How Long

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

How Long

Post by woodchip »

Before some far left weenie says the London bombings are really Britains fault for being in Iraq aiding the U.S.
Pebkac
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pebkac »

About the same amount of time it takes some righty to suggest nuking Mecca or Medina.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Pebkac wrote:About the same amount of time it takes some righty to suggest nuking Mecca or Medina.
Damn righties always wanting to nuke, when all proper-thinking lefties know that the CORRECT response is to stamp your foot and grimace (fiercely) to show our displeasure at these barbaric acts.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

Wow, London is burning and all you can think of are the implications for your petty left-wing/right-wing sandbox war? I'm impressed.
Pebkac
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Pebkac »

WA: I wasn't endorsing a course of action, only providing a counter-point to Woodchip's post. Yes, the extreme left's proposed solutions are ridiculous, but so are those of my neighbors here in redneckland. The answer is, as always, somewhere in the middle.

Pandora: I did my best to put London out, but my garden hose just won't spray that far. Since I can't offer tangible assistance, I choose to discuss the political ramifications. However, I will refrain from doing this until I have received word that you've given the green light.
Pandora
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Pandora »

Pebkac wrote: I did my best to put London out, but my garden hose just won't spray that far. Since I can't offer tangible assistance, I choose to discuss the political ramifications. However, I will refrain from doing this until I have received word that you've given the green light.
Oh sorry, I didn't get that you were discussing "political ramifications", to me it sounded like bickering. Go ahead.

As an aside:
I wasn't endorsing a course of action, only providing a counter-point to Woodchip's post. Yes, the extreme left's proposed solutions are ridiculous, but so are those of my neighbors here in redneckland. The answer is, as always, somewhere in the middle.
I understood your comment quite well and appreciated it.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

My tongue was, as always, firmly in cheek.

I'm neither righty nor lefty. I'm more pragmatist. Let's do something to fix the problem...something that works, rather than what is endorsed by ideology of whatever flavor. Of course, I suppose that's ideology of another flavor itself isn't it.

Regardless, we have, at present, at least 40 dead and hundreds more suffering injuries...
Palzon
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Palzon »

My thoughts go out to victims, their families, and the people of London.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Ok, let's start out by stating, clearly, what "the problem" is ......
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

The problem is that most people hate each other nowadays, or at least it seems like that in most foreign countries
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

There's a thread in the Cafe for expressing your condolences, prayers, etc. As Lex said, "The shock of this attack in London will pass quickly, then all the usual parties will maneuver to gain political advantage from it. All parties will argue that it validates their existing positions." But not here, and not today. "For now, pray for the dead, the injured, their families, the people caring for the wounded." Save the partisan bickering for another day.
Birdseye
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Birdseye »

They are not Britain's fault, it's always the attacker's fault, but it would be hard to argue that the escalation of middle east troubles by the US and Britain through the Iraq war would not make them a more likely target.

But as Lothar quoted Lex: "The shock of this attack in London will pass quickly, then all the usual parties will maneuver to gain political advantage from it. All parties will argue that it validates their existing positions"

Left says see your escalation brought this on
Right says see we need to be over there attacking 'them'
TheCope
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheCope »

Blowing up the common worker on their way to make a dime ain't gonna win you a popularity contest. Turning violent death into a political remark within hours of the atrocity DEFINITELY ain't gonna win you a popularity contest.

Need we remind you that the Al-Qaida is not left wing? They are extreme right wing, genius. Thatâ??s a pretty sickening post woodchip.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

TheCope wrote:
Need we remind you that the Al-Qaida is not left wing? They are extreme right wing, genius. Thatâ??s a pretty sickening post woodchip.
First off I wasn't aware A.Q. was politically to the right or the left. Perhaps Copsy you could enlighten me further.
My post was politically orientated as terrorism is politics at the animal level. What is sickening Cops are certain mouthpieces like Kennedy, Durbin, Reed et-al who play up to the terrorists in the hope they can get their party back in power. Durbins comments of "Gulags" or Kennedy's "Quagmire" quotes only encourage terrorists to continue their attacks in a percieved viewpoint that our resolve is weakening.
Perhaps I'll be proven wrong as to the gist of my post. The G-8 leaders all seemed to stand shoulder to shoulder with Tony Blair...but then I remember all the politico's standing togeather singing patriotic songs after 9/11 and voting in two war resolutions. Remind me again how long it was before protestors appeared and certain senators and congressmen were bashing our war effort.
MehYam
DBB Head Flapper
DBB Head Flapper

Re: How Long

Post by MehYam »

woodchip wrote:Before some far left weenie says the London bombings are really Britains fault for being in Iraq aiding the U.S.
Sounds like a far-right weenie said it first!