Opinioins...?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Opinioins...?

Post by Defender »

I just go a 19" LCD from/for work.
It's a NEC LCD1970nx.

What are your opinions on it as far as LCDs go?
So far I'm stilling far in favor of CRTs for clarity & gaming (think streaks a bunch when you drag anything across the screen, I could only imagine games playing...).
Edward
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Edward »

unless your short on space there is no reason to go LCD unless you want crystal clear display.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Another motivator is that they use less power and produce less heat.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

And CRTs rely on flicker, causing eye strain. LCDs have no flicker (the backlight is constant). One bad thing is that running an LCD at any resolution other than its native resolution (usually 1280x1024 nowadays) is ugly, though pretty much unnoticeable in games.
Edward
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Edward »

LCJDs do flicker.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

LCD's flicker eh? Funny, I don't see it :) Even at 60 HZ looking at my LCD out of the corner of my eye, I don't see that full screen strobe-like flicker on my LCD that is so noticable in a CRT. Maybe you're referring to individual pixels?

There are definately some LCD's that are useless for gaming due to their speed. Even fast LCD's are definately still slower than CRT, but mine is adequate for gaming - I'm playing CS:S, UT2k4 & Descent 3 on my Samsung 930B and D3 is the only game where I have any noticable appearance issues (especially when I get the burner pulsing in a tank REALLY rolling and screen shake sets in, I get some blurriness and/or "smearing" of the colors)

On the whole, however, I'm happy with my LCD. I find that I can accept the trade-offs involved. Colors look so much nicer!
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

This wasn't suppose to be a CRT vs. LCD thread.

I was looking for opinions on that particular model.
If it's good quality etc.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Edward: how do LCD's flicker? The backlight is constant (the pixels themselves are not phosphorescent).
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Edward wrote:LCJDs do flicker.
Evidence?

Even the Compaq FP 7317 I inherited from my grandfather after he passed doesn't ghost, tear, or flicker in the slightest bit at any refresh rate in any game. (60 - 75 is all thats supported)
Matrix
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Matrix »

Well it cost $500bux to start :P
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824002263

I'd say itâ??s not bad, has digital input, 500:1 contrast ratio, 1280x1024.

Dunno about the 25ms response time tho.

Its not like ur gaming at work, and for just doing work in windows I think even cheap LCDs are better then CRTs.

I just got a 19" Dell E1930FP yesterday, which isn't even that great of an LCD, but for windows work its just so much better looking then my 2 $300 CRTs (Mistsubishi 930SB & Viewsonic P95f+).
But of course the CRTs totally destroy the LCD in gaming :P