Anyone read The Taken by Dean Koontz?

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Anyone read The Taken by Dean Koontz?

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Anyone read this book?

I thought it was pretty good and the ending was really interesting. I did suspect it a little but I never believed it until the end. It wasn't at all what I had expected though and the way it was done made it actually better. The story was very well written and always interesting and gripping. I also thought it had some interesting thoughts at the end.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

isn't he hte guy that did the juggling book?

;)

nope, never read it.
Skyalmian
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Skyalmian »

isn't he the guy that did the juggling book?
He's the guy that got mowed down by Brian in Family Guy. :P

Never read it, either.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

For those that don't have a clue. He is a reasonably well known horror author.

This book in a sense is like a modern day WOTW. It is a lot scarrier though. And it is no kiddie book either.

BTW, one of the books he wrote was called Phatoms which was turned into a movie. That wasn't really one of my favorite movies though.

To give you guys a general idea of what it is about, the book starts out with a torrential downpour in a usually dry season in California. They find out that the strange downpour is happening all over the world. TV stations start to dissapear until only the atrocities of mankind are being displayed all mish-mashed together. Strange figures begin to appear in the woods and people sense that something the size of a mountain above them somehow by natural instinct.
whuppinboy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by whuppinboy »

**stop reading now if you don't want a semi-spoiler**

that could have been a really excellent book. the ending sucked imo. everything is tied up in a couple of hours???? c'mon! it had all the makings of one of his best books and then it seems like he got tired of typing and decided "aw ★■◆● it, i'm tired and wanna go to bed".

otherwise i liked it.
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

I read "The Taking"

*Spoiler*

Yeah, it was pretty good, but yeah the ending was a little gay. It would've been better if everyone had been told about everything, IMO.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

[spoiler] Not really sure how Koontz could have tied it up any better. There really was NO way for any human to fight the enemy in that book. It was Lucifer aka Santin. How the book ended was by simply by explaining that evil had been perished and wiped clean from the Earth and it was now a new time. That heaven and hell might have been other galaxies along with our own. i Thought it was definitly a better explanation than AAAAAAH TEH GERMS!!! Or AAAAAAAAH TEH WATER!! EWWW!! As in Signes or WOTW. [/spoiler]

The only thing that ircked me was that he used zombies again but I suppose for the explanation of what it was they were fighting, it made some sense to a degree. Just annoys me in any sci-fi where they use zombies. Done. Done. Redon. Overdone.
NWRhino
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by NWRhino »

IMO the only good things Dean Koontz ever wrote were "The Watchers" and "Phantoms". Incredible books, but the rest his stuff BLOWS.