'Star Trek' Actor George Takei Comes Out

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

'Star Trek' Actor George Takei Comes Out

Post by Dedman »

By Associated Press
LOS ANGELES - George Takei, who as helmsman Sulu steered the Starship Enterprise through three television seasons and six movies, has come out as a homosexual in the current issue of Frontiers, a biweekly Los Angeles magazine covering the gay and lesbian community.

Takei told The Associated Press on Thursday that his new onstage role as psychologist Martin Dysart in "Equus," helped inspire him to publicly discuss his sexuality.

Takei described the character as a "very contained but turbulently frustrated man." The play opened Wednesday at the David Henry Hwang Theater in Los Angeles, the same day that Frontiers magazine featured a story on Takei's coming out.

The current social and political climate also motivated Takei's disclosure, he said.

"The world has changed from when I was a young teen feeling ashamed for being gay," he said. "The issue of gay marriage is now a political issue. That would have been unthinkable when I was young."

The 68-year-old actor said he and his partner, Brad Altman, have been together for 18 years.
Takei, a Japanese-American who lived in a U.S. internment camp from age 4 to 8, said he grew up feeling ashamed of his ethnicity and sexuality. He likened prejudice against gays to racial segregation.

"It's against basic decency and what American values stand for," he said.

Takei joined the "Star Trek" cast in 1966 as Hikaru Sulu, a character he played for three seasons on television and in six subsequent films. He received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1986.

A community activist, Takei ran for the Los Angeles City Council in 1973. He serves on the advisory committee of the California Civil Liberties Public Education Program and is chairman of East West Players, the theater company producing "Equus."
You go Sulu.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

Old news. Already read this on Yahoo. Bit of a suprise though.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

Heard it on the Radio in work earlier.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Ok, why doesn't everyone just admit they are gay and call it a day. We are heading that way anyways.
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

I could have lived without knowing that.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Capm wrote:I could have lived without knowing that.
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Krom wrote:
Capm wrote:I could have lived without knowing that.
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

I bet he really enjoyed twisting that knob when going to warp speed ;)

(Edit: You have to know your British-isms to translate that I think)
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I don't know British-isms, but I think that one comes through loud and clear regardless. :P

My first thought when hearing about this was, "Ooooookaaaay..." My second thought was that this really explains some of the outfits that Takei has worn during public appearances. My most recent thought is that this can be directly attributed to the space-pimpage of James T. Kirk. :P
Mr. Perfect
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Mr. Perfect »

I thought knobs where the same as melons? At least I hope that's what peoople are talking about when they refer to a girl's knobs...
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

I thought the headline on fark.com was funny as heck when they submitted the article.
Set Phasers to Fabulous
Genghis
DBB Newbie
DBB Newbie

Post by Genghis »

After hearing George Takei on Howard Stern a few times, I'm not surprised by this.

So, if we all admit we're gay and get together can we cause all future generations to not exist? (ala South Park)
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

must be something in the air. a friend of mine finally came out to her parents this week too.
Jon the Great
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Jon the Great »

Heh interesting
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

Disgusting
Cuda68-2
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cuda68-2 »

Lobber wrote:Disgusting
x2
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

18 years together.........well done.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

So can we say "Sulu in a Tutu"? Beam me up Scotti.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Admiral Thrawn wrote:I thought the headline on fark.com was funny as heck when they submitted the article.
Set Phasers to Fabulous
That is funny as hell.
JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Post by JMEaT »

He didn't seem like a sausage smoker...
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

JMEaT wrote:He didn't seem like a sausage smoker...
X2. A bit of a shock for me. But I praise the work that he's done for the Sulu character and not his lifestyle so its all the same.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

The 68-year-old actor said he and his partner, Brad Altman, have been together for 18 years.
what's wrong with THAT lifestyle? any disapproval is not of his lifestyle, but of his sexuality.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

to be gay or not to be gay. that is the question. whether tis nobler in the mind to nobble some sausage and suffer the insults and name calling of others or to munch some carpet or poke some hole and by impregnating some woman create a new being to ponder this problem.

me. i don't make my sexuality the center of my being and i'd rather not know other people's sexuality unless it becomes important to me to know. i believe that the repugnance many people have against gays is derived from a 'continuation of the species' instinct that recognizes if we all become gay, that's it. no more humans with all our +/-'s. last man/woman please turn off the lights on the planet.

don't we have better things to try to fix/fight in this world? gays demand that everyone accept that their lifestyle is equivalent to heteros. it's not.
racism btw is worse as you can't hide your ethnicity/skin color.
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

jakee308 wrote:me. i don't make my sexuality the center of my being....

You be the only one on de planet sunshine.
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

Flabby Chick wrote:
jakee308 wrote:me. i don't make my sexuality the center of my being....

You be the only one on de planet sunshine.

nope :wink:
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Am I the only one that could care less? So what if he's gay. As long as he's a decent person, I couldn't give a rats ass. Life is too short for this crap. There are bigger and better things to worry about.
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

correction: i don't make my sexuality the center of my outward persona. i.e. the person i present to the world at large. of course one's sexuality is central to the sense of self. physically, emotionally and mentally we are shaped by our sex, by how we satisfy the sexual drive and by how society at large perceives what we do to satisfy this urge. society can be cruel in this way or protective. i think that how we are perceived by our society does have an impact on our self perception and those who are at the fringes or beyond are perceived as "not normal" so i can understand how this could affect gays. but to attempt to make people believe that being gay is just as socially useful as being straight is a waste of energy. society doesn't like unmarried people either. they are perceived with suspicion and concern because of the possibility of pedophilia. this scorn by society is not as strong as the scorn for gays, but it's not pleasant.
the society at large will act similar to a hive. i.e.
those who are not of the hive are a danger to the hive and need to be isolated and if necessary destroyed or driven out. look at an ant colony or a troop of baboons. strangers, even if they are of the same species, are driven away or killed more often that not.
Sting_Ray
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Sting_Ray »

So he's a pole jockey... Leave him alone. His ass probably hurts too much as it is than having to be judged. So his divining rod seeks water where only mud exists. He's still a human being.

I say fu<k it. He likes dudes, that means one more fish in the sea for us that don't bite the pillow.

Hasta-