A sport I wouldn't mind seeing have a lockout...

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

A sport I wouldn't mind seeing have a lockout...

Post by SirWinner »

... Professional Soccer!

Much too boring game for me to watch for very long.

If they want to improve the game they should add a few minor changes:

- Once a team gets the ball past the mid-field line, they cannot kick the ball back across the mid-line. (See Basketball Rules.)

- Add a 90 second shot clock. This could make the game more lot more exciting.

- No more "offsides" calls. Have seen too many defenders purposely run forward so that an opposing offensive player is called for offsides when receiving a pass.

- Add an OFFICIAL Timer to keep track of actual time played. Stop the time clock when play is stopped. This would get rid of the approximately 4 minutes of "stoppage" play that happens in MOST soccer games.

On second thought, I'll just change the channel when Soccer comes on.

Hehehe!

:P
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

An American giving opinions on Football. Surreal.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i think i'm onto the proper way to watch soccer. you need to scream at teh TV. SCREASM! likek ARGASHRQWG$!@G#!@#H@!

he's getitng eth soccer ball up there, omg it's gGETTING SLCOSE OIMGOMGOMGOMG ARGAHRGA GET IT TITITIT IGET IT!@!@!@! ASREAWRQW4@#$!@#$!@#

damn fun, i chalange anyone to say otherwise.
if you arn't having fun you arn't drinking enough.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Flabby Chick wrote:An American giving opinions on Football. Surreal.
As in the old Virgina Slims commercial:
We've come a long way...BABY!
TheCope
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheCope »

Soccer is my favorite sport. But I have to watch Univision to get any good soccer with regularity... and I don't speak Spanish.

But yea, Americans hate soccer and I don't know why.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

My son has played for 4 years now. It's the only sport we really ever watch at home. Great sport.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Spectator sports bore me... Anything that makes the game:

A) More accessible to people not familiar with the rules
B) Faster paced
C) More interesting

is a big PLUS.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Re: A sport I wouldn't mind seeing have a lockout...

Post by Flabby Chick »

I guess you missed the Milan v Liverpool champions league final then. :)

- Once a team gets the ball past the mid-field line, they cannot kick the ball back across the mid-line. (See Basketball Rules.)
Not passing back to the keeper was a sensible change; it stopped the italians time wasting, but thats as far as it should go. The opposing side has to get the ball off the team in possesion, simple as that. You can't equate basketball and football,

When you have a shag do you jump on and go hell for leather....no you don't. You build it up, use different tactics. The development of the game is as interesting to watch as is the ball crossing the line.

- No more "offsides" calls. Have seen too many defenders purposely run forward so that an opposing offensive player is called for offsides when receiving a pass.
Stupid, stupid, stupid idea. Do you understand the offside rule and why it's in place? A review of how technology can help the referees decision "real-time" with the offside law is somthing i do agree with however.

- Add an OFFICIAL Timer to keep track of actual time played. Stop the time clock when play is stopped. This would get rid of the approximately 4 minutes of "stoppage" play that happens in MOST soccer games.
There is an official timer allready.

Or maybe watch some decent Football instead?
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Randomly placed landmines.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

This strikes me as more of a cafe topic.

It seems odd to say that soccer needs more excitment when golf is such a popular sport.
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

I have 250+ channels available to me to watch. However, all that really gets watched is The WB by my wife, PBS by my kids, and FSC (Fox Soccer Channel) by myself.

Also, I think soccer is a great deal more fun to watch when you yourself are a player or have been. Then you can be like, "I wouldn't have missed that shot" :)
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

What we need is more female beach volleyball.
Hahnenkam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hahnenkam »

TheCope wrote:Americans hate soccer and I don't know why.
prevalence of very short attention spans

Honestly, I really don't like to watch soccer . . . or any sport for that matter. I'd rather play than watch. Although it was fun watching the Boston Celtics back in the 80's.
DarkShadow
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkShadow »

Richard Cranium wrote:What we need is more female beach volleyball.
Ya.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Testiculese wrote:Randomly placed landmines.
LOL Classic Testi.
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Hahnenkam wrote:
TheCope wrote:Americans hate soccer and I don't know why.
prevalence of very short attention spans
I'll call bull on this one. In fact, I'll go so far to say that baseball and American football require a much longer attention span than soccer, due to the lack of constant action. I know that, when I've watched soccer, it hasn't been my attention span that's been the problem, it's the fact that the field just seems to be far too big. I'm especially irritated by the fact that, at least in the games I've seen, players seem to pass backwards more than they do forwards. This happens sometimes in ice hockey, but I love watching that sport, due to the fact that the playing surface is small and allows a goal to develop from anywhere on the ice. It seems like, in soccer, you have to be practically on top of the other goal to get something going, and since the goals are so far apart, the game becomes needlessly repetitive. And I've yet to hear any soccer fan explain to me why in the world "stoppage time" was invented. Why not just do what every other timed sport does and stop the clock if the ball goes out of bounds, someone is hurt, or a penalty is called? Why have some weird system of adding time after a half is already over? :P

On a slightly related note, I also can't understand why so many soccer fans I've talked to see American football and baseball as so boring. I'll freely admit that, particularly in baseball, there are many breaks in the action. However, these usually don't interrupt the gameplay; in fact, they often add to the suspense before the next action takes place. For instance, in a football game, when the home team is trying to make an important defensive stop on third down, the home crowd starts going nuts during the time between plays. It sometimes gets so bad that the opposing team has to call a timeout and regroup, which usually just gets the crowd even more excited. :P It's times like that, when your team has to make a big play, that makes those gaps in action seem almost unbearably suspenseful. These types of situations can also happen in baseball, as when your team is trying to get through the final inning to win the game and the opposing team manages to get some baserunners on. Every pitch counts, and the time in between them seems to slow to a crawl. Even when baseball isn't like this, I still enjoy watching it. It doesn't require you to get completely emotionally worked up; you can sit back, relax, and watch the game unfold.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Top Gun wrote:On a slightly related note, I also can't understand why so many soccer fans I've talked to see American football and baseball as so boring.
I suggest it's because both games you mentioned are very poor relations to Rugby and Cricket, which are both far more absorbing to play and watch. (me Ducks :P)
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Flabby Chick wrote:
Top Gun wrote:On a slightly related note, I also can't understand why so many soccer fans I've talked to see American football and baseball as so boring.
I suggest it's because both games you mentioned are very poor relations to Rugby and Cricket, which are both far more absorbing to play and watch. (me Ducks :P)
Ah yes, Rugby...where grown men gather in a scrum and fondle one another. :P
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

woodchip wrote:
Flabby Chick wrote:
Ah yes, Rugby...where grown men gather in a scrum and fondle one another. :P
Actually women's rugby is kind of cool to watch. I've seen a couple college matches.
Hahnenkam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hahnenkam »

Top Gun wrote:I'll call bull on this one. In fact, I'll go so far to say that baseball and American football require a much longer attention span than soccer, due to the lack of constant action.
Fair enough, but only because I was generalizing.

I don't think your argument supports your position. The short bursts of action in baseball and American football are exactly what will cater to someone with a short attention span. To follow a soccer match you really need to pay attention. Otherwise you might miss the overpaid diva receive a gentle tap from an opposing player, only throw himself to the dirt and writhe in fake pain in hopes of drawing a penalty. :wink:
kurupt
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by kurupt »

i played football, basketball, soccer, baseball, and tennis in high school.

from experience, most difficult to play:
football
tennis
soccer
baseball
basketball

most fun to play:
basketball
football
soccer
tennis
baseball

most fun to watch:
football
basketball
tennis
baseball
soccer

i played soccer, had alot of fun, but i cant stand to watch it. same with baseball, although a bit less fun to play imo. cant stand to watch it either. only enjoy womens tennis too for some reason...
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Out of interest, do any of my American cousins who say they don't enjoy watching football, watch football from abroad? That is non-USA football; the English premiership, la leagua or the bundesleague?
Couver_
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Couver_ »

Flabby Chick wrote:Out of interest, do any of my American cousins who say they don't enjoy watching football, watch football from abroad? That is non-USA football; the English premiership, la leagua or the bundesleague?

I watch football american style and if there is a good English premiership game on I will watch that. Thats during the week when I think its replays on FSN

Nascar>Hockey>College Football>--- the rest
Hahnenkam
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Hahnenkam »

Flabby Chick wrote:Out of interest, do any of my American cousins who say they don't enjoy watching football, watch football from abroad? That is non-USA football; the English premiership, la leagua or the bundesleague?
Prior to graduate school and having a child, yes; now I don't have the time for it . . . or anything for that matter. I lived in Boston for a few years and most matches were televised at various pubs in the area. It was great watching the international matches, especially when the Brazilians were playing. Those fans are fricking nuts :lol:
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

While I don't fully uunderstand all of the games nuances, I enjoy watching soccer. It's like a athletic chess match. I like that.

Hockey on the other hand, just needs to go away.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

SirWinner wrote:... Professional Soccer!

If they want to improve the game they should add a few minor changes:

Hehehe!

Alright, all I did was read this f*cking post and I feel like strangling (spelled correctly Mobius?) you.
I couldn't even read another post before making my own.

You start to talk and laugh at a sport you know nothing about. You have no idea about anything to do with soccer. Personally, I'm American, grew up in Oakland, California, and play soccer. Soccer is more fun to watch on TV for me than baseball AND basketball. I love watching it on TV. For people who have no idea what is going on, I could see it being boring. But you can't see the strategies, the teamwork, and the organization going into these teams. You cannot make generalizations about sports you know nothing about.

And your rules? LO-★■◆●ing-L Are you sure you haven't watched more than one game? Do you know how it is played?

Can't send ball back across line--
This cuts the field size in half. You don't know it, but the whole point of soccer is spreading out and using space. This would be like the NBA playing halfcourt... And you can't compare basketball to soccer, they are nothing alike.

90 second shot clock--
This contradicts the whole point of soccer. If you want a 90 second shot clock, go watch 12 year olds. All they do is shoot, shoot, shoot. On offense, you need to take your time, pass it around, and wait for an opening as you break down the defense with constant movement of the ball.

Offsides--
You say defense purposely moves up so offsides is called. Thats the point. Offsides helps everyone, including the defense, participate in the game, because they don't have to stay back for cherry-pickers and instead go up and help on offense (unlike basketball, if I break my own rules and make the comparison).

Timer--
Who cares about the time it takes? Apparently, you don't even want to watch it, so why do you care if don't stop the clock? And the games are over an hour... what is 4 minutes?

It's people like you who give America its bad reputation, with their stupid, unknowledgeable comments that they haven't really thought about. There is a reason soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

Wow, my first rant on the DBB. Felt good. Sorry if anyone else was offended.
TheCope
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by TheCope »

Money! wrote:There is a reason soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

Heh.
I'm starting to like you.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

TheCope wrote:
Money! wrote:There is a reason soccer is the most popular sport in the world.

Heh.
I'm starting to like you.
Be careful Money...be very very careful. :wink:
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Ahhh wadda ya warn him for, i like bloodsports.
Couver_
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Couver_ »

BTW you know the egg carriers know more about the sport?

Clicky
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Haha I can take an arguement. Ask Punisher, first time we met we had a go at it :P I think I pissed him off though. All I know though is that I only argue about ★■◆● I know about, and I do it well when needed... and anyone who knows soccer knows this guy doesn't really know what he is talking about.
SirWinner
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by SirWinner »

Whoa a lot of posts... hehehe!

My main problem with Soccer (Football as most of the people on earth call it) is watching 2 teams play with little to no offense when they have control of the ball. (...even with a tie score late in the game in a MUST win scenario for one of the teams.)

I've seen many quality teams play each other where teams constantly seem to go forward past the mid-field line and back almost to their own goal with one team having control of the ball for 2 or 3 minutes with no effort to try to actually score a goal.
- This is why I don't like the going backwards past the mid-field line and why I'd like to see a shot clock.

Watching the grass grow seems more interesting than the hog the ball tactic.

Yes, I know that they are looking for a quality chance at a goal but it seems that they should at least make more shots on goal!

I've seen a lot of goals in hockey just because someone made a shot towards the goal. (Fluke bounce of the puck, Off the back of a goalie, off a defenders skate, etc.)

Guess that I need to watch sports where teams actually go on offense and try to score... like Hockey or Basketball or American Football or the like.

I've watched Australian Rules Football and Rugby... Both are a lot more fun for me to watch than Soccer.

Arena Soccer is a lot more fun to watch... smaller fields and loads of action.

DOH!

Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

I caught the Chelsea Bolton game yeaterday. First half of tactical midfield play, testing each other out, prodding for weaknesses. Bolton came off at half time one nill up and doing a great defensive job. Keeping the offensive side far away from their goal line.

As much as i hate to say it Mourinho changed his approach to his opponents defensivness, came out in the second half and ended up thrashing Bolton five--one. Fantastic game..don't tell any Chelsea fans i said that though. :wink:

That's what the game's all about. Getting the ball off the opponent and putting it in the back of the net.

Of course there can be only One football team.
Me teaching Leanna how to be a hooligan last year.

LOL yo Drak we're discussing footall in the EnC.