Host name aliases

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Host name aliases

Post by Iceman »

Anyone know a way (in Linux) to setup host name aliases without knowing the IP address of the host? I know that in the /etc/hosts file I can equate any number of aliases to a given IP address but I don't know the IP of the node I want to alias.

I am using an FC2 installation and tapping onto a M$ Windows network. I know the name of the node I want to hit but it is so long that it's a pain in the @$$ to type it every time I want to FTP to it.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

you can't get the IP of this host you want to connect to, is it one of those virtual host setups?
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

Can you just set the 'really long name' to be the 'IP address' in the hosts file and use that? Or, set something up in ~/.login or ~/.profile (dunno which it is for your version) that sets your short name to the long name for you as a variable, kinda like path? (I don't know if that's possible, just an idea).
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

The IP address changes (DHCP) so I would have to look it up quite often. The name of the node is "Bart-WinXP-In-Pauls-Office@magnacom-inc.com" ... duh ... so much for using a descriptive name when I set it up. Anyhow, re-typing that name over and over again is a pain in the arse. Imagine this ...

% ping Bart-WinXP-In-Pauls-Office@magnacom-inc.com
% ftp Bart-WinXP-In-Pauls-Office@magnacom-inc.com
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

You would need some type of program like 'no-ip" for windows that would translate the PC's IP to a given name. Don't know of any for Linux.
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

store it as a shell varible.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Well you could always run BIND on the machine, define an alias for your big long name, and configure it to refer all your other requests to the network's DNS server, but that would be a bit excessive. :P

In fact, if you have access to the DNS server that's already running on your network, why not add an alias right on that? That's a lot cleaner than storing the big long name in a shell variable.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

DCrazy wrote:In fact, if you have access to the DNS server that's already running on your network, why not add an alias right on that? That's a lot cleaner than storing the big long name in a shell variable.
That's a good idea but I don't have access to the server admin account. Looks like its gonna be a shell variable.

%!/bin/csh
% setenv BART Bart-WinXP-In-Pauls-Office@magnacom-inc.com
% ping $BART
% ftp $BART

That may not be so bad ...