Last book you read??

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Last book you read??

Post by Flabby Chick »

Yeaa i know, but it's been a while.

I just finished reading Terry Waite's autobiography (you youngsters can go look him up) And i think i had one of those life changing fings whilst reading it. It totally humbled me, brought into perspective whats important...or rather what should be important.

Somthing happened to me this last couple of years, i'm starting to chain-read......age??

Anyway, my last book was "Taken in Trust" by Terry Waite.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

This Rough Magic By Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint & Dave Freer

It's part 2 of a duology (so far anyhow), and is set in a past Venice, where magic worked.

Highly Recommended!
Battlebot
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Battlebot »

the alchemist in spanish
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Oh man, The Alchemist... such a good book. I read it in English, but it was just as great.

I'm in the process of tredging through Galileo's Daughter for college. It's God-awful.
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

almost finished Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. I'm going to buy Digital Fortress.. I may as well read all of his books ;)

Once i finish the DVC I'#ll go back and finish Beyond the Bass Clef, by Tony Levin. :)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Just finished re-reading The Phantom Tollbooth, a classic children's book. It's a fun read. :) I'm now starting on Elantris by Brandon Sanderson; it's a stand-alone fantasy that looks really good.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

HaAGen DaZS wrote:almost finished Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. I'm going to buy Digital Fortress.. I may as well read all of his books ;)

Once i finish the DVC I'#ll go back and finish Beyond the Bass Clef, by Tony Levin. :)
I read all of his books. You won't be sorry you bought them all nnd Digital Fortress is great.

If you haven't finished DVC yet, and really enjoyed it, do what I did. Don't read the last chapter. Reread it from the beginning again then complete it. You will be surprised what you missed in the first read.

Bettina

Bettina
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

I just finished Battletech: Twilight of the Clans III a long time ago
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

Bet51987 wrote:
HaAGen DaZS wrote:almost finished Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown. I'm going to buy Digital Fortress.. I may as well read all of his books ;)

I read all of his books. You won't be sorry you bought them all nnd Digital Fortress is great.

If you haven't finished DVC yet, and really enjoyed it, do what I did. Don't read the last chapter. Reread it from the beginning again then complete it. You will be surprised what you missed in the first read.

Bettina

Bettina
I lvoe Dan Brown. I know he's not an exceptional writer - all his books do follow a particuler style, but I really enjoy them. I don't think I could go back to the beginning before the last chapter... I find it hard enough to put down in the middle of the night!
snoopy
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by snoopy »

I'm in the middle of "Blue Gold" by Clive Cussler. It's a good book. Before that I read "The Dragon Sorcerer" by John Gregory Betancourt... and I'm surprised it made it into print. (and that the library actually bought the book.)
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

I enjoyed the davinci code, but the hype surrounding it made me VERY disparaging. Suffice to say I think that it was overreaction to the extreme.

I just finished a Clash of Kings (George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series... so shoot me I love high fantasy). I am going to reread the Wheel of Time books before book 11 comes out now. That's like, late october, so I have some serious reading to do.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

"Something Rotten" by Jasper Fforde - the 3rd in the "Thursday Next" series.

"Crimes against Logic" by Jamie Whyte.

One excellent, inventive fiction, the other a short but fascinating, very readable, and eye-opening introduction to logical analysis, allowing you to discern the truth when bombarded by the BS politicians, religious leaders and other "serial offenders" throw at us constantly.
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Seabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

I'm reading Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six for the first time. Good read so far.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

Kiln People by David Brin -- excellent SF read.
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

Goodnite Moon...everynite to my 11 month old twins :)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i've only a few pages left of Secrets of a Telephone Psychic.
recently started The Cultural Creatives.

as for fiction:
am about 1/4 into Green Mars.
On thursday, along with the 2 first books i mentioned, i also bought HITCHHIKERS GUIDE TO THE GALAXY, figure i'd better read it eventually or i might loose my "geek" image. it's a surprisingly small book, only around 180 pages - is that right?
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

Mrphmm.. Harry Potter.
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

Phoenix Red wrote:I am going to reread the Wheel of Time books before book 11 comes out now. That's like, late october, so I have some serious reading to do.
Wheel of time book 6 doing that exact same thing.
Defender
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Defender »

Jon the Great wrote:Mrphmm.. Harry Potter.
x2 HBP was my last read too.
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Engineer to Win: Racing Car Materials Technology by Carroll Smith. Excellent read for anyone with a serious interest in racing and the engineering that goes into all aspects of keeping a car on the track.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

Do books on tape count?
suicide eddie
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by suicide eddie »

"the stainless steel rat saves the world" :)
Flatlander
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flatlander »

Nonfiction:

"The Great Raid on Cabanatuan : Rescuing the Doomed Ghosts of Bataan and Corregidor" by William B. Breuer.

"Street withouth Joy" and "Hell in a Very Small Place" by Bernard B. Fall.

Fiction:

"Beyond Infinity" by Gregory Benford.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

Harry Potter HBP.

I've started both the Hitchhikers Guide and the Da Vinci Code, but since I didn't own those books I haven't been able to finish them yet.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I LOVE the Stainless Steel Rat series.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

punisher wrote:I'm reading Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six for the first time. Good read so far.
No kidding? Me too.

The last book I FINISHED was Labor's Untold Story by Richard O. Boyer and Herbert M. Morals. The authors grossly overstated the facts in quite a few places, which brings me to my next school assignment... a response paper. Blech.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

Don't remember what I last read but currently reading Shadowmarch by Tad Williams.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

I'm just now starting Wheel of Time. I'm a little over halfway trhough the first book, Eye of the World. For some reason I never read this series.

Phoenix Red, if you just finished Clash of Kings, wait till you read Storm of Swords (GRRM's 3rd book)! Man, that has to be my favorite book ever.
Sapphire Wolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Okay, now I'm reading Battletech: Double Blind
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Darktalyn, RE: WOT Series... Ten thousand pages later, you'll still be no closer to the end of the series... For the love of God man, STOP NOW, BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!! In all seriousness, I read 300+ novels a year, and dropped this series back at book 3 or 4 due to the high filler:content ratio. YMMV. I do, after all, enjoy the Sword of Truth Series.

Currently, I'm waiting on the following books to be published...

David Weber's "At All Costs" (Honor Harrington Book 11)
GRRM's "A Feast for Crows" (Song of Ice & Fire Book 4)
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

http://www.terrybrooks.net/

My all time favorite series. The Shannara Books
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Im in the middle of Liberalism is a Mental Disorder by Michael Savage.
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

DT: did I say clash of kings? I meant storm of swords. I did thing book 2 was superior, as there are a lot of plot reset mechanisms in storm of swords. Around the fourth time Arya escaped from the latest person to capture her and set out for Riverrun I almost set the book on fire.

Bunyip you're terrible. First of all, you have to at least make it to book 6 of the WoT, generally considered one of the best. Second of all... Terry Goodkind? Over RJ? YOU ARE MAKING MY BRAIN BLEED. Sword of Truth is one of the few fantasy series I actually gave up on before the end (the last one I read Richard was in the old world and starting some sort of revolution).
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Heh. Aside from the high fluff:content ratio, not least of the many reasons I detest the WOT series is the alphabet soup names in such profusion and similarity with no rationale for same.

I quit reading the series in 1994, and good riddance! When I can grab the whole series at a used book shop cheap, I'll probably take another crack at it... but not until then.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

Phoenix, I do agree with you about Arya's story arc giving the feel of running around in a circle. But you have to admit, by the end of book3, it sounded like her POV was about to get very interesting :)

What can I say about WOT? I've heard people tell me over and over the books get worse, but I've also heard people say that the first 6 are pretty good. I've found Eye of the World to be enjoyable if a bit stereotypical... I'll probably go through book 6 and decide at that point if I want to continue.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I've read the first two books and have the next two sitting around somewhere; they were somewhat long-winded in my opinion, and from where I'm at in the series, I can't even fathom how it can reach 11 or 12 books. I've accused it in the past of being too derivative of Tolkien, but then again, just about every epic fantasy ever written has taken either inspiration or material from him, either as a tribute or as downright ripping, so I really can't complain. If nothing else, I'll just keep reading to find out what happens.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

heh... Long winded? Robert Jordan?

Somehow a 250-300 page novel manages to sprawl over 800+ pages, and Jordan doesn't really have enough to say to make it interesting to me in those additional 500 pages.

Personal preference plays a large part, as I've admitted before. I much prefer the tightly woven lyricism of Zelazny's Lord of Light, where every sentence resonates with evocation, to the rambling sprawl of certain writers.
ccb056
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by ccb056 »

best book ever -> Catch-22
Nitrofox125
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Nitrofox125 »

The Bourne Ultimatum, by Robert Ludlum, though I didn't finish it. It was the same stuff over and over again, a story that should have ended on page 150 (or book 2), but apparently Ludlum felt the need to keep going and going and going.

So I'm looking to now read Airframe, by Michael Crichton, as I hear it's good.

The last book I finished was The Teeth of the Tiger by Tom Clancy, which was very good, though if you can only read one Clancy book, make it The Bear and the Dragon.