Practical jokes with computers :D

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Practical jokes with computers :D

Post by []V[]essenjah »

I was just wondering what some rather good computer pranks that one could pull off?

I have someone who has played a couple of nasty pranks on me a couple weeks back and I guess it is time to get a little revenge :twisted:

Anyway, I don't want something that will mess up their computer system. Just a nasty little joke to give 'em a quick scare. :)

No goatse ;)

I remember a pretty neat little exe file my brother stuck on my computer when he first helped me put together a computer. He told me, "don't worry about clicking anything, your computer will not blow up." Well, he stuck an exe (schoon.exe I think it was called) basically the icon was a happy face. Anyway, you click on the thing and it asks you if you wish to delete everything on your hard drive and when you go up to click no it clicks yes instead and appears to be deleting everything on your hard drive and the screen goes blank. I think it was a game demo of some sort or an advertisement of some kind. It doesn't actually delete anything it just scares the living crap out of anyone that clicks it. :)

Anyway, something on that level would be great. :)

I want something that is actually funny, not destructive. :)
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I remember this one fake virus that would randomly eject the CD tray, make a fart sound, and then pull it back in. Always got a laugh. I did some searching for it, but didn't come up with anything.
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

easy way is to take a screenshot of someone's background, set it as their background, hide their taskbar, and let them try to figure out what the ★■◆● happened.

Bonus points if you take a screenshot of their screen with an error message on it.

If they ask you what's wrong (supposing you're a computer literate person), tell them that its a "PEBKAC" error, and that it happens sometimes, and that there is no possible way for you to fix it.
Buef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Buef »

http://www.nuclearblast.de/downloads/badday.exe

a 5K app that when placed in start up menu (or as a reoccuring task every 30 minutes) makes the computer desktop upside down until they click the screen. Harmless and fun.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Mess with the mouse settings in one of these ways:

- change the double-click speed (very fast, or very slow, depending on what's more annoying.)
- reverse the right and left buttons
- set repeat rate to something insanely slow, like 2 per second

Or do something to their desktop, like:
- take a screenshot, set as wallpaper, and hide all the icons + menu bars
- rename every single file to "readme.txt" no matter what it was before

Or, the old classic:
- change the system language to Japanese, Korean, or some other language they can't read but you or somebody you know can
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

There was a file called australia.exe or something south based like that, and when you clicked it, it would invert your entire screen, text, images, everything. Completely upside down. Freaky. It used to bounce around Kali back in the day.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

you could set his background to an active desktop, then imbed some weird websites into it. use your imagination, and powers of non-sequitar.
Krags
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Krags »

Lothar wrote: - rename every single file to "readme.txt" no matter what it was before
I'd say that borders on destructive. That one could be a real pain to fix.

I'll second (or maybe third, by now) the one before that, though. Be sure you include some random error message in the screenshot, too.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

I seem to remember this one program called something like scaredy_icon or something like that. Ill see if I can find it. This was back in Win95 so I dont know if its available in 2K/XP variants.

When you ran this program, every icon on the desktop would "run away" from the cursor when it approached.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

I played a pretty good one on my dad with our first computer: took a screen shot of the hard drive properties, modified it so that the graph was all blue (no free space), and modified the numbers to the same end. I put it up as a wallpaper. :)

You could also put up a wallpaper of randomly placed icons/shortcuts (best if they're graphical copies of the icons/shortcuts currently on the desktop--a few copies of each), then distribute their real icons randomly in the empty spaces.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

This one really only works in schools, or labs. I used to work in a rectangle of four PCs, all the boxes of which were in the middle.

When we knew a new group was coming in for evening classes, we'd always swap all the monitor cables, mouse and keyboard cables around on them! The results are damn funny to say the least, and a good lesson in connecting peripherals for newbies. :)
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Set the shell to "you.swf". ;)
Phaser
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Phaser »

http://www.monkeydoo.com/?fuseaction=do ... 1739e18930
Also
http://www.monkeydoo.com/?fuseaction=on ... 1739e18930

Go to those links.....tons of fake viriuses.....funny to. Hope ya have fun with it...i love that site.
~Phaser~
Samuel Dravis
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Samuel Dravis »

I had made a little program that simulates a BSOD. I had quite a bit of fun with it. :D
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I'll second the printscreen the desktop, set it as the background, then turn off the desktop icons and hide the taskbar trick. I've used it a couple times, doing the same thing with a fake BSOD screen is also very effective.

I confused dozens of people at LANs by having a small error box centered in the middle of my screen, people kept on telling me my PC was locked up, and then I would right click the desktop and tile it instead of centering it.

There is also plenty of fun to have by enabling or disabling things in the registry or policy editors.
melvin
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by melvin »

this doesnt work on everyone, but with non touchtypers, it's the best thing ever. simply invert the m and the n on the keyboard. hours of fun.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Krom wrote:policy editors
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

melvin wrote:this doesnt work on everyone, but with non touchtypers, it's the best thing ever. simply invert the m and the n on the keyboard. hours of fun.
That's just plain evil. :P
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Krom wrote:I'll second the printscreen the desktop, set it as the background, then turn off the desktop icons and hide the taskbar trick. I've used it a couple times, doing the same thing with a fake BSOD screen is also very effective.

I confused dozens of people at LANs by having a small error box centered in the middle of my screen, people kept on telling me my PC was locked up, and then I would right click the desktop and tile it instead of centering it.

There is also plenty of fun to have by enabling or disabling things in the registry or policy editors.
x3

It drives people crazy and is rediculously easy to do. Even I can do it, and I am a retard when it comes to computers.
TheCope
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheCope »

If you have a friend or relative that is emotionally unstable you can buy them a computer and world of warcraft. Itâ??s not guaranteed, but they might just drop off the face of the planet and throw away 2 years of their life chasing dragons and elves. Funny prank.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re: Practical jokes with computers :D

Post by BUBBALOU »

mob-messenger wrote:... basically the icon was a happy face. Anyway, you click on the thing and it asks you if you wish to delete everything on your hard drive and when you go up to click no it clicks yes instead and appears to be deleting everything on your hard drive and the screen goes blank.
that was the demo/info for an old game called virus
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

TheCope wrote:If you have a friend or relative that is emotionally unstable you can buy them a computer and world of warcraft. Itâ??s not guaranteed, but they might just drop off the face of the planet and throw away 2 years of their life chasing dragons and elves. Funny prank.
lmfao
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Thanks Bubb's. That's what I remember it being. Just couldn't remember if Virus was the name. My bro did it to me mostly to scare the crap out of me :)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

TheCope wrote:If you have a friend or relative that is emotionally unstable you can buy them a computer and world of warcraft. Itâ??s not guaranteed, but they might just drop off the face of the planet and throw away 2 years of their life chasing dragons and elves. Funny prank.
Now that's funny!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Top Gun wrote:
melvin wrote:this doesnt work on everyone, but with non touchtypers, it's the best thing ever. simply invert the m and the n on the keyboard. hours of fun.
That's just plain evil. :P
No, being evil is making windows think you're not using a qwerty style keyboard. :D