Batman Begins dammit!

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Batman Begins dammit!

Post by Asrale »

Anyone see it yet? I saw it last night! It kicked ass! It pwned me! It makes the previous Batman movies look like complete crap! It's the best movie about a superhero! It was so good, I was in shock the whole time! Director Chris Nolan pulled it off!

It really was excellent, and IMO it's the first "comic book movie" that transcends the genre to become a real film. Everyone here should go see it! Great acting, directing, action, and story-telling! Christian Bale and Michael Caine are great together, and Liam Neeson was in top form. And Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman were great too and both instantly likeable. But my favorite character was Dr. Crane/The Scarecrow played by Cillian Murphy (28 Days Later). What a knock-out actor! He was so fantastic I couldn't believe it! I wanted to see more of Scarecrow, his screen time was way too limited.

My main gripes: extremely tight editing (the movie felt crammed). And the fact it ended. :P Best film I've seen this year by far!

And the musical score by James Newton-Howard and Hans Zimmer was just emotional stuff, I loved it. Some people might prefer Elfman's score but I prefer the Newton-Howard/Zimmer one, there's so much depth to it. An Oscar-worthy score for sure!
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

I haven't truly enjoyed a Batman movie since Micheal Keaton was replaced. Val Kilmer was ok, George Clooney needs to fall off the planet and die. Way to ruin a series. I didn't even see any of the Clooney Batman movies. I'm looking forward to seeing this.
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

What Asrale said.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

So I take it Asrale that you enjoyed the movie?, :wink:
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Im a big fan of Hans Zimmer's work. Any movie with his score is damn good and im sure this is no exception.

Im anxious to see it with my dad this weekend. Im glad they made the Batman movies decent again and I hope we will see one again with the REAL Batmobile. :)
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I saw it last night, too- definately reccomended. Good call Asrale.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Beowulf wrote:George Clooney needs to fall off the planet and die.
Haha! Yeah, #4 bottomed out, IMO.

He redeemed himself with Ocean's 11 & 12, though. ;)

I'm really looking forward to seeing Batman Begins. My first thought when I heard about the movie was a combination of, "oh great..." and "they're going to try to replace the first Batman?! (pretty much my favorite)", but what I've seen and heard of it looks really promising... despite the artistic liberties taken with the batmobile (and the grapple-gun).

Thanks for the review, Asrale!
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

At least Clooney acknowldeges he was very unhappy about how his batman movie came out.

I'll see it, but honestly, the fact we have to see that idiot female katie holmes is enough to put me off!

Any speaking of KH - Tom Cruise has finally flipped his lid: he's stark starring crazy, a certified looney, a fool, a bumbling idiot without a single brain cell in his head. That whole scientology thing is such complete and utter rubbish, it's just scary.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

yeah, 9.5/10

Only scene that bothered me is when he wouldn't kill the farmer because he is "not an executioner," then proceeded to blow up the building with the farmer and everyone in it.

Can anyone explain that too me? Cuz that was a serious 'wtf' moment, and I can only conclude that I missed something.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

You simply can't beat the first Batman. Tim Burton is a genius. Michael Keaton actually fit the role. And Jack Nicholson is always a badass.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Personally, I have always hated keaton in the role of Batman. I really don't understand why everyone likes him. He just doesn't seem to fit. *shrug*
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Just got home from seeing it. Was amazing. What Asrale said.

Though I think what Goob said was pretty right on...that whole scene was kind of ridiculous. He comepletely owned all those Ninja guys but he wouldn't kill one stupid farmer.
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

The point of the scene was to make it clear that Batman had a different ideology than the members of the society. I thought the blowing up of the whole place as an unfortunate side effect of escaping, the destruction of the ninjas simply defeating new found enemies, and the death of the farmer as collateral damage.
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

Gooberman wrote:yeah, 9.5/10

Only scene that bothered me is when he wouldn't kill the farmer because he is "not an executioner," then proceeded to blow up the building with the farmer and everyone in it.
I thought the same thing. The other real problem I couldn't get past (and yes I realize it's a comic book movie, but still) was that the microwave transmitter boiled all the water in the system, but not all the water in the people.........What kind of discriminatory microwave transmitter is that anyway. I mean, wouldn't it boil the water everywhere if it could do such a thing?

Good flick though. Worth the $8.25/person.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Goob.. about the farmer... That whole incident was self explanitory. Liam Neeson was great and was in perfect form. ... lol .. once again the sinsea ...or however you spell it.

"Can you drive a stick?" ;)

Great show.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

It was so good, I completely forgot about the fallacies that were the other batman movies for about ten minutes after it ended. This one is more believable, at least compared to the other ones. It's less stylized and the batmobile actually looks like something that might be useful.

And yes, there were some considerable plot holes, but considering the incredible improvements over the previous films, that can be forgiven.
BigSlideHimself
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by BigSlideHimself »

Who says the farmer died? Plenty of the ninjas escaped (you see them at the end in Wayne Manor) so maybe the farmer did too.
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

Tell us how you REALLY feel, Asrale. :P

I liked it alot. Very awesome movie. Very believable characters too. Not like the previous batman movies with characters that were far too melodramatic.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

I've heard from several sources on several boards that this is the best superhero movie ever. I guess I'll go see it...
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

saw it today, wife took me for fathers day. she only went for me and wasnt expecting to like it. this movie TOTALY sucks you in it is without a doubt the best Batman movie of the bunch, I felt it was beter than Revenge of the Sith. wife even thought it was great :o
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

CUDA wrote:this movie TOTALY sucks
Hey now...
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Isn't that what most movie commercials do, Suncho? :P
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

This movie is by far the best. I only hope they do a sequil so that we can see the Keaton car. No need to redo Tim Burton's genious work.

The only problem I had with it was the theatre, it was so damn loud that it detracted from the enjoyment of the movie. I will probably enjoy it more on DVD on my own surround sound system where the objective is to hear and not go deaf. I dont understand how people can take that. If their eardrums have been beaten out I wonder if their brain has as well, it would explain alot of things...
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Suncho wrote:
CUDA wrote:this movie TOTALY sucks
Hey now...
LOL...
Asrale
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Asrale »

Top, Begins is not a prequel to the Burton flicks. The director wanted to completely start over and ignore the previous movies.

Man the movie was so good I want to go back to see it again this coming weekend! Maybe once every weekend until it's out of theaters! :)
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

It's definately one that I'll think about buying once it's out on dvd... and I don't buy many movies.
Zoop!
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Zoop! »

best....batman movie.....ever
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

Cat Woman !... The one with her was my fav' Batman movie.. ! ,, haven't seen the new one yet...
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Zoop! wrote:best....batman movie.....ever
x2

Went with the GF to see this last night... Purely awesomeness...
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

went to see it for my date on wednesday.

great girl, great movie. :)
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

heard it was superb. who plays batman, the guy from equilibrium? i like that guy, dont know his name though ;)
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

kurupt wrote:heard it was superb. who plays batman, the guy from equilibrium? i like that guy, dont know his name though ;)
Ya, Christian Bale. Also in American Psycho and Reign of Fire.

The very last fight scene he did in Equilibrium (hand to hand combat with pistols) was one of the coolest fight scenes I've seen.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

yeah, i dug the whole movie equilibrium. total shocker to me because i wasnt expecting much when i rented it, but it was cool. i dont remember him from reign of fire though :(

are there any cool fight scenes like in equilibrium in batman? what is it that makes it so great, is it quality acting, no plot holes, special effects, script? all of the above? all ive really heard was that it kicks ass, but nothing really in detail.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

I saw it in IMAX, now THAT's an experience. It was truly an awesome movie. I hope Chris Nolan plans on continuing the series.
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

Just got back from seeing it. Wow!! I only wish I had seen it earlier. The movie was sweet!!! I love how they tied in the backstory of Batman and how it all began with the gear, the car, the batcave, his training, etc...
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Nitrofox125 wrote:I saw it in IMAX, now THAT's an experience. It was truly an awesome movie. I hope Chris Nolan plans on continuing the series.
I hope they make another sequel as well.
Zoop!
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Zoop! »

TigerRaptorFX wrote:I hope they make another sequel as well.
I believe it;s already in it's earliest pre-production/writing script/brainstorming stages. Summer 2008 is intended to be the ETA.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Saw Batman Begins this weekend. Awesome.

When the film was over, I was pretty bummed. I couldn't get enough.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Yes, it was a great movie. Though it lacked some of this. ;)

PS: Right click, save as.
akula65
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by akula65 »

I saw it today, and I really enjoyed it. I haven't seen a Batman comic from the last twenty years, but I grew up reading Batman and a multitude of other DC and Marvel comics in the 1970s. The film was an interesting cross between the solitary Batman of that era and the Fox Batman cartoon from a few years ago.

It was interesting to see references to points of information that appeared in the comics even before I was born (forty years ago). The arrowhead the kids find, for example, seems to be a reference to a 1954 comic strip where Batman and Robin go back in time 300 years to discover that the Batcave was originally used by a fellow named Jeremy Coe who was a "Batman" in his era (he conducted his struggle with the Indians).