Help me with a new website!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

BfDiDDy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Help me with a new website!

Post by BfDiDDy »

Here is the deal. My wife and I have some friends that are super camera happy and they all have digital cameras, and swapping photos has inevitably become my logistical nightmare. After one weekend of partying, I get 3 or 4 CF cards and I put them all on a disc, and distribute them to whoever wants one. While making the discs isnâ??t all that tough, itâ??s getting back everyoneâ??s CF card that is time consuming.

So, last weekend, while at a ballgame, I mentioned in passing that we should just start a website for all of our photo needs. That sounded like a good idea, and I got nominated to put it up (joy). We all settled on the domain name PhonicianDrunks.com.

While I am capable of putting up a simple website, I have no knowledge about what Iâ??m getting myself into. Here is what I would like to do with this site.

1. I would like to have a ftp access for everyone to dump their pictures into.
2. I would like to have an easily updated site, not allot of tweaking.
3. I would like to have some form of feedback. A simple photoblog for all of our friends to put comments.

If anyone has any suggestions as to the best software (I use the Adobe Suit), easily changed templates, cool photo php posting, or some kind of easily changeable site for photoâ??s. Iâ??d love to hear your suggestions.
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

well, first of all, if yuo haven't already, register the domain name. http://www.go daddy.com* is one of the many places where you can have this done.

Than, find a place that gives web-hosting suitable to your needs. I can't really help you with this one, just look around till you find what you need.

after you have a decent webhost, you should be able to grant everyone ftp access quite simply.

a lot of webhosts nowadays will have the option to install php scripts to do what you need to do.

*all one word

[EDIT] OK, why the ★■◆● is "G O D A" being censored?
BfDiDDy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BfDiDDy »

I have my domain and webhost. I just need some help with locating a plug and play script that does all the dirty work for me. I don't mind hand updating the site once a week, but honestly I'm not big on having to do that.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Ever consider running Gallery?
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Why do what's already been done?

http://www.hello.com/

Ties in nicely with this: http://www.picasa.com/
BfDiDDy
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BfDiDDy »

I'm finding some neeto flash ones, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the suggestions for the hello software, but I need something thats going to be easy for non tech geeks. A website is click and enjoy. If i make eveyone download a new software, I'll be liable for fixing eveyone's machine.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

BfDiDDy wrote:Thanks for the suggestions for the hello software, but I need something thats going to be easy for non tech geeks. A website is click and enjoy. If i make eveyone download a new software, I'll be liable for fixing eveyone's machine.
Picasa is made by some of the Google guys, and its intuitiveness is rivaled only by iPhoto. You should check it out.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

Have you considered http://www.Flickr.com?
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Why dont you just put up a PHPBB forum? It will do everything you mentioned with ease.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Hello + Picasa.