Stephen King.

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Stephen King.

Post by Flabby Chick »

I'm currently half way through the last in the "Dark Tower series". A mammoth yarn about a moody gunslinger and his group of talented misfits who run around a plethora of wheres and whens saving all the worlds they can. It's a truly massive story that King started twenty odd years ago and interconnects with most of the other books he's written over the years, and there's gonna be a big empty space in me belly when it's finally finished. A space i've not had since a kid reading the Narnia tales or Lord of The Rings.

Anyway hats off to Mr King, it's a shame that this great writer will only be appreciated when he's gone as a true commentator of American (darkness) culture.

Long days and pleasant nights sai.
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

I just finished #7 last week (at 7:19pm, which is 19:19).

I'd rate the series as pretty good but uneven. Since he never planned it out, it's got a very ad-hoc feel to it. My favorites were the middle three: The Waste Lands, Wizard and Glass, and Wolves of the Calla. I thought the first two were too immature and random and the last two were too hurried and desperate. Not that anything sucked; I just didn't feel it was as good as some other epics I've read.

Anyway, now that I've pooh-poohed in your thread, I should leave a warning (I think I can phrase this without it being a spoiler). At the beginning of the last chapter or epilogue or whatever he called it, King directly warns the reader to stop reading now or else face disappointment. I wish I'd taken his advice and stopped reading then, but I just had to read a few more pages (as if the thousands of preceding pages weren't enough) and I got smacked.
whuppinboy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by whuppinboy »

Genghis wrote: At the beginning of the last chapter or epilogue or whatever he called it, King directly warns the reader to stop reading now or else face disappointment. I wish I'd taken his advice and stopped reading then, but I just had to read a few more pages (as if the thousands of preceding pages weren't enough) and I got smacked.
i should have done the same thing. i got a kick out of all his tie-in's to his previous books and writing himself into it.

now write something truly scary dammit!
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Now that i've finished it finally i can add that i agree with Ghengis about the difference between the books, but when you consider the series was written over a period of 25 years or so, i can forgive that.

On the conclusion though i don't agree with. I put the book down a for a day or so to savour it before i read the bit where King advises "the constant reader" not to look for an ending. I thought it was a stroke of genius and perfectly finished it off. I won't say more in case somone else decides to read the five thousand pages in the future.

ps....The way Walter died wasn't scary Whupp?? May it do ya!