Doom movie

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Doom movie

Post by Vindicator »

Dont waste your money. High-budget B-movie all the way. Without the Rock it would have been resigned to live its life with the other bad movies on Sci Fi. This is coming from a big fan of mindless action flicks, mind you.

[spoiler]The Rock was badly miscast, since he had no personality and was just the typical rah rah rah gungho follow-orders-at-all-costs Marine. He can act (witness: Rundown), so their choice to restrict his character so much is baffling.

It pretty accurately captured the feel of Doom 3 though, ill give them that. Half the movie was spent creeping around dark corridors with the flashlight on, puntucated every now and then by 5 seconds of action. What Doom 3 had but the movie didnt was atmosphere. It isnt enough to make everything dark and have the characters all have their "we're hunting mutants" faces on. All in all, there just wasnt enough action to keep the movie going. They killed a total of maybe 8 mutants. Lame.

There was just so much more they could have done with the story, and quite a bit of film they could have cut out. I was pleasantly surprised by the first-person view though, they restricted it to one important part in the movie and for maybe 3 minutes, and it worked out pretty well imo.[/spoiler]

So yeah. I briefly considered walking out at one point, since there was absolutely nothing going on except creeping around in the dark pointlessly.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

Should I be glad I haven't bought any DOOM products since DooMII?
Repo Man
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Repo Man »

I'll rent it when it comes out in video.
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

I saw it in theatre.

Aliens was a far better movie than this one
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

Actually lothar, doom 3 is a good game, you should look into it.

is it true that the monsters in the doom movie are aliens and not hell-spawn as they should be?
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Theyre genetically altered humans.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

Lothar wrote:Should I be glad I haven't bought any DOOM products since DooMII?
There's a 6dof mod in the works based off Doom3. (I know, the check is in the mail. :) )

If that works out you may want to get it.
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

Man, I pretty much knew that just from looking at the movie preview
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

just watched it off the internet last nite @ a friends house....even tho' the picture quality was poor (internet d/l) the movie itself was really disappointing.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Vertigo 99 wrote:Actually lothar, doom 3 is a good game, you should look into it.
DOOM3 is not a game, it's a prolongued tech demo. Ok, if you like totally repetitive situations in totally repetitive environments with totally predictable 'surprises' (hey, some powerups - whip out gun, step on power ups, shoot spawning monsters, yawn), it may have qualified as a 'game' for you. DOOM3 lives off a decade-old game principle. I found it boring as hell (heh, pun not intended). Ok, I used a duct-tape mod because looking at a pitch-black screen where monsters would attack me w/o a real chance to fight back wasn't my concept of a 'game' either - even less of an entertaining game. What a sorry game must that be, if this was the only way of adding some challenge to it. I sold it over ebay, and the only reason to purchase it again is if the Into Cerberon mod will actually take off (currently it's a lead duck).
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Doom 3 scared the sh1t out of me the first time I played through it. The 2nd time was somewhat interesting and the 3rd ... well boring. I never could find an online server to play on where the lag was acceptable either so I just quit playing it.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I wouldn't say Cerberon is a lead duck, development isn't always publicized.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Doom 3 games blows chunks. Movie I expect to blow also.
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

The scariest game ever, well, not exactly the whole game, just this one mission. The scariest mission ever has to be the Shalebridge Cradle mission in Thief: Deadly Shadows.

If you want an awesome game, with a very good story line, and one heluva scary mission in the middle, get Thief 3.
Liquid Fire
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Liquid Fire »

Dont waste your money
Somehow I knew this would be the case before I even opened the thread.

But regarding the game: Yeah, it's somewhat scary but really is just a big tech demo. If you want a scary game, go buy a resident evil, thief 3, or even system shock 2 (which I believe is actually legal to download).
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

oh. that's great lobber, but this thread isn't about thief.

and of course doom 3 was boring if you played it with the flashlight mod; that's not how the game was meant to be played. i feel terribly sorry for anyone who ruined the game for themselves by playing it with that mod.

i only played doom3 at night with the sound way up, alone. was it a great game? no, not at all. was it a fun experience and worth it? yes.

and of COURSE you know somethings gonna leap out at you, half of the fun is knowing thats gonna happen. like, when you first get the plasma rifle and imps burst in everywhere? i thought that was fun, taking down a crapload of monsters with a really cool gun - maybe thats just me.

also, the part when you first get the chainsaw and get to slice through a horde of undead is a priceworthy moment.

as for the movie, i kind of hoped it would be similar; ie, mindless scares / action, but apparently, its not. i think ill still see it tho.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

For me, a game where I have to blindly tap around in the dark, hoping to somehow kill some monster attacking me from nowhere isn't thrilling, it's frustrating -> boring.

Operation Flashpoint was a thrilling game for me. You really had to think about what you're doing, figure a way to fulfill your mission, and that game really scared the heck out of me when I was sneaking through a forest with 3 bullets left in my gun, trying to avoid the enemy patrols, and they discovered me and tried to corner me from three sides. Run run run - dang, where's that tank coming from!

Ghost Recon was cool, too.

DOOM3? Phhhhh.
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

Watch out Diedel, Vertigo 99 doesn't like it when you talk about other games in this thread! :evil:
Phoenix Red
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Phoenix Red »

The Cradle is definitely the scariest game experience evar. I don't find "scary" games/movies frightening (or entertaining, for that matter), but the Cradle was... tense.

Doom never interested me. I tried to play the first one once, and I dragged myself through the novelization in early grade school (gag)... it didn't have it.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Lobber wrote:Watch out Diedel, Vertigo 99 doesn't like it when you talk about other games in this thread! :evil:
It's time for him to find there are other games. :lol:
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

no; ive played plenty of games. its just that this thread is about the DOOM movie, not the THIEF movie. im perfectly fine with talking about other games which is why i started a thread called "scarey games" for us to talk about those games in...
Tetrad
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tetrad »

The worst part about the Doom movie was that I became woefully sober about half an hour in.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Good or bad I think I am going to have to see this movie. It just sounds like it would be fun to watch.