Looking to pick up a mill

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Looking to pick up a mill

Post by Ferno »

I've now come to the point where I would like to create waterblocks and machine heatsinks. What's a good tabletop model?
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

Grizzly makes some inexpensive mills. I'm guessing you don't want to spend $25k on a Bridgeport CNC mill to make water blocks :wink:
I've never used there metal working equipment, but I have used there wood working equipment and the performance was good. The finish leaves a little to be desired, I think they are ugly, but they have it where it counts.

Do you have any tooling, collets, flycutters, precision milling vice, T-slot nuts, clamp down kit ect? Man that's a lot of money to get into just to make water blocks.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

x2. Cost prohibitive, unless you're going into business.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

I don't want to bother with CNC at this point in time. As long as it can fit on a bench and is a manual setup, i'll be happy with it.

This model looks like what I need. stupid long link
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

if you're going to ebay it, you'll rather take what you get cheap than what you set out for.
good luck.

one hint at the least, if you've never touched such a machine before: be very careful.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I'd stay away from Grizzly unless they have improved quality. I junked a 500.00 belt sanding machine as it would not hold the sanding belt true. I got their 18" band saw but the tracking wheels and the blade guides are el cheapo. The only thing good I did buy was a two bag dust collector.
Depending on the amount of precision needed you might be able to find a decent used piece of equipment. Check your yellow pages under used machinary or try the Sunday want ads in the newspaper. I found a 18" radial arm saw for 500.00 dollars that works great. New that saw is over 5000.00. Also try business auctions as sometimes you can find what you need there.