trumbull Drive â?¢ Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15205
Phone: (412) 922-0100 â?¢ Fax: (412) 921-7631

Will there be a list of members who sign up that we can view?
[CG]Moon
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by [CG]Moon »

Angel of Death wrote: Click HERE to sign-up, now. The early registration period ($25 entrance fee) will end on May 1st.
I sent in two payments, as I didn't see a way to specify a change in price, or to give 2 different names. OK?
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

I sent one..I'm assuming you'll have the names of the payers.
Angel of Death
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Angel of Death »

[CG]Moon wrote:Hampton Inn Pittsburgh Greentree
555 Trumbull Drive â?¢ Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15205
Phone: (412) 922-0100 â?¢ Fax: (412) 921-7631

Will there be a list of members who sign up that we can view?
I apologize for the confusion, and thank you for posting an address that can be entered into mapquest :)

I can create such a list, unless any one has an objection.
[CG]Moon wrote:I didn't see a way to specify a change in price, or to give 2 different names
I'm going to add a comment field in the payment screen, so you can include the real name of the person for whom the payment is intended.

EDIT: As of 04/12/2005 10:20PM EST, the payment pages allow you to pay for as many as you want, at the same time, and I added the comment field.

For those who have already made payments, please PM me with the name and e-mail address that was used with the payment, and let me know what name(s) to include on the list.