Shining Moments in Descent

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Shining Moments in Descent

Post by Neo »

Hiya! ^_^ It's time for me to make a post in the legacy of my old posts about Descent (and probably my last =P). ^_^ Okay, so here goes. ^_^

What would each of you say your "shining moment" was in your career as a material defender? You know, the moment when you were playing that made you feel like a star. Or what was the highlight of your Descent career? Single-player counts too!

For me, at least, there were a lot of good times, so it's hard to pick one. But maybe it's in Descent 3 after I finally learned the game and almost never missed with the Mass Driver when I played Veins. Or maybe it's when I got promoted to Lieutenant.

heh...The only reason I played D3 was to be good at it. And I've already proven to myself that it's possible. I think that's what I got out of D3, besides aiming skillz. :P
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

2v2 tourney @ Chifest.
TheCope
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheCope »

Bill the Cat 6am mornings with Gonzo. Obscene audio taunt Burning Indika with Scrode "Oh Yea, yea". Free sample of Turkish hash delivered to me from someone I've never met in person... now that's an accomplishment.

;-0
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

I play just to have fun. I don't think any one moment in the game really stands out for me. What really does stand out for me though is getting together with everyone at the various LANs and kick'n it there. Lots of fun!
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

Going 20 and 0 four times in a row with Team [8] in CTF D3TL matches.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

I killed three people at one time, once.

By EXPLODING :D
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

I killed Crown once and he whined like a stuck pig!
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Reaching DEMI in D2 3 times.
Having massive D3 lan fest. Try playing 12 people in Hoard Kegparty. It was nuts.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

The time when Vinny said: "I hate you bun-bun" on teamspeak.
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

my first #1 on the old IDL LT was pretty sweet, thats when i started to realize i was pretty good at this game.

my first #1 on the UT though was the sweetest. only thing i wanted to accomplish in my gaming career, and i finally did it.

man, those were the days. back when gaming was still nerdy and none of my friends knew i had a computer :P
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

WarAdvocat wrote:The time when Vinny said: "I hate you bun-bun" on teamspeak.
Ahaha! Which time?
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

The first
Zero!
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Zero! »

making top 8 in ggl playoffs on 56k :)
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

When I spanked Killgoods ass... repeatedly. It wasn't that it was a major accomplishment, I just really loved watching him lose to a NuB :lol:
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

WarAdvocat wrote:The first
Man, bun. those were good times on the servebeer TS. laughed so hard every night my stomach muscles hurt the next morning. Wish we could get that going again.
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

Meeting all my Descent Brothers in Vegas before you noobz arrived!@!!@!!@!#!$#@%^!%

LANZ pwnz joo!!.. havn't been... definately missing out

Hey WarA. where are those panty pics?
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

BUBBALOU wrote:Hey WarA. where are those panty pics?
Who's panty pics? War? Sounds scarry.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Heh. Bubba is fantasizing again...I think.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

Liquid Fire wrote:I killed three people at one time, once.

By EXPLODING :D
I got a quad kill in Indika earlier this week. ^_^ I finally got a flare kill a couple years ago...that was pretty cool. ^_^
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

*Being #1 on the GGL D3 1v1 ladder for a bit.
*Going almost 60% against ROX in a D3TL TA in BI3
*Beating Monkey and Jazzy Jet 1v1 multiple times each right before I retired
*Getting my first promotion to ensign by killing Sergeant Thorne

...Ok, enough self-pimping for the day.
Gooberman
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Gooberman »

-Beating rox in game 5 or 6 of the tourney, Halcyon CTF, without bah or Krom.

-An SW game way long ago, entropy Steal Vapor, We took a base during the 5sec endgame countdown for the win.

-Team Hoard, Margarita Lans. I really miss those.

-Having all of D3k join {RoX}Hostile in Bi3, all of us wearing the tag, "{RoX}Hostile".
SilverFJ
DBB Cowboy

Post by SilverFJ »

All the times with my brothers in The Dark Mavericks Collegiate, under the authority of Zonerie.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I don't think I've ever been good enough to have a shining moment. :P The rare times that I've had a game with an efficiency over 50%, or when I've been able to nail several people in a row with the MD or Fusion, are pretty much what I live for. Making a long, hard flag run through VV and just managing to score at the last second before being killed definitely ranks up there as well. :)

On the other hand, I once killed myself two consecutive times in VV by firing a frag out of the flag room right after I had grabbed it. Guess you could count that as something special. :P
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

-Having all of D3k join {RoX}Hostile in Bi3, all of us wearing the tag, "{RoX}Hostile".
That game was a riot. I was one of the Hostile's myself. What was funnier was that the real mccoy was playing in that same game, but no one could tell who was who, heh.
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

Playing an anarchy game with BigFlopyDonkeyDick where we called ourselves Left Nut and Right Nut. Two tanks in a small level, don't recall the name of it, just slaghtering everyone else. I racked up 50 kills in just under 7 minutes. Too much fun.
TigerRaptor
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by TigerRaptor »

Every one playing as {RoX}Hostile, I would have paid to see that in action. Any pictures taken during the game play.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I think the best is still the D3 CTF comeback from hell; game to 10 points, my team was down 3 to 9, and then we scored every single flag in a row from then on and won it anyway. Understandably some of the other team was rather annoyed after the event, but it was pretty darn cool to pull that off.

(Note this was a 3 on 3 in Halcyon, and nobody joined or left during the game; it wasn't as simple as having two guys disconnect on the other team and the last one unable to do anything.)

Apart from that, there hasn't been anything that I thought 'dude, this is truly remarkable' about. (I did think that when I saw my brother playing in Keg Party a few years back, running an 80% efficiency, and literally dodging plasma backwards while shooting someone else ahead of him. It got really freaky at points - NOTHING would hit him.)

But there have been many moments that made me appreciate how much effort I've put into this game; Ranger games where I went on a complete rampage, D2 Revival games where I was far and away the most dominant player there (leading by a margin of often half my kills and running 70% efficiencies regularly) - nonetheless there are still a lot of players who can do that more easily than I, and such a moment would only really come if I somehow beat one of the greats in a 1 on 1 match I believe. Hasn't happened yet.
Coolcat
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Coolcat »

mmm impossible to list them all. :P

1v1 loss: vs birdseye 1v1 califest 2001
1v1 win/loss: any game vs Barry

2v2 win: califest 2001 Rock and myself Vs. Nirvseye

Fav D3k Win: Entropy Vs. RoX in VV. we played flawlessly.
or just about about D3k game <3

Just for Samus:

Code: Select all

Game: Samus Vs Bah's Game

Level: 1

[Rank] [Name]                      [Score]     [Kills]     [Deaths]   [Suicides] [Time In Game]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1)     Bah^2                        20[20]      21[21]      0[0]       1[1]       10:06 minutes 
2)     [HK]Samus                    0[0]        0[0]        21[21]     0[0]       10:59 minutes 
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Neo »

heh! I remember that game. :P

We played Indika 4 or one of the ones with no doors.

That was when I was a n00b. :P But now I will blast you. :P ^_~ Not that I'm all that, I'm just saying I'm a lot better than I was back then. :P Not at 100% though. :P I can't believe you still have that. =P I reformatted several times since then. :) I didn't make backups. :)

I just remembered a good one. ^_^

I remember beating Descent Mercenaries in a Team Hoard game. I could get about two hoard orbs before dying. heh...I scored even when I died...because my ship rolled upward into the goal area before the hoard orbs were ejected from my ship :P (okay, we took control of the goal area. :P)
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Probably my first game, because it was the beginning. It led to so many good memories that the best one had to be the first. It was my first online multi of ANY game.

It was about 4-5? years ago. I had gotten into some monsterball game and kept getting killed, and I was totally amazed I was playing other people. I remember it like it was yesterday.

I know most of you guys didn't start multi with D3, but anyone remember their first multi/D3 multi game?

EDIT: I remember Hostile. At the time I thought he was one of the best. Is he still around?
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

By the way, excellent post.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

From memory my first multiplayer game was co-operative in Descent 2 level 4. I recall team-killing someone, too... O.o I think it was a collision kill, but at 600-odd ms, it's hard to be sure.
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

Money! wrote:By the way, excellent post.
x2

I guess my shining moment (so far :wink: ) is my first 100K game in Wolfs Den...I placed like 7th or so...ho hum.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

i dont really have any that i know of, except for the time when i could go in hyperspace 5v1 against me and win the game 20-0 flags and almost 0 deaths, ive made 100 kills in a row there :)
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

simply awesome :)
Foil
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Foil »

My favorite memory is from back in college during the very early days of Descent 1, wailing on all my friends in what seemed like a huge 4v4 game in one of the Minerva variations. :)

I haven't been back in the game very long, so I don't have many truly shining moments...

The only one I can think of was maybe a 6v6 Veins CTF game a few months back when I was first getting into D3 multiplayer - I was playing with all the "usual suspects" who were tearing me to pieces. I switched ships, came back in, and ended up dominating the flag-scoring, at one point scoring three or four flags in a row while barely getting touched, and taking out at least eight or ten opponents. I know that may not be much to some of you, but at the time it was a huge confidence boost for me. :P
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

well.......lets see

first 100+ Kills in Stadium Anarchy

first 20+ cap points in CTF Halcyon

first succesfull "Zero Points" defense........

all noob stuff to most of you, but i felt pretty good when i did that
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

Highlight was back when D3 was still big. You could start a random game as a server, the next minute a player would come in and start to play you and with 2 or 3 other folks after a few minutes passed you'd have a fun game.

Another would be around the same time, being with my old MOB buddies and having a fun time just getting together and jumping in for a game, telling jokes and taking smack to each other while playing Wicked Garden or Half Pipe or The Core.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I think my highest kill game was one stretch in skybox about 3 hours long where I racked up a little over 700 kills.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

nice job :) ive made 100 kills in 25 minutes in indika once, about my fastest i think