warning: volitile subject matter

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

warning: volitile subject matter

Post by max kragen »

Without trying to sound redundant yet still get my point across right away...this game is boring and monotonous.
Nightly,I get on here and see the same stuff happening....half the time I will sit and stare at a game tracker page constanlty refreshing it just hoping that for once I'll see something different that makes my heart jump..something that says 'now this'll be different'. Now don't jump up and get me wrong...Descent series is prolly the greatest game (with argument)ever created, at least to date.
At any rate, I see some people trying to organize and I see some people trying to help...However,I dont see much from the general community. I dunno'...Maybe if these players felt like they were more a part of the community and less like a flyin target..heh..whatever...I clearly don't know the answer but I'm sure some of the vetern players know what I'm saying...I remember when I played 'Silent Death' many years ago...we had different events every nite...there was always a dueling arena where guys would duel for a tag they could wear for awhile...at least till it got took from 'em in the next series of matches...heh. And then there would be free for all arenas where clans(teams) would fight it out in a points killfest..and there were no trophys...but u got to carry the community knowledge that u belonged to a team that is dominant,now...not 7 months ago at the latest Lan (especially when god knows when there will be another). Well...I've said enuff...for now anyway. Let's do something to get this game back up and on its feet...it's a dominant game..it should be treated as such :)

(on a side note I did find a pretty crazy cool arena the other day...it was called 'Wolf's Den' and it was simply amazing,nm the 100 kills I got for the first time in a game...Would be a great team deathmatch arena)
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

the ppl in the d3 community have been helping out since d1 came out and now they dont have time for this game anymore
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

Some of us still work on Descent 3 a little.

Most of us, however, are just generally annoyed and pushed away by the general apatheticness of the community.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

and refusal to try new things.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

I'll try new things, but it has to be "not boring" for me too.

You say some games are boring to you, I find some games boring to me. However, there must be some games that are "not as boring" to both of us. I will play those if others play them even if it isn't one of my favorites.

However, "lots" of people will only play "very not boring" games and will refuse to settle for any kind of middle ground. I am willing to.

How about making a list.....

Bettina
max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by max kragen »

bet51987 wrote:However, "lots" of people will only play "very not boring" games and will refuse to settle for any kind of middle ground. I am willing to.

How about making a list.....

Bettina
excellent post Bettina..thx for your input..as well as Zero, Stryker and Ferno. :) Those who prefer to sit in 1 arena and stagnate...feel free...the rest of us are gonna grow...:) *dismissed*
My thoughts on this subject are as follows:
The 'Wolf's Den'(as stated earlier) would be an excellent arena for a killfest match, be it teams or not. The winner(or winners) would get to don a special tag until the next match...etc.
Duel matches would be held in the 'Stadium' for example...u could be required to go into observer mode until summoned for ur fight...again, the winner would be awarded some sort of tag to be displyed until its taken.
The CTF matches I see(and play in)are leaving something to be desired as well...always VV.hmmm...boring...sorry but its the monotony that will make u stagnate as a pilot and I aint goin' there...heh. I love those matches and theres nothing that stimulates me like a challenge!
These are just the ramblings of an amatuer tho'...if anyone of yall would like to take some of these ideas and 'run' with 'em, feel free. :)
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Another game I really liked was Hyperspace ctf. It was like D3 in outer space.

Just my pov.

Bettina
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

I've been saying it for years. People only play the same stupid maps because they don't want to get beat up on maps they haven't memorized. They're afraid to try newer and better maps, so level makers are afraid to make new maps because people won't play them. It's the cycle that's slowly suffocating this game.
max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by max kragen »

[quote="bet51987"]Another game I really liked was Hyperspace ctf. It was like D3 in outer space.

Just my pov. Bettina

...now that's an arena that requires true teamwork!
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

max kragen wrote:
bet51987 wrote:Another game I really liked was Hyperspace ctf. It was like D3 in outer space.

Just my pov. Bettina

Yep....when I would hear that sound that someone picked up the enemy flag, I would immediately head for the enemy base and start firing at the entrance door to stop (only the enemy) from coming out. I wish it was on the cx list again.

Unlike Halcyon, which is too small, Hyperspace has "depth" to it.

Bettina
TheCope
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheCope »

I did my time and feel no guilt because I want to taste a different flavor of ice cream. Quit your whining. This dog had its day sorry you missed the moment. A paragraph on the dbb (that has been written countless times) will do nothing for your non-cause.
max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by max kragen »

TheCope wrote:I did my time and feel no guilt because I want to taste a different flavor of ice cream. Quit your whining. This dog had its day sorry you missed the moment. A paragraph on the dbb (that has been written countless times) will do nothing for your non-cause.

..........thank you, so very much, for helping me show one of the reasons why this game is failing. Help is always appreciated! :)
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

It's just old, is all. When most people want to "try something new" they log into Battlefield 2, or any of the many other new games coming out.

Newbies have always prefered certain levels, due partly to the fact that the better players avoid them, and there has always been levels that have been very popular in an equal but opposite way with the pros. VV, WA2, and several others are in some kind of middle/different ground... MD hunting grounds, maybe.

When the old pros come back to play, it isn't to play something new, usually, it's to play the good old stuff.

I think there's merit to your feelings on this, but I don't think the D3 community is alive enough to do justice to it.
max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by max kragen »

Sergeant Thorne wrote:...it's just old is all....
When the old pros come back to play, it isn't to play something new, usually, it's to play the good old stuff...I think there's merit to your feelings on this, but I don't think the D3 community is alive enough to do justice to it.
thank you...your prolly one o' the players that has kept this game alive :)
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

Hang in there MAx !.. And, no fear MAx.. D3 Forever ! ... some of us who still love playing just like blowing up a lot ! And don't "need something new" .. ( that much) .. and are addicted or genetically predisposed to play D3 , no matter how, boring-unboring, .. we need our fix of 6df in any level, at any pyro-spanking cost of pride... VVG, AB2, SKYBOX ! I would love to meet up with a gang in Skybox Hoard... ! Hoard is a great adrenalinator ! ... pee my Pyro diapers every time !

.. So I go out in teh mines more and more in my tank these days, ... I get beat up so much I find it 'hurts less' in a tank .. I 'last longer'... (!).

...A phoeeni has me banging off the walls. Blow me up before I do !

... So MAx, look out for the people in teh levels, not just what is being served... Like Betti' who is very nimble no matter what she's 'wearing' to the Subway or the mall !
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

!@!@## DBBL Bbbl
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

Doh !~ .. all the inuendo.. ! in above-most post , .. was err, ... Freudian I guess... I was talking about playing D3 with my Joystick ... a Cyborg Evo,... you may have been wondering, ...
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

you want to try something different? how about #300 Baud Entropy Duel Arenas, I haven't played that in a long time and it was always fun.
Cangaceiro
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cangaceiro »

I'm trying to come up with a level that won't make ppl so bored. Ideas are welcomed. because at this point I'm out of it.
Kyouryuu
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Kyouryuu »

It's so competitive that it's just no fun to play anymore. I only get so much time everyday to play a PC game. "Practice" is something I don't care to put into a single game. Hmm, would I rather get my butt kicked in Descent 3 by a Mass Driver I'm too sluggish to react to, or jump into Unreal Tournament where players of all skills are represented, fighting and sharing space in the same map? Choices... choices...
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

You're lucky it's harder to kick someone's a** on a BB than it is in the mines, or you'd stick to the UT forums too, you ground-pounding whiner!

... and I mean that in the best possible way. ;)
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

max kragen wrote:
bet51987 wrote:Another game I really liked was Hyperspace ctf. It was like D3 in outer space.

Just my pov. Bettina

heh teamwork? :)
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

more like...SPAMwork.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Kyouryuu wrote:It's so competitive that it's just no fun to play anymore. I only get so much time everyday to play a PC game. "Practice" is something I don't care to put into a single game. Hmm, would I rather get my butt kicked in Descent 3 by a Mass Driver I'm too sluggish to react to, or jump into Unreal Tournament where players of all skills are represented, fighting and sharing space in the same map? Choices... choices...
Hit the nail on the head.

And its funny because I once said something to the tune of what Liquid Fire said a while ago and I got flamed for it. Shows you the kind of people who play this game and their holier than thou attitude they impose on other people. :roll:
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

i never remember open games being all that competitive
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Birdseye wrote:i never remember open games being all that competitive
On rare occasions they can be, such as the 50k tourney unless you dont consider that open.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

he said open games you dork.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

I miss D3.

It's to the point where my system can't even run the new games, and I don't care to waist $ upgrading it, since everything else that I could run never 'did it' for me for longer then a month. Tribes2 made it two months.

Sorry for tangent, but I get special tangent rights here.

<3 Fern/Pun
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

If I can do well in open games, it ain't so competitive, and I do awesome :)
max kragen
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by max kragen »

...strange...there are like 15 new posts on this and
I was never informed by email about any of 'em...????? ('notify me' is checked)
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

punisher wrote:he said open games you dork.
I was referring to anarchy dude because theyre have been many anarchy games where it was one point away from 1,2,3,4,5 and so on.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

thanks behemoth, I forgot all about the pressure packed anarchy games I've played!
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Behemoth wrote:
Birdseye wrote:i never remember open games being all that competitive
On rare occasions they can be, such as the 50k tourney unless you dont consider that open.
How can a tourney be an open game?

<3 Goob.
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

open games in my book are games that arent 1v1, but thats just me =)
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Zero! wrote:open games in my book are games that arent 1v1, but thats just me =)
Exactly what i was trying to get across thanks man.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

well, you're both wrong. An open game is a game anyone can join, regardless of circimstance. A tourney, on the other hand is the exact opposite of that.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

punisher wrote:well, you're both wrong. An open game is a game anyone can join, regardless of circimstance. A tourney, on the other hand is the exact opposite of that.
I was talking about a game with more then 2 people, i.e anarchy the fact that it was a tourney game really doesnt matter just the fact that it had more then 2 people in it, thus in my mind an open game.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Behemoth wrote:
punisher wrote:well, you're both wrong. An open game is a game anyone can join, regardless of circimstance. A tourney, on the other hand is the exact opposite of that.
I was talking about a game with more then 2 people, i.e anarchy the fact that it was a tourney game really doesnt matter just the fact that it had more then 2 people in it, thus in my mind an open game.
Then your mind is wrong.

Closed games are games in which only a certain set of people are allowed to participate -- ladder matches, tournament games, clan matches, private games, etc. These games are called "closed" because, if you're not invited, you can't get in (or, shouldn't, anyway.)

The opposite of this is open games, meaning, anybody can join without asking or being asked (up to the player limit, provided you're not banned.) Open games can be anarchy, entropy, 1v1, whatever.

If you're talking about 1v1 games vs. not-1v1 games, use the right terminology so you don't confuse people. Like Birds said, open games (ie, games which are not closed) are rarely competitive to the same level that closed games are. Closed games (tourneys, ladder matches, etc.) tend to be filled with the best pilots, while open games tend to attract people of all skills and are therefore not so competitive.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Lothar wrote:
Behemoth wrote:
Then your mind is wrong.

Closed games are games in which only a certain set of people are allowed to participate -- ladder matches, tournament games, clan matches, private games, etc. These games are called "closed" because, if you're not invited, you can't get in (or, shouldn't, anyway.)

The opposite of this is open games, meaning, anybody can join without asking or being asked (up to the player limit, provided you're not banned.) Open games can be anarchy, entropy, 1v1, whatever.

If you're talking about 1v1 games vs. not-1v1 games, use the right terminology so you don't confuse people. Like Birds said, open games (ie, games which are not closed) are rarely competitive to the same level that closed games are. Closed games (tourneys, ladder matches, etc.) tend to be filled with the best pilots, while open games tend to attract people of all skills and are therefore not so competitive.
Thank you, Lothar!