Drugs suck...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Drugs suck...

Post by Darkside Heartless »

...because two of my best friends died because of marajuana monday night. They died while doing 60-70 mph on a back road after one joint each.
[DWL]Punk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [DWL]Punk »

it wasn't because of pot, probably stupidity. pot makes you a better driver =D
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

must...control..self..
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

A shame.

I bet pot wasn't the only thing they were on. Not many do 70 on winding back roads after a joint. That's what alcohol is for!
Will Robinson
DBB Grand Master
DBB Grand Master

Post by Will Robinson »

Pot doesn't make you a better anything, especially a better driver.
It most likely contributed to their death, it may have been the factor between almost losing control and losing it.
Don't fool yourself, if you smoke pot you have handicapped yourself until the effects wear off.
[DWL]Punk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by [DWL]Punk »

i would have to say alcohol to.

70 is too fast for a joint
i want a joint..
i have a joint!
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

sorry for your loss meat.
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

A few of my other friends said they got the stuff from a weird dealer, so who knows what else was in there. You would think a pair of Engineers with straight A's would know better than to do drugs.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

If pot does anything, it makes you drive slower because of paranoia. And having A's means nothing. I know people who hold PHD's that smoke up.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

sorry for your loss, but dont believe everything the terrorist commercials are telling you.
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

I too am sorry for your loss.
However, I also am skeptical of Pot being the culprit.
As you said. "who knows what could have been in there".
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

Here is New Zealand a large study was completed last year about the effects of marijuana in fatal accidents. Because there's no road-side test capable of discerning a level of marijuana in the blood, there was no data available regarding the prevalence (or lack thereof) of marijuana use in fatal and non-fatal crashes.

FYI, car crashes are NEVER "accidents" - there's no such thing. Everything happens BECAUSE of something.

What the study showed was that not a single fatality could be pinned on marijuana alone. In other words, of all the fatal road crashes in NZ in 2002, not a single one only involved pot.

However, pot and marijuana are a positively LETHAL combination. It was found that in fatal crashes, where alcohol was involved, something like 35% also had THC levels that would be affecting the driver. (people who smoke pot show THC in their blood stream for up to 6 weeks after ceasing intake - but it is widely believed that the levels in the blood after 24 hours are too low to affect driving.)

What can be drawn from this study is unclear, except to say that those who are only on pot are very unlikely to be involved in a fatal car crash, while those who combine alcohol and pot are virtually signing their own death warrants.

These are the facts of the matter. Don't blame pot for your friends' deaths - blame stupidity, youth, and alcohol combined with pot in a lethal cocktail.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

While I've never done drugs, I have best friends that have and no way will one joint make you that reckless. They were obviously morons to begin with to cruise down county roads at night doing those speeds. Now if the pot was laced with something else, maybe.

I'm not defending drugs, I'm just skeptical. Sorry for the loss of your friends.
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

I'm sorry for your loss, Meathead.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Sorry for your loss Meat. Don't kid yourself though. Drugs had absolutely nothing to do with their deaths. It was the poor choice they made to drive while under the influence.

It ALWAYS comes down to choices.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

Sorry dude.

And Mobi....
<font face="Arial" size="3">pot and marijuana are a positively LETHAL combination.</font>
Erm.?
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Back in a land far far away, we used to get weed laced with opium. That was something you didn't want to go driving around while indulging. Luckily I gave all that up when I got out of the service.

Sorry to hear you lost a couple of buddies, Meathead.
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

Hey Meathead ! Sorry about the loss, I wonder about how their families are coping.

And in light of the tragedy Meathead has related, this is trivial, but apparently a true study: The Seatle Police commissioned a study on Cannabis intoxication and driving, and even published the results. The study showed Cannabis Naiive people who were given some pot to smoke drove poorly, and likely posed a greater risk for getting into accidents. Cannabis "experienced" people drove more defensively when under the influence, and scored higher on their driving ability tests. I just can't recall how the Controls were evaluated and treated; i.e did the placebo treated "controls" smoke some hemp ?...

Again, to be clear with my opinion about this thread's topic: a tragedy occurred, but never has there been a death caused by cannabis. You can't overdose on the Herb, you can't eat enough, smoke enough or roll in enough pot to kill yourself. Cannabis is an herb, and there's a 50,000 year old relationship that Homo Spaiens has had with that Herb. Burial sites in the Middle East dating to 50,000 years ago prove, through palynology, that ritual use of cannabis was already part of Homo Spaiens' society.

!.. ! Oh OH ! I opened the debate about the fossil records and evolution again ! ( I want to run, .. !)...

And there are still today nomadic, agricultural peoples in Asia that grow only cannabis to make their clothes, tents, etc, they harvest the seed (second highest after soy beans for protein content)to eat and feed their domestic fowl. They have certainly not been "killed by pot", which they smoke every day ...

Alcohol, cocaine, heroin, etc etc ... all cause overdose deaths. I have lost friends this way too. Tobacco also is lethal.

Lol at Ferno ! ... and Mobi's been mixing his intoxicants again! He must be smoking his beer now.. !

Again Meathead, sorry to hear about the accident. I hope you and the families of your friends find a way to cope and get through this tragedy.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

from my research i've found ALL the news articles i've ever read about "pot causes another road crash" they often fail to mention how DRUNK the person was. in every case i have looked into, the person was also DRUNK.

we all know the effects alcohol has on driving.
"but hey lets blame cannabis anyway eh, and not tell any readers that the person was also drunk." -editor

generally the people arn't even high at the time of crashing, the cannabinouds THC breaks down into (the drug tests look for cannabinoids, not THC) stay in your system long after the effects of the drug wear off, and will show up in a blood test even 1 whole month after you smoke.

alcohol generally has an effect where it boosts your confidence and you think you are driving BETTER than normal, so this is why ppl often drive faster. cannabis doesn't have this effect. i can't understand why your friends were driving so fast.

do you know if they had been drinking?

it must be very hard loosing close friends like that. but please don't be so quick to place unfounded blame.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Sorry man. Image
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

Sorry man. I hope you are doing better! Time is the key.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Hey man, sad to hear about your loss man. A lot of things in life like this happen but you have to keep moveing.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

You always hear those studies about how people get into car accidents when they're high, but it's not the weed, it's the booze. Your friends were probably drunk and the weed wouldnt' have mattered. Still, it's a tragedy.
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

real sorry to hear that, meaty. lost a couple of friends linked with alcohol/drugs... :(

keep your head high