Project Heatsink is complete

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Project Heatsink is complete

Post by MD-2389 »

Lately I had been having heat issues with my motherboard's chipset. Stupid Leadtek and their passive heatsink crap. For months I had an 80mm fan blowing on it just to keep my system stable. (Without it, chipset would hit 40C and would result in an insta-reboot and keep it going in an infinite loop until I killed power.) Well, I could spend $20 on a decent chipset sink/fan, but I decided to do something a little more interesting. I had some socket7 heatsinks laying around, and I decided to put them to good use. See, my GF4 put out so much ambient heat that it went right to my mobo's chipset. So, I decided to kill two birds with one stone. I not only mounted a socket7 heatsink on the mobo, but on my GF4 as well. Without drilling, or cutting a damned thing.

http://www.bakercountyonline.com/md-238 ... tHeatsink/

And just for kicks:

Workstation
Case lighting
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Nice.

Heh amusing, CPU coolers from years past are now needed just to cool the chipsets!
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

the HS on my Asus P4P800 VM is bigger than a Pentium 133 HS.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Nice job! I have a few of those exact same heatsinks around here too, seems like a good match for what you used em for.

Of course, its not as wacky as my P4-heatsink-on-a-9700 project I did a while back... sumbitch took up 3 PCI slots :)

(lovely quilt btw)
Floyd
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Floyd »

i'm surprised your mobo and all still works, since you've laid it directly onto your bed.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

"DUDE! How noisey is my system???" ;)

Seriously though - you need to invest some money in a new duvet cover. That thing on your bed looks like your Mom made it in 1967!

Have you ever heard of "Static Free Environments"?

Tip: Your ancient bed spread **isn't** one!
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

I think that every single one of my computer components has lain on my bed at one time or another. Maybe I'm more of a reckless rebel than I originally realized.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Hell, I do computer repair on carpet... without an anti-static strap! That makes me h4rdc0r3!!!
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

So do I, the only thing I do is plug the PSU in so the case is grounded.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Mobius wrote:"DUDE! How noisey is my system???" ;)
Seeing as the system is off when I'm not using it.... ;)
Seriously though - you need to invest some money in a new duvet cover. That thing on your bed looks like your Mom made it in 1967!
Actually, my mother made that quilt for me while she was still carrying me. Its not getting replaced, sorry.
Have you ever heard of "Static Free Environments"?
Yeah, I live in one. I could rub the carpet all day long and I wouldn't build up a charge large enough to zap anything. See, I most of the year here its very humid. Only during the winter time is static electricity ever an issue. I've never worn an anti-static wrap, or used the anti-static mats. Never needed them. You're just jealous because my job looks better. ;)
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

I agree with Floyd.

Bedsheets, blankets, carpet & no static protection = BAD HABIT !!

By the way, plugging the PSU in so that the case is grounded is not enough... but better than nothing.

Sooner or later (good chance sooner) you WILL loose an expensive part because you didn't protect you gear.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

the easy way to get around static electricity is to discharge before touching any componets, right, so all you have to do is touch the metal case before you touch the insides, and keep one hand on the case and you should be fine.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Vindicator wrote: (lovely quilt btw)
Hahaha! You made me spit water on my keyboard.

Seriously though, why is everyone so damned anal about static? Just ground yourself before touching anything static sensitive. I've never used a static strap in my life and haven't had anything zapped yet. Of course, I dont go running around dragging my feet on the carpet with wool socks while simultaneously rubbing a baloon on my head either. Just use common sense for chrissakes and you'll be fine.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Krom wrote:So do I, the only thing I do is plug the PSU in so the case is grounded.
Is that the accepted advice, to leave the PSU plugged in when working on your PC? I'm only asking because I've often heard warnings to unplug the PSU before opening the case, to avoid any risks of shock. I wouldn't be exactly comfortable rooting around in a sea of electronics, all the time knowing that the whole thing was still plugged in. Does the PSU pose any threat, or is that something that is just told to ignorant Dell owners (like myself, I'm afraid :P)?
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

ATX PSUs will still be running the 5v standby power when plugged in. If I really need it off I just flip the switch on the back of the PSU, problem solved. But for stuff like installing a PCI card or installing some more memory in the system, I don't even bother, just turn the PC off and plug the stuff in, ignore standby power.

The PSU doesn't pose any threat unless you stick a screw driver into the vents or something. But doing so even if the system is unplugged still wouldn't be a good idea, the capacitors hold quite a charge.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

I always unplug the PSU and then hit the power button a couple of times to make sure the capacitors are all discharged.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

DCrazy wrote:I always unplug the PSU and then hit the power button a couple of times to make sure the capacitors are all discharged.
I never count capacitors as discharged from doing something like that. Error on the side of caution.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Krom wrote:
DCrazy wrote:I always unplug the PSU and then hit the power button a couple of times to make sure the capacitors are all discharged.
I never count capacitors as discharged from doing something like that. Error on the side of caution.
x2