New computer problem

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

New computer problem

Post by Darkside Heartless »

I finally got another computer, built it myself and got everything together without much trouble. I plug the monitor in and start the computer and the monitor dosn't recognize any imputs and goes to off mode.

What did I do wrong? :?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

We need more info then that, post the system specs and everything you put into it, some pictures of the computer (with the case open) might help too.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Asus A8V deluxe, Audigy2 ZS, Verto GeForce 6800, AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1 gig Kingston PC2700 HyperX RAM

Sorry, but no pics, digital camera's on the fritz
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Darkside Heartless wrote:AMD Athlon 64 3200+, 1 gig Kingston PC2700 HyperX RAM
PC2700 ram isn't good enough to work with the Athlon 64 3200+, you need PC3200.

Also, tell us what power supply you have (or case if the PSU came with the case), what heatsink and fan you got with the CPU, and what thermal pad or compound you used on the CPU heatsink, hard drives, cdroms, everything.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Tagan TG480-U01, can't tell what heatsink+fan came with it, it just says AMD on it, a Samsung 160 GIG drive and a WD 70 drive, no thermal paste, probably a problem:|, and a sony DVD/CD/CDRW drive

[EDIT]we took an ohm meter to the monitor port, and got solid readings, so there is power running to the monitor, and it's not the video card because I swapped out another one for it and same readings and problem.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

like krom said, the RAM isnt powerful enough to handle your CPU. without RAM, a computer will power up, but it will do absolutely nothing. even the BIOS POST Test requires RAM to even initiate itself.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

The manual says that it can take unbuffered ECC and non-ECC PC3200, 2700, 2100, and 1600 DDR. The CPU has RAM type requirements?
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

No, it does not. The Athlon 64's memory controller can address 266/333/400MHz memory. I don't rember seeing 200Mhz mentioned before, but I probably ignored it if it was. The 333 will be considerably slower then 400, but should work.

BTW, is that the 2-2-2-5 HyperX? Those sticks where made out of the BH-5 memory chips, which where also used in sticks running 2-2-2-5 at 400MHz. I have some 333 HyperX myself and never checked to see if my chips where able to handel the higher clock at the same timings or if they where chips that couldn't quite hit 400 but had no problem with 333. Maybe yours could hit 400. If so, let me know. :)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Remove everything but the CPU, video card and the RAM. Disconnect all the drives, pull the sound card out, check all the power connections and cables, then try booting

If it still doesn't work after that, check the CPU heatsink and fan, make sure there is a thermal pad or thermal grease installed and working, make sure the CPU, RAM and video card are properly seated and have all power connections in place. If it still doesn't work, then it is more likely either the CPU, Mobo, RAM or PSU are fried. Investigate with a different (brand name) power supply first before you think about trying a different mobo.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

what about your first comment? incompatible RAM....
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

If the system can get to the point where it reads the RAMs SPD and clocks it to 333, it might work, the early athlon 64 chips were 333/PC2700 only IIRC.

Still PC2700 is a total waste of time on an Athlon 64. It seems likely to me that the system is attempting to boot with the RAM at 400 MHz, and that RAM can't run at that speed. One solid bet is to connect the PC speaker and see if it is giving a "bad ram" beep. The mobo manual might say what the error beeps are, I had some bad RAM in my system a few days ago, plug one stick in and all I got was one long beep.

Regardless of what else is wrong with the system, that PC2700 has got to go.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

RAM didn't work, got 3200 and still nothing. gonna haul the computer to a local techie later today, hope he can fix it.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

hrmmmmmmm. okay RAM knocked off. check the CPU.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

we got it to work, sorta.
now it gets says "no drive connected to fastrack connector, no BIOS installed"
then if the windoze CD's in the drive it tries to install but after it loads and asks if I want to install windoze, it tells me that there's no HDD connected.

it's an SATA drive, would that cause problems? Although it dosn't recognize my brothers borrowed drive either.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

It sounds like it might be a bad cable, or a bad connection on the motherboard.
Bonz
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Bonz »

I had to install sata drivers before my drive was detected.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Hooked up my other drive, a non SATA drive, still didn't work. :x
Could the motherboard be b0rked somehow? I tried everything I can think of short of a sledgehammer, all I get is the windows install telling me there's no HDD's and that I have no BIOS.
WTH is going on? I spent $300 in spare parts and tech services already, and there's no end in sight.
pATCheS
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pATCheS »

I work at a moderately sized computer store. We sell mostly ASUS boards there. I have an A8V myself, actually, works well ^^ We get bad mainboards almost daily, but we sell quite a few, and considering that there's probably hundreds of different things that can go wrong on a mainboard, that's not too bad. Take the board back to whereever you got it from and have them look at it or replace it. If you got it online... good luck :( ASUS RMA can take anywhere from two weeks to over a month. Which is what makes it so nice to be able to come to a store in the event of a problem, they can usually just swap the mobo on the spot and send the bad one to the manufacturer for repair or replacement.

Based on what you've said, it's either the mobo or PSU. If it's running Windows setup at all, the CPU is probably fine.

"no thermal paste, probably a problem:|" YES, that's a problem :P Fix that before turning it on again...
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

not the PSU, tried it in my brothers computer, and worked fine. everything's fine but the mobo, gonna have to get it replaced. at least we finally know what it is. Thanks everyone.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Be more careful with the next one, mobos break easily.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

Bonz wrote:I had to install sata drivers before my drive was detected.
a friend of mine just had the same problem. so i told him to install the SATA drivers first. worked perfectly.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

AMD stock HS has a square patch of thermal goo on it, so technically he should be ok...

of course, being a proper lil techie he should wipe it off, clean thoroughly and install new arctic silver or similar ;)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

WarAdvocat wrote:AMD stock HS has a square patch of thermal goo on it, so technically he should be ok...

of course, being a proper lil techie he should wipe it off, clean thoroughly and install new arctic silver or similar ;)
That's assuming he peeled the plastic protector off the thermal pad. Also, once you put one of those pads on, do not remove the HSF because those pads are a use once thing, they have to be replaced each time you remove the heatsink.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Krom wrote:That's assuming he peeled the plastic protector off the thermal pad. Also, once you put one of those pads on, do not remove the HSF because those pads are a use once thing, they have to be replaced each time you remove the heatsink.
And if you remove it, do it RIGHT after you shut the machine down. Otherwise you'll run the risk of damaging your brand new CPU.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

MD-2389 wrote:And if you remove it, do it RIGHT after you shut the machine down. Otherwise you'll run the risk of damaging your brand new CPU.
Yum I smell burning flesh! :idea: handle with care contents hot
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

MD-2389 wrote:And if you remove it, do it RIGHT after you shut the machine down. Otherwise you'll run the risk of damaging your brand new CPU.
yeah, I almost found that out the hard way. I pulled an HSF off cold once and ended up pulling the locked-down CPU 1/2 way out of the socket...