Brought to You by Sensenbrenner...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Brought to You by Sensenbrenner...

Post by Skyalmian »

THR wrote:FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: May 17, 2005, The Drug Policy Alliance
CONTACT: Tony Newman (212) 613-8026; Elizabeth Méndez Berry (212) 513-8036
Senior Republican Proposes "Draft" for the War on Drugs
New Bill Would Require All Americans to Spy on Their Neighbors - Including Going Undercover and Wearing a Wire - or Face Jail Time

Instead of Dismantling Draconian, Unpopular Mandatory Minimum Sentences, Legislation Would Also Establish "Mandatory Minimums" for Every Federal Crime

A Senior Republican in Congress has proposed what would essentially be a draft for the War on Drugs.

The legislation would require all Americans who witness or learn about certain drug offenses to report them to the police within 24 hours and go undercover and wear a wire to catch the offenders if ordered to do so - even if the offender is their son or daughter. Introduced by Congressman James Sensenbrenner (R-WI), the "Safe Access to Drug Treatment and Child Protection Act" (HR 1528), would also overturn a recent U.S. Supreme Court decision by making all federal sentencing guidelines essentially mandatory and enacting new draconian penalties for a variety of non-violent drug offenses.

"Itâ??s frightening that a senior member of Congress wants to draft every American into the War on Drugs and make them agents of the state," said Bill Piper, director of national affairs for the Drug Policy Alliance. "This totalitarian legislation forces citizens to spy on each other and pits family member against family member."

Under the legislation, any American who witnesses or learns of certain drug offenses taking place would have to report the offenses to law enforcement within 24 hours and provide "full assistance" in the investigation, apprehension, and prosecution of the people involved. Failure to do so would be a crime punishable by a mandatory two year prison sentence and a maximum of ten years.

An example of an offense that would have to be reported to the police within 24 hours is finding out that oneâ??s brother, who has children, bought a bag of marijuana to share with his wife. Another example is finding out that oneâ??s son gave his college roommate a marijuana joint.

In each of these cases one is forced to report the relative to the police within 24 hours. One would also have to assist the government in every way, including wearing a wire if needed. Taking 48 hours to think about it could land one in jail. In addition to turning family member against family member, the legislation could also put many ordinary Americans into dangerous situations by forcing them to go undercover to gain evidence against strangers.

Despite growing opposition to mandatory minimum sentences, the bill also eliminates federal judgesâ?? ability to give sentences below the minimum sentence recommended by federal sentencing guidelines - essentially creating a mandatory minimum sentence for every federal offense (including both drug and non-drug offenses). It also mandates a 10-year minimum sentence for anyone 21 or older who gives marijuana or others drugs to someone under 18 (i.e. a 21-year-old college students shares a joint to his 17-year old brother). A second offense would carry a mandatory sentence of life in prison. Anyone at a party who passes a marijuana joint at a party to someone who has at some point in their life been in drug treatment would face a mandatory 5-year minimum prison sentence.

"Our countryâ??s prisons are already overcrowded with people serving massive sentences for non-violent drug offenses," said Bill Piper. "The recent Supreme Court decision provided a perfect opportunity for legislators to do the right thing and untie judgesâ?? hands. Instead, theyâ??re trying to handcuff the judges completely."

The bill has been put on the same legislative fast-track as a recent controversial anti-gang bill that the U.S. House of Representatives passed in less than two monthâ??s time.

http://www.november.org/parole/Proposals/05HR-1528.html
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c109:H.R.1528:

`SEC. 425. (a) It shall be unlawful for any person who witnesses or learns of a violation of sections 416(b)(2), 417, 418, 419, 420, 424, or 426 to fail to report the offense to law enforcement officials within 24 hours of witnessing or learning of the violation and thereafter provide full assistance in the investigation, apprehension, and prosecution of the person violating paragraph (a).

`(b) Any person who violates subsection (a) of this section shall be sentenced to not less than two years or more than 10 years. If the person who witnesses or learns of the violation is the parent or guardian, or otherwise responsible for the care or supervision of the person under the age of 18 or the incompetent person, such person shall be sentenced to not less than three years or more than 20 years.'
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Is there anything in that ther bill that makes it O.K. for me to shoot the perps? :shock:
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

it's frightening the kinds of legislation that are brought up. this one is so rediculous. frankly i hope it does pass, just to force people to wake up and kick these tossers outof their government seats.
woodchip wrote:Is there anything in that ther bill that makes it O.K. for me to shoot the perps? :shock:
um... no woodchip i doubt it.
my goodness, are you actually implying that you wish to do this? :!:
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Someone needs to show this guy the door. It's time for him to leave.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

woodchip wrote:Is there anything in that ther bill that makes it O.K. for me to shoot the perps? :shock:
Is there anything in that ther bill that makes it O.K. for me to shoot the perps author?
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i've been looking up this James Sensenbrenner fellow.
he seems like a boring normal person. he collects stamps! he is a member of the Epicostal church, i'm unfamilure with it, does this mean anything?

his house.gov website doesn't even list drug policy as a policy issue he deals with (but it lists plenty of other issues).
could he have really introduced this legislation? i mean, it's so wild - yet he seems to have no past record of giving a ★■◆● about drugs. what gives?

-emails sent. i wonder if he has an official statement.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

This has to be fake.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

Birdseye [originally] wrote:Welcome to the new America. This has to be fake. If it isn't... I was right about where recent legislation has been headed.
Naw...it's very real. I updated the original post with the thomas.loc.gov link (from linked THR thread) that takes you straight to the text. Or just click this: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/C?c ... c109Snm8vE
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

If this is real, even though I believe in no particular god, GOD HELP AMERICA

We have fallen to the worst depths possible. 1984 is here, "Patriot" Act, National ID Card, Now spying on your neighbor. It's coming.

I still hope it's fake, for humanity's sake. If anyone seriously proposes such a bill or supports it, America is totally off track. If this passes I am packing my bags.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Birdseye wrote:If this passes I am packing my bags.
Careful what you promise. After all, we are still waiting for Alec Baldwin to move north.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Birdseye wrote:If this passes I am packing my bags.
Ya promise? ;)
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Sounds to me like there are some real constitutional conundrums implicit in the plan. compels you to wear a wire ? Sheesh, what a crock of rodent droppings! I've never been a big fan of one-size-fits-all ideas in politics, and more mandatory sentencing would fall into that category. If anything, we need to be thinking more in the judicial arena, not crafting bone-headed policies by unconnected bureaucrats and making them the law of the land.
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

... Thank GOD.. ! (..the Female Creative Force that created the Universe..), that I'm safe, raising my family and living here in Canada !

.. Birdseye... I can rent you my basement if you want to move up here .. !
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

El Ka Bong wrote:... Thank GOD.. ! (..the Female Creative Force that created the Universe..), that I'm safe, raising my family and living here in Canada !
Thank God if I do have to wear a wire I can also wear my .45....God really does love America best :P
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

wow i see hitler has returned in sheeps clothing
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

its been here since "Patriot" Act 1, doublespeak was a sadly true prediction
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Failure to do so would be a crime punishable by a mandatory two year prison sentence and a maximum of ten years.
They don't have the prison space.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:
Failure to do so would be a crime punishable by a mandatory two year prison sentence and a maximum of ten years.
They don't have the prison space.
That has never stopped the Feds before.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Yeah, wouldn't stop them from putting you on probation and therefore having unrestricted abilities to make you wear tracking devices/wires.

All the same, I doubt this would fly.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Why do you all hate America so much? ;)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Under the legislation, any American who witnesses or learns of certain drug offenses taking place would have to report the offenses to law enforcement within 24 hours and provide "full assistance" in the investigation, apprehension, and prosecution of the people involved. Failure to do so would be a crime punishable by a mandatory two year prison sentence and a maximum of ten years.
I would love to see them try to prove this....
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Birdseye wrote:This has to be fake.
BINGO!
The legislation would require all Americans who witness or learn about certain drug offenses to report them to the police within 24 hours and go undercover and wear a wire to catch the offenders if ordered to do so - even if the offender is their son or daughter
It is total Bull#hit.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Ice, the bill exists. Search for "425" in the PDF and you'll find the exact highlighted portion.

Though it does refer specifically to instances in which a person knows of someone selling drugs to kids or mentally handicapped individuals, or around where such persons work, live, and play.