Well it's over

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Well it's over

Post by woodchip »

Star Trek enterprise is no more with no indication of any sort of replacement. Maybe it is time for a Star Trek based on a Klingon crew or a Vulcan crew. Any thoughts? After 30 some years it will seem odd not to have a Star Trek series.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

how about they just KILL the cash cow. ???

any one for Sci-Fi burgers? ;)

no, seriously. Paramount has milked this thing for 30 years, many times against thier own will. I say let it go away. Or get a better production crew and writers and make a serious attempt at it. Politics won't let that happen. Any more than a B5 movie will happen.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Its time for a break. Maybe time to spool up another movie series, like a couple DS9 movies along the lines of the "8th Season" novels.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: Well it's over

Post by roid »

Not funny or cool, roid. - Pun
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

buy' ngop

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa' 'e'

btw ...

Hab SoSlI' Quch!
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Um, roid?
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

dissent wrote:buy' ngop

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa' 'e'

btw ...

Hab SoSlI' Quch!
Oh Terif, make me break out my Klingon-English Dictionary why don't ya...
dissent,
mind offering a transltation on the first part, please?

roid, If you were a Klingon, you just got insulted...

Fus
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Its about time too, that show was doomed upon conception. They totally missed the point on why Star Trek was so popular. The last episode is a reflection on the whole series except for a few notable exceptions where the episodes were decent. Not great, decent. They would have been great if the characters were given just that, character. They didnt have a personality in the way the characters from the other series had and only explored a few characters (T'pol, Trip, Archer, and that annoying Flox.) The plots were shallow and not engaging. It didnt have any heart.

ANd the last eposide to be the "valentine" for all Star Trek series? HAH! What a slap in the face to the fans. The only good thing about that last episode was the last 25 seconds where they played the voices of the past captains, hearing Kirk's voice was a welcome ray of sunlight throught the clouds. Oh well, here's to 2006 when the B's contract expire. Then we will see what happens next.

Oh yea, and Episode 3 could'nt have come at a better time to wash the bad aftertaste of a lousy series (and the kickoff for a good summer vacation!)
Fusion
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Fusion »

Top Wop wrote: They didnt have a personality in the way the characters from the other series had and only explored a few characters (T'pol, Trip, Archer, and that annoying Flox.)
TW,

Typo correction, The Doctor's name is spelled Phlox, not Flox.

Woodchip,
The show's name was called Enterprise, there was no "Star Trek" in the title.

Fus
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

the eager beaver who edited my post better well send me a private message and explain themselves.

that ★■◆● doesn't fly here.

Roid - Your post was outside the scope of this thread's topic and borderline racist. Since you've insisted on crapping up this thread with your political commentary, I've taken the liberty of splitting your post over to the Ethics and Commentary Forum, where you can wax eternal over the similarities of Klingons and Arabs.

Please don't ruin this thread with more argument. PM me, if you'd like to discuss this further. Thank you and have a nice day! :) -Pun
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

roid wrote:the eager beaver who edited my post better well send me a private message and explain themselves.

that **** doesn't fly here.
I'm sorry, this is obviously your bulletin board.
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

They just need to give the franchise a rest. It's been milked dry of any good ideas and needs to stop sullying the good reputation of TNG. :P
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Roid.. maybe someone should speak to you on the side.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I'd have to disagree with you, Top Wop. I actually enjoyed Enterprise quite a bit, even seasons one and two, which a lot of people seemed to dislike. I thought that the show had plenty of heart, as evidenced in such episodes as "Simillitude," where a rapidly-maturing clone of Trip is created in order to save his life. It's true that Archer, T'Pol, and Trip got most of the character development, but that isn't much different from the Original Series' Kirk-Spock-McCoy combo. I don't understand how you can call Phlox annoying; I personally thought he kicked ass. :D The show definitely improved during season 3; the last few episodes were incredibly intense, although the very end of the season finale wrote the storyline into a rather cumbersome corner.

The real joy, though, was watching season 4, when Manny Coto took over much of the creative control. After extricating Enterprise from the Temporal Cold War storyline (which was never really fleshed out well), he took the show where it should have been in the first place: back to its roots. There were several amazing episodes in season 4, the greatest of which had to be the two Mirror Universe episodes near the end; the whole cast did an amazing job playing their alter egos. Hoshi and Travis finally got some much-needed screen-time during this season, as well. The two-parter that served as the second-to-last show was also great; the ending of "Terra Prime" could have easily been the ending of the series. (In a way, it was, since it was the last episode that Manny Coto had control of.) I've seen a lot of fans complain about the final episode, but I didn't mind it that much; the time jump six years into the future was somewhat awkward, Riker/Troi seemed strained at times, and Trip's death seemed a little rushed, but overall, I thought that looking on the series from a future perspective was something unique. I'll admit that I choked up a little during the very last scene, when all three Enterprise captains spoke those famous lines; that could be the last time in a very long while that we'll hear those words. Rest in peace, Enterprise; you were killed before your time. :(

Paramount has shown that they don't care too much for the franchise that has given them enormous amounts of profit over the years and generated tens of millions of international fans. However, I don't think that Trek is dead forever. Too many people want it to come back, and you can't kill something with such a strong cultural influence so easily. As long as humanity looks out at the stars and wonders what's out there, we need something like Star Trek. It's the only sci-fi series I've seen that doesn't take place in an alternate universe or doesn't predict a troubled future for humanity. Instead, it presents a vision of hope, of humanity and its allies on a grand voyage of discovery and learning. It's no wonder that the first space shuttle was given the great name of Enterprise. To me, all sci-fi must be measured up against Star Trek, and as far as I'm concerned, it all falls short. I can only hope that it's not another thirty years before we can once again explore that final frontier and boldly go where no one has gone before...
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

You mean the sappy, sugary-moralistic, touchy-feely drama queen show is gone? hmph, I don't even have a TV and I'm happy. :P

My ex and I used to grab a sixpack and watch that show and laugh our asses off. More laughs than Monty Python and Benny Hill put together. It was better than Mystery Science Theatre! However, nothing held a candle to the hysterics of the old series. I have better abs than Schwarzenegger from laughing at that!

Picard would have made a good captain. Err wait, he did make a good captain, it was the writers that sucked ass. And Wesley. Wesley defined a whole new genre of suck.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

woodchip wrote:Maybe it is time for a Star Trek based on a Klingon crew or a Vulcan crew. Any thoughts?
i think a show of this nature would teach us further about cultural exchange - as has been the fine nature of the much enjoyed star-trek series in it's past shows. so i applaude your cafe question and i offer a friendly comment, from my self, in response.

it is documented that Gene Roddenberry traveled to the middle east in the 1960s, and based the species you have referred to "Klingon" in your fine original post, on his impressions.

so, i hope any further series in the style you yearn for woodchip - that being "based on a Klingon crew" - will have an informative and good effect in a political cultural manner. as was Gene Roddenberry's style. i hope it will build on and explore the arabic culture, for it is so different to our own culture - i have witnessed it give some uninitiated folks quite a fright. hohoho.

i wish a good day to all, and especially woodchip for his inspiring question. thankyou woodchip.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Top Gun, there is a reason why millions of Star Trek fans were alienated and the viewership dropped down to 3 million. We can talk all day long about this and that but in the end Enterprise lacked something that the other series had. Mayby it was humor, mayby it was the personality of the characters. The problem can be definately pinpointed around there. The point is that it had no soul, only really few good episodes like the mirror universe which I enjoyed. But other than that, it was a shallow series and quite lame at times. Its a shame to see it go but good riddance to bad rubbish.

Im happy Star Trek gets a break because too much of a good thing is not good. Oh yea, B & B can sod off.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Fusion wrote:
dissent wrote: btw ...

Hab SoSlI' Quch!
dissent,
mind offering a transltation on the first part, please?
Fus
All the phrases were from the hyperlinked page - D
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

woodchip wrote:Star Trek enterprise is no more with no indication of any sort of replacement. Maybe it is time for a Star Trek based on a Klingon crew or a Vulcan crew. Any thoughts? After 30 some years it will seem odd not to have a Star Trek series.
You know what I think...
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

I think I stopped being interested in ANY of the series' when they got rid of 7 of 9.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Topher wrote:
woodchip wrote:Star Trek enterprise is no more with no indication of any sort of replacement. Maybe it is time for a Star Trek based on a Klingon crew or a Vulcan crew. Any thoughts? After 30 some years it will seem odd not to have a Star Trek series.
You know what I think...
Cute!
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I'm one of those mentioned persons who watched other Star Trek series, but stopped watching Enterprise somewhere in the middle of season one. Nothing will top TNG in my opinion, but I've probably seen every episode of Voyager too, and I thought it was a worthwhile show. The characters had character after all.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

TNG was good but all the various spin-offs after TNG were insipid I'd-like-to-buy-the-universe-a-Coke politically-correct caca.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

"It's dead Jim..."
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Fusion wrote:Woodchip,
The show's name was called Enterprise, there was no "Star Trek" in the title.

Fus
Actually, they stuck in "Star Trek" when they found out how many fans hated the show in a lame attempt to bring some of them back.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

I enjoyed Enterprise, but after the 3rd season, I just stopped watching. It sucks though, no more Trek. :(
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

If there is to be a new Trek, in any form, let Ron Moore be at the helm. With the excellent job he did with Deep Space Nine, and now neo-BSG, they'd be stupid to pick anyone else. B&B just need to be sent over to the middle east where they'll be strung up for what they've done.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

MD-2389 wrote:If there is to be a new Trek, in any form, let Ron Moore be at the helm. With the excellent job he did with Deep Space Nine, and now neo-BSG, they'd be stupid to pick anyone else. B&B just need to be sent over to the middle east where they'll be strung up for what they've done.
x2, Maybe even the return of DS9. :D
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Was 7 of 9 supposed to be cute or something other than a big chest?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Testiculese wrote:Was 7 of 9 supposed to be cute or something other than a big chest?
I think she was somehow Vulcan like with a robotic twist. That and all the Star Trek series had some sort of lusty well endowed babe.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Testiculese wrote:Wesley defined a whole new genre of suck.
Wö®Ã
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

ya welsley's character woudl have made sense if he were 5 years younger. or maybe it's just the weird skintight fashion sense freaking me out.