If any one has any 3d studio max questions, i can help.

The artists and authors forum! NOTE: © original author - do not use w/out consent!

Moderators: MetalBeast, Capm

Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

If any one has any 3d studio max questions, i can help.

Post by Isaac »

Here's some of my work.
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

awesome renderings!
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

big showoff :P
i really like the first one (dragon on egg)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Nice work. Keep at it. :D
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Thank you. I'd be happy to tell you guys anything i know or make people custom work for free cuz i have no life! :)
novacron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

:D

Post by novacron »

Nice work man, you should definetely give the descent 2 cinematics a go.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

genie wrote: AL RIGHT LET'S MAKE SOME MAGIC!!!
When's it due?
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

How long does it take you to make these.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

about an hour to a week... it only take a while if im playing with parts on it.
TIGERassault
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TIGERassault »

Any chance you could make a wallpaper size of the dragon pic?
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

sure. in fact it's still a max file so all i have to do is hit the render button. What res would you like it at? And what colors would you like the dragon to be? And would you like any tatoos on it?
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I've played w/ 3D modelling before, but I was using a horribly frustrating, constantly crashing tool (d3edit).

What's the best way to get started in 3D Studio Max?
Edward
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Edward »

Id like to know what 3d studio max is.... ran a google and it turned up next to nothing to halp me understand weather it is a file format or pice of freeware.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

3DSMAX is 3D composition software, for making video games, cinematics, etc.
www.discreet.com

Another good thing that I use is Maya
www.alias.com
Edward
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Edward »

Aww but maya costs money :((
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Edward wrote:Id like to know what 3d studio max is.... ran a google and it turned up next to nothing to halp me understand weather it is a file format or pice of freeware.
3d studio max is a program that can let you create anything you can posibly imagine as a picture or video...
WarAdvocat wrote:I've played w/ 3D modelling before, but I was using a horribly frustrating, constantly crashing tool (d3edit).

What's the best way to get started in 3D Studio Max?
The best way to learn max is by finding one thing you'd want to make. This is important because there are so many routs you can take in max from making nice pictures to physics simulations to game developing. I say, find a picture you really like and try to make it. Research what ever you need and don't stop till it's done. This is how I learned max: one picture at a time... or one video...

Edward wrote:Aww but maya costs money :((
Any 3d program (well.. not bryce.. but that's crap..) is going to cost you a lot. I'm borrowing a licensed system with max to do work. Ask around. Maybe you have a rich friend around too...
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

;) My GF works for our local educational TV station... and her department (print graphics),
shares resources and space with the 3D graphics guys, so access to legit software isn't an issue

Suggestion: Linkify the big pictures in the first post.
I believe you can have smaller versions of the images be links if you embed the image tag in the link tag.
Thenior
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Thenior »

I don't want to turn this into a 3D software war but...

You can start with Gmax, but it is more limiting then the Maya Personal Learning Edition (PLE, it is the exact same thing as Maya complete, only with a watermark in the renders, and it's own special file format so it cannot be used commercially).

I got an older edition of Maya (Maya 3.0 unlimited) for $50 on eBay. You cannot purchase used Maya software though.

The reason I suggest Maya is that I had never used a 3D tool in my life except for D3EDIT. I wanted to see which I liked more, so I downloaded Maya PLE and the 3DSMAX evalution. I opened 3DSMAX, I couldn't do a thing in it hardly. In Maya, however, I created a tongue of all things, and I also animated a cheesy video, all extremly fast. But some people like 3DSMAX more. But, the fact that Maya was used in LOTR, Star Wars, Spider man, etc. is proof in and of itself that it can do higher quality renders.

But then again, some people love Blender, which is free. It does not stick with the standardized UI layout, and is very weird and confusing to the begginner.

Hope that helped :)
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

If you're looking for absolute entry-level programs, Milkshape will get you started without a high price tag ($25).
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

I must say, those are very interesting to look at.
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

I wouldn't particularly call Bryce crap. I export then render most of my 3D Studio stuff in Bryce because of the atmospheric and landscaping effects it has... It's just a slightly slower rendering system and horrible contraints (which is why i do my modeling in 3d Studio)

Anyway http://arasian.com/gallery/gallery_temple2.jpg That one's made entirely in Bryce while I was waiting for the science fair judges.
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Nitrofox125 wrote:I wouldn't particularly call Bryce crap. I export then render most of my 3D Studio stuff in Bryce because of the atmospheric and landscaping effects it has... It's just a slightly slower rendering system and horrible contraints (which is why i do my modeling in 3d Studio)

Anyway http://arasian.com/gallery/gallery_temple2.jpg That one's made entirely in Bryce while I was waiting for the science fair judges.
Why would you use Bryce at all if you have 3d studio max? It doesnâ??t make any sense at all to me. But yeah... Bryce it total crap. Itâ??s made for people who are plug in monkeys â?¦ the same people who cant make anything in Photoshop with out touching the â??filtersâ?? menuâ?¦
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Very nice!
Isaac
DBB Artist
DBB Artist

Post by Isaac »

Thank you! :D