ITS BABIES!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

ITS BABIES!

Post by woodchip »

I wake up from my late afternoon nap and look out the window and LO! Momma has brought her FIVE, count them five, little ones. Just like christmas I jump out of bed and head for the back door pausing long enough to grab a handful of new bought dog food. Food in hand I go out on the back deck and down the steps toward my new "Clan" ( :P ), all the while watching how everyone reacts. Momma is a little nervous (but then she is usually a bit nervous while the sun is up) and backs up as I approach. Three of her brood clamber up one tree. the fourth stands in the water dish and the fifth one stands up on his/hers back feet and looks at me. I get within three feet and momma gives a quick growl, I talk to her to let her know it is me, and then drop the dog food on the ground. As I back away she starts following me, not aggressivly so but more like "where's the food". It's funny, even though she has seen me drop the dog food she doesn't seem to know it is food until she smells it, which she does. Then she starts happily munching away. So as I stand there the three babes up the tree come down and start wandering around. Momma growls at them when they stick their noses into her food pile so I go in and get a handful of oily sunflower seeds and scatter those around.
I then go back into the house to get a camera (alas my daughter has the digital and is gone) so I get the Nikon film camera out and go back to get a few shots (sorry but those will have to be posted later). In a few minutes momma hears something, the kids head for the brush line and she follows. So now I'm waiting to see if they return when it gets darker out. Will be curious to see how the family reacts when the other adult raccoons show up. Of course I will be standing there as protector...just in case.
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

That's neat, but I think you're obsessed with these varmints :P
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

I may be. Just signed my divorce papers today and it is real nice and quiet around the 'ole homestead. The raccoons keep me company. :wink:
bash
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by bash »

I think we can safely say they'll be back. I await with great anticipation the day we get pics of Woodrow with his prosthetic man teats nursing his new family. Oh, the naming part comes next, btw, and please endeavor to cast beyond *Rocky*. :P
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Just make sure that they won't bite or scratch you. If one does, shoot it and get the head to a vet to have him check for rabies. Also my co-worker here told me that one of a raccoons modus operandi to kill a cat or dog (happens quite frequently around here) is to reach up their arse and pull the guts out.. (not sure that's true tho) -- don't turn your back on them.. ;)
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

Found this item:
BARBEQUE RACCOON
Submitted by: Bill (Ky)

Here is a good recipe but you will need a pressure cooker.
Racoon,cut into serving size pieces
2 bay leaves per racoon
salt and pepper
bacon drippings
barbecue sauce of your choice

Put the racoon into a pressure cooker and cover with water. Add bay leaves. Cook at 15 pounds pressure for 25 to 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Drain meat, salt and pepper to taste, then arrange the pieces in a baking pan, pour barbeque sauce over meat. Bake for 1 hour. Baste several times with sauce and pan juices ,, enjoy.
Don't forget. That's two bay leaves per 'coon. I think you'll need a dozen. :)
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Heh, a dozen indeed! I would feel like a cannibel.

Momma returned sans babies, I guess she tucked them in for the night. I look forward to tomorrow to see if there is a repeat performance.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

That's cool!

Me and my siblings had a neat experience with some baby racoons at a local city park last year. I tilted a trash can onto its side so the greedy little things (two of them) could get out and waddle--backs arched--back to their tree. Incidentally, I saw one of the 'coons on a trip to the park today, and got a few pictures with my new digital camera! I don't know which one this is, but he/she was just napping up on the favorite branch of their home Basswood tree.

MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

bash wrote:I await with great anticipation the day we get pics of Woodrow with his prosthetic man teats nursing his new family.
Coming soon to theaters....Meet the Woodchips!

:lol: :mrgreen:
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

:lol:
i can just imagine Chipper dressing up in a racoon outfit now and 'becoming one with nature'... 8)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

:lol:
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

We had some racoons living under our deck and last year she had 4 babies. It was cute for awhile but it became apparent that they like to leave a stinky mess around where they live, so we poured ammonia in various places and we have not seen them again.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

HaAGen DaZS wrote::lol:
i can just imagine Chipper dressing up in a racoon outfit now and 'becoming one with nature'... 8)
Actually I become one with nature when I "undress". :P
Juggernaut
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Juggernaut »

coon pie anyone?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I don't think I've ever so much as seen a raccoon before. You must have some animal magnetism there. :P