Which Is It? (media bias)

For discussion of life's issues: current events, social trends and personal opinions.

Moderators: Tunnelcat, Jeff250

DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Which Is It? (media bias)

Post by DCrazy »

Alright, this is one of the most striking and definitive examples of liberal slanting in recent memory.

A lesbian Methodist minister in Philadelphia has been defrocked.

ABC News (owned by Disney) claims that it is because she was sexually active and thereby violated the requirement that Methodist ministers remain celibate. She can be reinstated as long as she vows to remain celibate.

The Boston Globe (owned by the New York Times) claims that it was because she was a lesbian, and she has no hope of rejoining the church. Furthermore, such action is part of a "clean sweep for conservatives" as it conincides with the reinstatement of an anti-gay minister (any possible information about which can only be found on the membership-only second page of the article -- I don't have a registration, and I'm sure 90% of the people who will read this article linked from Google News won't either).

So which is it? Is she enjoined from becoming a minister, or does the possibility remain open? Was her punishment motivated by a conservative push to oust a lesbian minister, or was it because she broke a restriction that's in place for both men and women?

How does this reflect on the parent organizations of these news sources, both of which are commonly decried as "liberally biased" by mouthpieces on the right?

I'm particularly interested in the Globe article. It seems that now that they're through beating the Catholic Church to a pulp, they're moving on to other Christian sects.
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

yeh, and they will continue to beat the moral stuffing out of America till were godless, lawless and in a complete state of anarchy with no one to turn to for comfort but our conqueror's....
man, I can't wait...<rubbing hands in anticipation>
CUDA
DBB Master
DBB Master
Location: A Conservative Man in the Liberal bastion of the Pacific Northwest. in Oregon City. Oregon

Post by CUDA »

here's how the Government Propaganda network portrayed the story
NASHVILLE, Tenn. â?? The highest court within the United Methodist Church (search) defrocked a lesbian minister Monday for violating the denomination's ban on "self-avowed, practicing homosexual" clergy.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,174020,00.html it would apear that its because she broke the churches rules

as far as her continued preaching.
Stroud will continue as a lay staff member at her congregation, preaching, supervising children's and youth work and conducting pastoral visits. She told the congregation Sunday that she and her partner are applying to be foster parents.
another article I read said she will be able to continue in all her duties as a lay pastor, but she will not be able to administer communion. looks like the Globe is a little out there then huh
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Guess what, the Globe's article just went registration-only.
Stryker
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Stryker »

http://bugmenot.com/view.php?url=http%3 ... boston.com

It seems, however, that I can access both pages of the article without any login.
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Must be some sort of random thing.
De Rigueur
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by De Rigueur »

The cause may not be bias, it could be just sloppy work on the part of jounalists. It's not unusual to read an article about a religious subject where it's pretty clear the writer doesn't know the whole story.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

yeah, if only we had a news article that included all 3 opinions. i don't see a reason why not to.