D2X-W32 and Kali

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Emerald Hawk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D2X-W32 and Kali

Post by Emerald Hawk »

Hi everyone,

Before I begin, yes I did read the Kali sticky, but am still having issues.

I just downloaded and registered Kali but am lost on how to find/setup games. I have all the router issues worked out (2213 has been forwarded and I no longer get the "firewall" message at Kali Startup.

How do I setup a game using Kali and D2X-W32? How does one join a game? Am I supposed to be able to double-click on a game in Kali and have D2X-W32 automatically startup and join? Do I have to load Kali, then load D2X-W32 and join from the multiplayer menu?

Edit: A specific issue was that while I was trying to figure this out myself, I saw that someone had created a game that I could see in Kali. When I tried to join it (by double clicking the game), it began to load D2X-W32 (the cmd window appeared), but then vanished without loading the game.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-E.Hawk
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

you have to do it manually.

Kali does not "support" that version of Descent. That does not mean you can't play it on Kali, but that there is no tag in the program's code to recognize that particular .exe.

On the game bar at the bottom of Kali, right-clik and choose "Add new game". Choose Descent II. When the table pops up that has all the perameters configure it accordingly with D2x-XXX.

That's the jist of it. Post back with any more questions.

***this message will self-destruct in 8 seconds... ***

;)
Emerald Hawk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Emerald Hawk »

Thanks, first problem solved :)

Now since I'm using Kali, do I have to use the IPX protocol selection in the Multiplayer menu or is there a way to use the other options? ( http://www.brockart.de/descent/d2x-manu ... ultiplayer )

Essentially, what is the most common/best way to setup a game others can/want to play in? I assumed that Kali was a central and popular place to do this, but I could be wrong (I did see lots of D3 games).

-E.Hawk
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Kali is a central place, yes, but it's not as popular as it used to be. You have to be on at prime time, more or less, and ask around.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

goto kali server #188 Descent usally there are D2 games there nightly

In KALI when on a game server, click on your menu bar and select VIEW and check GAME BAR and it will appear at the bottom

Right click anywhere on the Game Bar and select Add New Game (Ins) then at top of the new window click Add Custom Game.. Give it a Name to show, then on File Name use the browse button and point it to your D2x-w32.exe on your hard drive. Then add to the Cmd Line Args section add the following
-fullscreen -grabmouse -sound22k -gl_trilinear -gl_alttexmerge -playermessages -noredundancy -gl_reticle 0 -packets 7 -nomovies

everything else should stay as the default, you may change the icon if you wish just point it to d2x-w32.exe

now you can launch the game from the bar, also to see if gaves are being played..

on the left hand side (if you are using KALI II) open up the resource bar. Halfway down is a tree for game lobbies, right click add the regular Descent2 lobby ... DONE or in chat just type /games and you can see if others are playing
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

d2x.ini does the command-line stuff just as well...
Emerald Hawk
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Emerald Hawk »

Thanks very much BUBBALOU, Sirius, and Duper! I got it working last night and was able to join a game already in progress (Spud's Game). Played against some pretty good players (The one I remember the most - because he was amazing with the Gauss cannon - was named "Toe")

Thanks again,
-E.Hawk
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I was there too, you mothed so well to my purple love Image
spud
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by spud »

Right on Emerald, glad to see you got D2x-w32 and Kali working. Because there are so few playes on Kali these days who actually *play* D1 or D2 it usually necessary to chat up a game ahead of time. Here is a list of pilot nicknames on Kali who like to play D2:

{DWL}Vinyl <-- Toe, the gauss whore.
joker
spud
RUL
BUBBALOU
MD-1224
{pot}Jugger
Mon$ter
Wareagle
Theftbot
Makaveli

Hope this list helps. I'm sure I've forgotten somebody, but an amazing amount of people who hang out on the ->Descent<- server don't actually play, they just talk.

spud
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Almost all of those guys are nearly painfully good at the game.

But hey, if you like a challenge...
fhqwgads
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

hrrrrrrrrmmmm

Post by fhqwgads »

i cant get d2x-w32 to work at all.
is it only compatible with windows xp?
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Enzo, I direct you to the D2x-w32 problems thread in Old School. I suggest you read that thread. If that thread, and Diedel's FAQ doesn't answer your question, then post in that thread.
pipsqueak10
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak10 »

Mr_Pip hangs out there too except he's not an iota as good as some of those D2 animals that hang out there!