yo Didn't Battlefield 2 come out yesterday?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

yo Didn't Battlefield 2 come out yesterday?

Post by Jon the Great »

What was all that excitement about it going gold if we're just going to be silent the day it's released to stores? :P

I have mixed feelings about the game. They enhanced the graphics but it doesn't look like they did much else to put it above the BF1942 mod it spawned from.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Went gold not long ago
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

BF42 and the DC mod were very good. I have played the demo, and I like it. From the demo it looks like they avoided some of the pitfalls of BF:Vietnam. So even if they didn't much besides creating better gfx and sounds, BF2 will be a great game. It was a good move to get Trauma Studios (who did the CD mod) on board for BF2. And then it has this commander feature. I have looked into it. It's neat and simple enough to use. Clans really getting used to it and using it efficiently will certainly have a big advantage over those not embracing it.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

EA Games removed CTF Gameplay, and they made the game sooo high end, that about 50% of the players who play BF-1942 and the DC Mod, will not beable to play. all the frequent servers i play on a almost daily basis, everyone is seriously pissed that CTF has been removed not only from the Demo, but from the Retail full version aswell.

game requirements call for a GFFX-5700 or equivilant video card. not everyone can afford these higher cards. and dont go about telling me how cheap they are, some people still cant afford them.

making it that high of requirements is going to kill at least 25-30% the number of players.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Maybe, but the game (demo) looks REALLY good.

The demo plays well on my Pent 4 3.*GHz/1GBDDR/Radeon X600 Pro with medium graphics settings.

GameSpot has some tips for optimizing gameplay that might be handy. Lowering my dynamic lighting and dynamic shadowing settings to "low" gave me a nice frame-rate increase.
XeonJr
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by XeonJr »

I pre ordered it and picked it up a couple days ago. The demo was good but the graphics do indeed hammer even high end systems. My p4 @ 3.5Gigs and 5900XT can only run the game at middle resolution and low settings. Anything higher and it really beats up on my machine. I have friends who are running 6800 GT's with athlon 64 3500+'s and it is owning those systems as well. I've read that it can easily eat up a gig of ram.

The game looks absolutely wicked with high resolution/ high game settings :) I've decided to buy a new machine, prolly sli 7800 with either an athlon fx57 or dual core 4800+. Will be good to play it with some eye candy.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

Yes, it did release yesterday.

And no, Ace's buddies can not use a GeForce 4 MX to play it. :roll:
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Diedel wrote:From the demo it looks like they avoided some of the pitfalls of BF:Vietnam.
BF: Vietnam was done by a different team than BF1942 and BF2, just FYI.

Haven't had a chance to play it online yet, but from all accounts (small LAN games and singleplayer) it looks like a worthy sequel. I only wish the UI didn't blow goats balls.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Xeon,

I am playing it w/ Athlon 64 3500+ s939, X800 XT PE, 1 GB RAM on high settings (1152x864x32) w/o problems.

FX 5900 is not a good gfx card.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Iâ??ve decided to hold off on BF2 until I build a stronger machine.
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

I have a p4 3 GHz, 2 gigs of ram (pc3200), and a 6800 ultra and it runs smooth as silk on high settings and 1024x768@75 and the next higher one (1152 by 8whatever). This game rules btw......
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Until they fix their messed up control assignments, I'm not buying.
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

What messed up control settings? I have mine nearly exactly like bfv.
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

Well besides the fact that it's a pain in the ass to change control settings, it's also a bit buggy. For me, at least, I have my crouch button set to "a", but I won't duck when I'm in a vehicle turret unless I press "ctrl". And looking through the menus I don't even have anything bound to that button.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

There are a few predefined key binds you cannot change in the program - you need to edit the con file first and delete these binds. How idiotic. Find them in the "my documents" folder (or whatever the name in the English XP version is).
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

that and a few more issues are more reasons why im going to wait out.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

They also have the refresh rate defualted to 60Hz with support for other rates off. It's real fun trying to find all the places in the settings where 60Hz is mentioned when you have a machine locked at 85Hz. They pulled that ★■◆● with BF1942 in the first few patches. They finally wised up around 1.5...
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

oh no, im definately not going to go through that. :x
fuzzynads
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by fuzzynads »

It doesnt lock the refresh rates at 60. Next to each resolution there is a refresh rate you can pick. So if you select 1024x768 there will be atleast 3-4 options. example 1024x768 60hz, 1024x768 100hz.

If you dont have that option then your drivers may be botched or something else. It does give you the option, so far ive been playin quite smoothly and it has been a blast.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

AceCombat wrote:EA Games removed CTF Gameplay, and they made the game sooo high end, that about 50% of the players who play BF-1942 and the DC Mod, will not beable to play. all the frequent servers i play on a almost daily basis, everyone is seriously pissed that CTF has been removed not only from the Demo, but from the Retail full version aswell.
Well, it's not like the previous Battlefields are going anywhere. I'm sure they will be popular for years to come.

The original Unreal Tournament, six years and two sequels later, still has a very strong following. Yeah, I could have said Descent, but the following isn't near as big.
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I do have the option to change it in the game, but the settings files will only boot the game up at 60Hz unless you change it yourself. My machine is locked at 85Hz, and instead of try to use 85Hz it just shuts the game down when it isn't allowed to do 60Hz.

They did the same thing with BF1942. The first few versions I would apply the patch and then manually configure the video.con files. A few patches down the line 1942 would allow you to start with a refresh other then 60Hz. I'm surpised BF2 has backtracked here.
fuzzynads
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by fuzzynads »

Thats strange dude. My machine is locked at 85 for 1280 and 100 for 1024. I use multires and once i set the res ingame it always keeps what i set. I never have to adjust any ini files. Something isnt right. I know 1942 did that and it was apain but bf2 does not do it the same way. i run 1024x768 100hz ingame. Now however i did notice if you make a new profile, your settings will not carry over in regards to the video and sound settings.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Pretty fun game, except for a couple stupid things.

I can't remap the X key under boat. It says it's in use, but it's not. X is my turn left key, so it's kind of important. X remaps under all the other vehicles just fine, but not under boat.

Unique player names suck. I want to use a name that's already in use. I don't really care about global stats, so it kind of sucks that I can't use the name I want because of it.
fuzzynads
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by fuzzynads »

Yo vander if you look at controls there are different tabs. The x key is used for the land vehicle controls. Its to pop out smoke. There diff tabs for land sea air and player.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

I know there are different tabs. For all the vehicles I use X and C for turning left/right. I can't use X for boat. It says it's in use on the boat page, but it isn't.
Hostile
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hostile »

With the new nvidia drivers released on the 22nd, this game is beautiful. It fixed all the shadowing and shiz. Everything looks awesome.....
Tyranny
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Tyranny »

I think I'll stick with 1942 & DC considering I can atleast PLAY those :P

Speaking of which, anyone have any idea why I can play a local game w/ a friend on the LAN in 1942 but DC crashes the game to the desktop on both computers when trying to do the same thing? Both games have the latest patches...
Buef
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Buef »

From the link Thorne put up

-----------------
Rebind Those Keys
One of the more frustrating aspects of Battlefield 2 is its key rebinding system. If you want to change the keys available to you, you're going to find that it's not exactly the most user-friendly system on the market. It will spit out a lot of errors when you attempt to rebind a key with another key that's already bound, without telling you precisely where the error is coming from. What's more, some keys, such as left Alt, just can't be bound for one reason or another. Sometimes you may just want to get around the system by going straight to the source and editing the config files themselves.

To do so, go to the My Documents folder on your hard drive, then open up the Battlefield 2/Profiles folder. There should be a couple of folders here, along with a couple of files, one of which will be named "Global.con." To open this file, right click on it, select Open or Open With..., then select Notepad. Inside, you'll find a text string denoting which folder here is the default user; it'll either be "Default," or something like "0001," "0002," or something similar. When you find out what it is, go back to the Profiles folder and open the folder referenced in the Global.con file.

Inside this folder, find the Controls.con folder and open it in the same manner as the Global.con folder. You're going to find a long string of control settings for each of your different vehicle types. Interpreting the syntax here will take a bit of work, but with a little work you should be able to figure out how the game denotes actions and the keys bound to them. For instance, this line:

ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PIAltFire IDFKeyboard IDKey_LeftShift 0 0

Indicates that the command for your alternate fire is bound to the Left Shift key on your keyboard. If you wanted to manually change this to another key, say the W key, you'd simply give it a minor edit:

ControlMap.addKeyToTriggerMapping c_PIAltFire IDFKeyboard IDKey_W 0 0

If you map a key, be sure to check the rest of the lines in the same section (infantry, air, whatever) to ensure that it's not bound to two separate actions. The in-game remapping system won't let you do this, so it's probably not a good idea to do it by accident in the .con files themselves.

This is going to come in especially handy if you're attempting to bind joystick controls, as the game just seems to be kind of wonky when it comes to pretending that unbound joystick axes and buttons are actually bound. Unfortunately, it can be a task to figure out precisely what to type to bind an action to your joystick. The syntax seems to depend on whether or not you're trying to bind an axis of movement on the stick itself, e.g.:

ControlMap.addAxisToAxisMapping c_PIPitch IDFGameController_0 IDAxis_1 1 0

Or one of the buttons on the joystick:

ControlMap.addButtonToTriggerMapping c_PIFire IDFGameController_0 IDButton_0 0 0

Of course, the problem is actually figuring out which button " IDButton_0" corresponds to on your joystick. A bit of experimentation will likely be required to figure out what button or axis designation is the one you're looking for. You may want to create a new profile in the game, attempt to map all of your buttons and axes to specific actions, note them, then match them up in the profile's folder to see what's what.

When you're done making your changes, save the file and boot up the game to enjoy your new bindings. If you have multiple profiles in-game, you can copy and paste the controls.con to all of the folders in your Profiles folder to theoretically make all of them unified.

Get Rid of the Splash Movies
Regrettably enough, most game publishers enjoy putting unskippable splash screens in their games, which play each time the game starts. These are, to put it mildly, annoying, but luckily for you, you can get rid of them and get right into the game within seconds after clicking your shortcut.

To do so, go to this directory:

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\Movies

And either delete or move the movies there to another folder, leaving only menu.bik and menu_loggedin.bik behind. With the files not in the directory, the game won't be able to play them when it starts up, so it'll just skip past them.

Some users, however, report problems connecting to servers or getting kicked from them when moving these files out of the directory; if you're worried about this, you might want to create a blank Notepad document and rename it to match the name of the files that were previously there. You can do so in Windows by going to the folder, right-clicking, then selecting "New Text Document" from the popup menu and renaming it after it's created. For instance, after moving the 135 megabyte "Intro.bik" file to another directory, you could return to the \movies folder, right click, make a new text document, and name it "Intro.bik." This new file would be zero bytes in size, but may prevent the game's anticheat protection from detecting that you've messed around with the movies.

Running Alternate Resolutions
If you want to run Battlefield 2 in a resolution not supported by the in-game video options, you can adjust your startup shortcut by rightclicking on it and changing the pointer to something like this:

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2 Demo\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +fullscreen 1 +szx 1280 +szy 1024

This would launch it in 1280x1024 resolution. You can change these numbers to anything you wish, such as 1680x1050 for widescreen monitors.

Removing Tutorial Voiceover
If you've played the demo, then you've probably heard just about all of the tutorial voiceovers that you really need, but unfortunately, you're going to have to hear them all over again when you install the retail version of the game. Unless, that is, you find the audio files for grandpa and just delete them. To do so, go to:

C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\Movies

And open up the file called Common_client.zip. If you sort the contents by path, then you should be able to find a directory called sound\english\help_vo\. If you delete all of the files in this directory, then you won't have to hear the voiceover nags for each tutorial menu when it pops up for the first time.
Vander
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Vander »

Thanks Buef. (and Thorne)

It looks like X was binded to Drop Flare, I think, which isn't even available under boat. I deleted that bind from controls.con and I was able to bind X to whatever I wanted.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

fuzzynads wrote:Thats strange dude. My machine is locked at 85 for 1280 and 100 for 1024. I use multires and once i set the res ingame it always keeps what i set.
same here, on BF-DC i run 1024 and its locked at 75 Hz. only because thats what my Sony can support.

but its never lost that. sometimes its funny about what res/refresh to use and it will flicker once or twice before it locks in, but thats it.

and i watch the intro movies once, then delete them.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

BF2 runs oh so beautifully for me @1024 with settings at medium. Looks quite lovely too.
I got a XP2500 @2700, GFX 5950U & 1gig of ram.

It does seem a bit buggy.
Every so often it'll lock/crash when starting a single player game.
Unique names suck indeed. EA needs to learn the difference between account & display names.

Outside all of that this game is so damn fun, and I haven't even played online yet (internet doesn't stay on for more than 20 minutes this weekend :mad: ).