To Bettina: About offensive audio taunts.

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

To Bettina: About offensive audio taunts.

Post by Nosferatu »

I'm posting this out in the open and not to a PM because I think that others might have some input into this as well.

Now Bettina, I understand that you do not like audio taunts with F words and SH words in them. I really do understand that and itâ??s OK.

But I hope you can understand that some individuals might just find a squealy militant feminist woman screeching, "I'm going to kill you", just as offensive.

My nephew Jimmy and I feel this way Bettina. But, we donâ??t say anything since we donâ??t believe there should be any censorship in audio taunts. Bettina, Its not that we donâ??t like you. We both appreciate that you are a fairly skilled pilot.

But when you start asking others not to use their F word and SH word taunts, then I guess all I'm saying is that you should not be surprised when those same individuals turn around and ask you not to use your "I'm going to kill you" taunts.

I hope you can see the logic in this.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

There is a filter in Pilot configuration it's at the bottom for profanity filter and to allow/disallow audio taunts.
TheCope
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheCope »

Why turn on audio taunts when you can just bend to the will of a child? What a non topic.
;-0
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

For my part, the "I'm going to kill you" part has always hurt my feelings, as well as my sense of justice. I am a veteran D3 player of 6 years or so, and the very idea that a girl with such an annoying voice could take/"kill" me is deeply troubling. Have I been playing all this time only to be bested by the weaker side of humanity? Have I wasted all these years? Am I a noob (pronounced, nube)? Is it wrong to fly a Magnum?

Bettina, I hope you can see that these are thoughts that should never have to trouble anyone. Please be more considerate in the future.

;)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I've always disabled audio taunts, I found them to be unnecessary distractions that didn't contribute to the fun of the game.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Dude. No need for sarcasm. Im just pointing out the unbelievable hypocracy from Bettina.

From now on I use all the F*** and SH** Taunts I like. If Bettina wants to disconnect because of that, who cares.
Zetal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zetal »

I don't see the problem. There is a difference between offensive and profane audio taunts.

What would you like your grandparents hearing more?

"Holy S***! I need a tylenol!" vs. "I'm going to kill you."
"F*** the f****** f******," vs. "Creating death showers!"
"Who the f*** said that?!" vs. "I'm so high I have no idea what's going on."
"Why you miserable c*********." vs. "Let the bodies hit the floor!"
"I will slap you in the mouth with my d***." vs. "What would you do with a brain if you had one?"

I think running by [NuB]'s idea that anything with profanity in it is unacceptable.

Now, are you really offended by a female saying "I'm going to kill you?" Give it a rest.
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

A cure for taunt-phobia...

1. Listen to SuperSheep's D3 Audio Taunt Compilation
2. If you're still offended by any taunts, repeat step 1.
Zetal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zetal »

SuperSheep wrote:A cure for taunt-phobia...

Very true. :lol:
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Zetal wrote:I don't see the problem. There is a difference between offensive and profane audio taunts.

What would you like your grandparents hearing more?

"Holy S***! I need a tylenol!" vs. "I'm going to kill you."
"F*** the f****** f******," vs. "Creating death showers!"
"Who the f*** said that?!" vs. "I'm so high I have no idea what's going on."
"Why you miserable c*********." vs. "Let the bodies hit the floor!"
"I will slap you in the mouth with my d***." vs. "What would you do with a brain if you had one?"

I think running by [NuB]'s idea that anything with profanity in it is unacceptable.

Now, are you really offended by a female saying "I'm going to kill you?" Give it a rest.
You dont get it. I dont care if she runs off everytime I use a F or SH taunt. Im not going to stop just because she cant handle it. She can always turn off audio taunts. But it doesnt mean that I neccessarilly hate her as she claims now and again.

And uh dude. Offence is in the eye of the beholder. If I say Im offeded by it then it is offensive. Im pointing out that censorship is a slippery slope. I dont think there should be any, escpecially if you can turn off audio taunts.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Geez...This bothered me a lot and I'm sorry for causing trouble. The "Sh" word never bothered me...just the "Fword", and only in an audio taunt. I have rules to follow until I'm 18, but after that I will follow them on my own anyway. Other players have honored my request when I asked "Please", like I did you and Jimmy. The difference was that they respected me and ceased to use them in the game and I very much admire them for that. I have even had players follow me from game to game several times just to fire the fwords at me, so I quit for the night.

On many other occasions, and in other games, there were dads playing with there kids, and once mentioned, the fword was halted by the players who respected his wishes. It's called courtesy.

I like audio taunts and I can't play without them. They are fun and some are really clever and make me laugh. Some, tuant me enough to make me scream and bang my mouse on the table. I have broken several of them and had to play with a broken one when my dad refused to buy me another.

However, I am sorry for saying "you don't like me" or something like that. It was childish and I won't do it again. You and your nephew can go ahead and use the fword all you want, and I promise that next time I see you or jimmy in a game, I will leave quickly without making a childish comment. There are plenty of games being played, or I can play my other game "Sims2.

See you all in the mines and I apologize for making this a subject.

Bettina
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

I don't normally speak up on "sensitive" issues, but I don't mind speaking briefly on this topic. The key is "common courtesy" and nothing more. If you're playing online, you're most likely playing with people you don't actually know. How many of you would run through a resturaunt and yell obscenities at the patrons there? The only people I know who do that are idiots (yes, there are a few). In an online game, you usually don't know how old your opponents are, what culture they come from, nothing. It would be ludicrous to alienate people when it could be simply avoided, without ruining the game's *FUN*. I for one don't think shouting obscenities at people is fun, online or otherwise.

So Bettina, I don't think you're wrong for asking them to not use those taunts, any more than I think you're right for using something possibly just as obscene. So until they include code to disable taunts for individual players in a game, why use them at the risk of driving away players from an already dying community?

And for you "young'uns," I used to think cursing was funny too, until I grew up and then had kids. Now I realize how dumb it sounds. These are the kind of people that curse their children, then turn around and slap them for doing the very same thing. I've seen it a hundred times.

There are much better ways to get attention and respect. And if you happen to spout off while in a game with me, don't be surprised if I come gunning for ya. Yeah, I'll die, but you won't hear me bitching about it. That's what honor is about.

Peace.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

SuperSheep wrote: 1. Listen to SuperSheep's D3 Audio Taunt Compilation

how many taunts was that?

how many UNIQUE taunts? i know i had a list on my D3 that had a few that were at least 9-10 copies.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

The rescue.....I can't play it loud enough. I get goosebumps every time. I already had this but thanks anyway for getting me to play it again and again.....

Bettina
Zetal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zetal »

FunkyStickman wrote:It would be ludicrous to alienate people when it could be simply avoided, without ruining the game's *FUN*. I for one don't think shouting obscenities at people is fun, online or otherwise.

So Bettina, I don't think you're wrong for asking them to not use those taunts, any more than I think you're right for using something possibly just as obscene. So until they include code to disable taunts for individual players in a game, why use them at the risk of driving away players from an already dying community?
That last line is all too true. It's only the community's fault when half the players are chased away in such a manner.
Nosferatu wrote:And uh dude. Offence is in the eye of the beholder. If I say Im offeded by it then it is offensive.
All due respect but I think this next quote is a little funny next to this one:
Nosferatu wrote:Dude. No need for sarcasm. Im just pointing out the unbelievable hypocracy from Bettina.
In that case, you would be doing the same thing. But there's one extra part. You came over to the forums for a personal attack while Bettina just leaves the game.

So that why I think this should be dropped.
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

Bet51987 wrote:

The rescue.....I can't play it loud enough. I get goosebumps every time. I already had this but thanks anyway for getting me to play it again and again.....

Bettina
I'm glad you like it :D. Hearing that many swears in such a short expanse of time makes it funny IMHO.

Ace...I believe I had 680 taunts but as you said, many were repeated. Probably like 400-500 unique taunts if I had to guess.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Bettina wrote:The rescue.....I can't play it loud enough. I get goosebumps every time. I already had this but thanks anyway for getting me to play it again and again.....

Bettina
SuperSheep wrote:I'm glad you like it :D. Hearing that many swears in such a short expanse of time makes it funny IMHO.

Ace...I believe I had 680 taunts but as you said, many were repeated. Probably like 400-500 unique taunts if I had to guess.
I don't get it. I didn't hear any swears.....or are you "taunting" me. :)

Bettina
SuperSheep
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by SuperSheep »

You sure you listened to this?
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

heh, that taunt compilation brings back memories. About a minute's worth of those are mine (most of the metal taunts that are grouped together). It doesn't include the other 500 or so taunts I made though, and misses all the best "real" taunts. :)
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

SuperSheep wrote:You sure you listened to this?
No, but now that I heard it, I erased it cause I thought you were just fooling. I'm sure in the next few weeks I will be getting more of these "lessons" during the games.

Bettina
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Using swear words on a continuing basis shows a singular lack of literary ability and makes one think you are a brainless hillbilly grade school dropout. :P
MaxHeadroom
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by MaxHeadroom »

While I don't like the idea of my 13 year old son being subjected to some of the words being thrown about, he and I have an understanding that throughout life he will hear such words, and they will identify those who lack the ability to express themselves in an educated and respectful manner, and require no real response.

While some may be very funny, there are as many funny options that do not imply an adult only crowd.

I do agree that the "I'm going to kill you" does not feel funny, especially in light of the world we live in today.

We heard it several times tonight... My son and I are searching for the proper taunt response... but it still eludes us. :wink:

George
Zetal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zetal »

I guess one of the first things we're going to do, if we get the source code, is change the terms "kills" and "deaths" to "neutralizations" and "destructions." :P

I guess "I'm going to kill you." is too much even though the point of the game is killing your opponent. Yes, there is a pilot's head that flies out of the ship. Want proof? Check it out with the object viewer.

If a taunt that says that they are going to kill you is too much, you're playing the wrong game. If one that includes strong profanity is too much, that's understandable since, after all, the game is rated T. But yes I do know that there's that warning about how the rating changes during online play.

In the meantime:

Image Image
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

woodchip wrote:Using swear words on a continuing basis shows a singular lack of literary ability and makes one think you are a brainless hillbilly grade school dropout. :P
Seconded.
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

What about those seasoned pilots like myself who feel like we are being silenced and marginalized when we are required to refrain from using an audio taunt and others are not required to do the same. You dont think that that situation isnt pushing us away?

*sigh* I guess D3 truely is dead.
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

What are you guys talking about? D3 IS dead!
Nightmare USA
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nightmare USA »

Well I swear but as far as audio taunts go I wish some were toned down only because I like my new 5.1 audio system and would rather use my speakers than headphones. I am not for censorship I just wish some would not be so vulgar, not that they care so there is no point in mentioning it really.

I would rather have Betina playing than to have her father remove her because of all the language.
Hahnenkam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hahnenkam »

Nosferatu wrote:What about those seasoned pilots like myself who feel like we are being silenced and marginalized when we are required to refrain from using an audio taunt and others are not required to do the same. You dont think that that situation isnt pushing us away?

insert "drama" pic here
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Nightmare USA wrote:Well I swear but as far as audio taunts go I wish some were toned down only because I like my new 5.1 audio system and would rather use my speakers than headphones. I am not for censorship I just wish some would not be so vulgar, not that they care so there is no point in mentioning it really.

I would rather have Betina playing than to have her father remove her because of all the language.
Thanks for the kind words. And thanks to all for the PM's I received in support. I don't feel so bad now. :)
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Nosferatu wrote:What about those seasoned pilots like myself who feel like we are being silenced and marginalized when we are required to refrain from using an audio taunt and others are not required to do the same. You dont think that that situation isnt pushing us away?

Nosferatu....I would rather have been your friend than not. I have but one question for you. How do you justify your vulgar language when fathers are trying to teach there young kids how to play D3?

Bettina
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

Technically its not my vulgar language unless I was talking into a microphone at the time. Itâ??s wav snippets from various vulgarities in popular culture.

But yes, I do use such taunts from time to time as does my nephew Jimmy. Unless a server OP has a problem with those taunts flowing through his/her server then I'll be using them. However, if a server OP does exert control over the audio taunts he/she allows then I would fully expect that that individual should respond to ALL complaints of what is offensive.

As for a father trying to teach a daughter to play descent and not wanting to expose her to vulgarities, well thatâ??s what Pilots->Configure->Miscellaneous->AudioTaunts is for.

Inoffensive or uncontroversial speech doesnâ??t really need any protecting.
Sergeant Thorne
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Sergeant Thorne »

Do yourself a favor and just drop it. This isn't The Sims, this is a first-person shooter. If you can find it in your heart to refrain from using taunts that really bother someone, then good for you. If not, this is a public game and she'll just have to deal with it.

For the record, "I'm going to kill you" is a very good example of just what a taunt is. I content myself by flying in such a way as to render it an idle threat. ;)
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

Bet51987 wrote:trying to teach there young kids how to play D3?
D3 is rated for 12 years of age and up on my package.
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

Floyd wrote:

owned
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Nosferatu wrote:Technically its not my vulgar language unless I was talking into a microphone at the time. Itâ??s wav snippets from various vulgarities in popular culture.

But yes, I do use such taunts from time to time as does my nephew Jimmy. Unless a server OP has a problem with those taunts flowing through his/her server then I'll be using them. However, if a server OP does exert control over the audio taunts he/she allows then I would fully expect that that individual should respond to ALL complaints of what is offensive.

As for a father trying to teach a daughter to play descent and not wanting to expose her to vulgarities, well thatâ??s what Pilots->Configure->Miscellaneous->AudioTaunts is for.

Inoffensive or uncontroversial speech doesnâ??t really need any protecting.
"I'm mad and I'm not going to take this anymore"....So, with hands shaking, I apologize if I am about to offend the board, but I'm going to fight my own battles.

Nosferatu....I would have enjoyed playing with you and your nephew, but your threat of "From now on I use all the F*** and SH** Taunts I like" is an indication of what kind of major jerk you really are and I feel sorry for Jimmy for having a teacher like you. And when you imply that its the "wav" file and not you thats vulgar, or saying your taunts are not offensive, but my "I'm going to kill you" is...shows your enormous lack of intellegence. So...I will gladly leave when you or Jimmy come in....and without any comments.

There are too many great players out there that I have a lot of fun with every night. Good guys and new kids trying to learn, and I am not going to waste my time trying to convince a vulgar, mediocre player at best, how to be courteous.
Instead of helping this game, you are making the parents push there kids away from it.

I am thru with you and your nephew and next time you have a complaint, Please try to be a man and PM me. Don't spread it around looking for sympathy, or just to cause trouble....You need to grow up big time.

All I ever asked....and I said "Please" about five times... was for you and/or Jimmy.... not to push one key....

Since this a personal attack on me, why isn't this being locked?

Bettina
Nosferatu
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Nosferatu »

I honestly did not want to frame this as a personal attack on you, Bettina. I honestly just feel as though I should not be asked to not use certain audio taunts when others tend to use audio taunts that can be seen as offensive as well.

Thats just my opinion I know. And Ill leave it at that.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Floyd wrote:
From what I could tell from a Google, D3 is rated teen, or 13+. Most games (probably not Descent though) include a ESRB disclaimer that the game experience may change during online play.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

ALL games that feature online multiplayer have that ESRB Warning about Rating Changes while online
Zetal
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zetal »

Bet51987 wrote:"I'm mad and I'm not going to take this anymore"....So, with hands shaking, I apologize if I am about to offend the board, but I'm going to fight my own battles.

Nosferatu....I would have enjoyed playing with you and your nephew, but your threat of "From now on I use all the F*** and SH** Taunts I like" is an indication of what kind of major jerk you really are and I feel sorry for Jimmy for having a teacher like you. And when you imply that its the "wav" file and not you thats vulgar, or saying your taunts are not offensive, but my "I'm going to kill you" is...shows your enormous lack of intellegence. So...I will gladly leave when you or Jimmy come in....and without any comments.

There are too many great players out there that I have a lot of fun with every night. Good guys and new kids trying to learn, and I am not going to waste my time trying to convince a vulgar, mediocre player at best, how to be courteous.
Instead of helping this game, you are making the parents push there kids away from it.

I am thru with you and your nephew and next time you have a complaint, Please try to be a man and PM me. Don't spread it around looking for sympathy, or just to cause trouble....You need to grow up big time.

All I ever asked....and I said "Please" about five times... was for you and/or Jimmy.... not to push one key....

Since this a personal attack on me, why isn't this being locked?

Bettina
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

I've been watching this thread from the sidelines. It's gay. Lock it and shut the hell up.

Go off and play Subway Dancer or something instead of causing unnecessary problems, all of you.