Time for D1X-W32?

A forum just for you old time Descent and Descent2 players.
Trackball
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Time for D1X-W32?

Post by Trackball »

D2X-W32 is probably the greatest thing that has happened to classic descenting. Why not extend its massive improvements to the barely functional Descent 1? The bugged homers and unresponsive sensitivity really hinder the game.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I've asked repeatedly, but Diedel won't touch it. Looks like the only way I can play D1 is to put together a legacy box given the opengl builds of D1x are GARBAGE. I've seen installs of win95 orig that were more stable.
TechPro
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by TechPro »

Over on PD there is a person working on texture re-works for Descent 1... (look here) and they've also come up with a way to run Descent 1 using D2X-W32. (simply copy everything in your Descent 1 folder to your Descent 2 folder and don't overwrite anything).

The textures don't always work... but most everything does and you can play the levels. 8)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

D1x-1.43 ogl works great for me. :) Like flyin D2 with the Voodoo patch
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

MD-2389 wrote:I've asked repeatedly, but Diedel won't touch it. Looks like the only way I can play D1 is to put together a legacy box given the opengl builds of D1x are GARBAGE. I've seen installs of win95 orig that were more stable.
I've asked him before as well and this is what he said to me:
Diedel wrote:If I can get my hands on a working D1X project for Microsoft Visual C++, I might eventually look into it in the future.
so there ya go. Anybody know where to find one?? :?
Trackball
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Trackball »

TechPro wrote:Over on PD there is a person working on texture re-works for Descent 1... (look here) and they've also come up with a way to run Descent 1 using D2X-W32. (simply copy everything in your Descent 1 folder to your Descent 2 folder and don't overwrite anything).

The textures don't always work... but most everything does and you can play the levels. 8)
It still has the D2 balancing though.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Wouldn't bank on the VC++ part. The guys behind D1x weren't terribly big on anything Microsoft, from what I recall. The chances of anyone else bothering to adapt it to work with MSVC++ are ... pretty slim, as well... it wasn't the nicest code to work with - the one other guy I know of that developed Descent 1 did it from the start himself because he couldn't stand the programming style etc.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Hey ppl,

you cannot really measure how much work it was to dig into D2X and make the D2X-W32 of today out of it.

The thought of having to do the same with D1X makes my stomach revolt.

Then, I have put so many good features into D2X-W32 I do not see anybody using - and I am not going to see the same happen with a D1X-W32.

Making D2X-W32 was fun, and I have learnt enough about it to be able to fix almost everything in it in a decent amount of time.

Making D1X-W32 would be painful work. No thanks, sorry ppl.

Btw, after having moved to my new home last Saturday, I am finally getting my apartment door today ... thanks to the fine (cough) door company first being late on delivering the doors, and then not packing vital parts or the wrong parts with them ... I only hope they did it right this time. :roll:
fliptw
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by fliptw »

the best course of action would be to start with the raw D1 source code.
Trackball
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Trackball »

Are we going to abandon the game that started it all?
D3Hack
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by D3Hack »

I, too, would really like to see a D1X-W32, even if I have to code it myself (once I learn C++, that is. :P ).
D2X-W32 is nearly perfect as far as I'm concerned, and I would love to see the same done to D1. :)
Edward
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Edward »

Why cant we just convert all the lvls?
Trackball
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Trackball »

Edward wrote:Why cant we just convert all the lvls?
The appeal of D1 is in its balancing. D2 nerfed too many of the classic weapons such as fusion and spreadfire. As a result, the multiplayer was not nearly as solid.
novacron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by novacron »

TechPro wrote:Over on PD there is a person working on texture re-works for Descent 1... (look here) and they've also come up with a way to run Descent 1 using D2X-W32. (simply copy everything in your Descent 1 folder to your Descent 2 folder and don't overwrite anything).

I am now working on textures for D2, which I will release once I have finished them all. I don't know when I will be done.

And yes, I would love to see the original re-done as well.
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

fliptw wrote:the best course of action would be to start with the raw D1 source code.
concur
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I should note that Descent 1 was programmed in a mix of C and assembly - not C++. Syntax is the same but C++ has a lot of extra stuff C doesn't use.

It's also a hell of a lot of work, don't get me wrong - the source code is anything but pretty and is really quite big. If anyone has the drive to get it done, more power to them - but it greatly depends how much time you have to spend on it. Can't say I haven't considered the idea of developing a dual-mode executable that actually works properly, but there are other things I have to get done first.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

They're a little far behind. ;)

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7212
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Trackball wrote:
Edward wrote:Why cant we just convert all the lvls?
The appeal of D1 is in its balancing. D2 nerfed too many of the classic weapons such as fusion and spreadfire. As a result, the multiplayer was not nearly as solid.
If someone gives me the exact damage and fire ratio values of D1, I will put them into D2X as an option - no problem. D2X-W32 could have a "D1 balance" switch disabling all non-D1 weapons and having the remaining ones acting just like the D1 equivalents.
Edward
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Edward »

Youd need to disable robots as well. And change the D1 robos AI damage max speed fire power fire rate and such. Id like it tho.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

I can change every robot feature except AI stuff.
Trackball
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Trackball »

Diedel wrote:If someone gives me the exact damage and fire ratio values of D1, I will put them into D2X as an option - no problem. D2X-W32 could have a "D1 balance" switch disabling all non-D1 weapons and having the remaining ones acting just like the D1 equivalents.
That would pwn. :D
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

If memory serves all the weapon information is stored in descent.pig?
Pumo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Pumo »

I think that D2X-W32 is enough, and if Diedel adds an option to balance weapons and robots like D1, no D1X will be necesary.

And also if everything goes well and D2X will use Novacron's textures, i'm planing to make a remastering of the main Descent 1 mission with colored lights and all that good stuff from D2X.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Pumo, you would be suprised how many people still play D1 on kali. :)
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Rejoice, D1 lovers! :D

D2X-W32 v1.4.57 and above supports the D1 weapon balance by reading the proper data from the original D1 data files if present.
Trackball
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Trackball »

Excellent! :D
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Now if only you'll fix the deadzone slider, or offer a command line option, it'll be even better! ;)
Garak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Garak »

that is so sexy...
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

MD-2389 wrote:Now if only you'll fix the deadzone slider, or offer a command line option, it'll be even better! ;)
You should read the D2X-W32 update notes once in a while ...
lars
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Cool

Post by lars »

Cool
But I find it very hard to kill the robots in the D1 single player. Also they dont do a lot of dammage to me.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Diedel wrote:
MD-2389 wrote:Now if only you'll fix the deadzone slider, or offer a command line option, it'll be even better! ;)
You should read the D2X-W32 update notes once in a while ...
Yeah, I saw that browsing the board while I wasn't logged in last night. ;)
novacron
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by novacron »

Now all we need are the proper textures in it as well :P hehe

You the man once again diedel
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Re: Cool

Post by Diedel »

lars wrote:Cool
But I find it very hard to kill the robots in the D1 single player. Also they dont do a lot of dammage to me.
The reason for this is that you haven't copied the Descent 1 data files to your Descent 2 folder. This will cause weapons to do no damage at all in Descent 1 levels played with D2X-W32 v1.4.57. I have fixed this so that D2X-W32 v1.4.58 and above will use the D2 damage values in such levels if no D1 data is present, but you will need to copy the D1 data to your D2 folder to have the D1 weapon balance in D1 levels with D2X-W32.
lars
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Thank you

Post by lars »

Thank you, but what D1 data, all of them. I put in the HOG file, what is missing?
lars
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by lars »

Ok, I forgot the PIG-file.
Pretty cool. How i just love D1!

You know, the AI has changed, I think it is for the better.