Into Cerberon: Lead Duck Rising

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

HeXetic
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Into Cerberon: Lead Duck Rising

Post by HeXetic »

For those of you who wondered where we were the last couple of weeks, the post on the (brand new) Into Cerberon website should explain it.
Welcome back to Into Cerberon. I hope the two weeks of downtime weren't too harsh. For those of you who missed it, the basic story goes like this:

1. Everything fine and dandy
2. iceheart performs mysql upgrade on doom3reference.com
3. All tables lost, including those for the IC board
4. Everything not so fine and dandy
However, everything is back to normal now, and even better, actually, since the new website is far more capable than the old.

We've centralised downloads and our image gallery over at moddb, and the forums are now hosted alongside the main website at my own domain (so hopefully no more unscheduled mysql DROP TABLEs).

And if you think we've been idle, you're wrong. Sp3ctre has released a new QuickTime VR movie of his GunBoy ship that's looking pretty sweet (see static shots of it in the gallery).

And for the non-Descenters - (you know, people OTHER than those at the DBB) - there's a new little teaser trailer out featuring video feed from D2X-W32. It's mainly to remind the more average FPS gamer what, exactly, Descent entailed. Also, it's there to show off the rather capable Descent engine, not flying skills, so I assure you I fly better normally than I do in that movie.

At this time iceheart and I are going to try to push for a reasonable beta release in the next month or two, the main stopping blocks being code (my job) and maps (his job, or we need to get some more doom 3 mappers on board).
Nexus_One
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Nexus_One »

So when can we expect to see this mod in action?

I've all but given up hope for Core Decision, so maybe this will work out better for our community?
iceheart
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by iceheart »

Early January is the release date for something that could actually be called a "playable" alpha version, the date is pretty much set in stone, and the question is how much stuff we'll actually get ready before then. It will obviously not be representative of the final product but we'd like to show that we actually are doing something, and it might be a fun, small deathmatch experience for a little while.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Thanks guys.

I need to find my log on again. :P

Oh hey.. have you guys looked at Q4 yet? Is it all on the Dm3 engine? did the make improvements?? If so, will affect this project?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

I happened to swing by your site for the first time in a long while a few days ago, and I was pleasantly surprised by all the updates. I'll have to make sure to pimp you guys in the PD news over the weekend. :)
iceheart
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by iceheart »

Regarding Q4: The differences in engine are extremely minor and some of them actually would make our job slightly harder, so a engine swap is very unlikely at this time.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I find doom 3 multiplay way too dark... Quake 4 is much better IMO, because you can SEE!

Maybe I'm doing it wrong? Or is doom 3 just rife with visibility cheats?

Hopefully the Into Cerberon multiplay will feature a better visibility... a ship glow or maybe a 'fullbright ships' commandline similar to Descent 3.
iceheart
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by iceheart »

Quake 4 is brighter because that's the way the level designers wanted it. The emphasis on IC combat will certainly be darkness and shadow play, but expect a few bright maps in the mix too.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Somewhat unrelated: Seriously, am I missing something in Doom 3?? It sure feels like I'm brightly lit and they're well nigh invisible.
iceheart
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by iceheart »

Maybe you are just standing in the light? :)

Honestly I haven't really played Doom 3 DM for more than a few minutes, we picked it for the engine and not any particular qualities the game might already have.
HeXetic
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by HeXetic »

One of the features they added in Quake 4 was better global lighting support than Doom3, allowing them to easily give everything the appearance of softer lighting.

Re: WA.
If you're talking about monsters, in both D3 and Q4, they always know the exact position of the player. There's no hiding from them.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

double post?
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

No, I beat single player on max difficulty quite handily... Well not handily, but doggedly at least ;) I have yet to go back and try "nightmare", but it's multiplay that vexes me.
HeXetic
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by HeXetic »

Maybe it's the footstep noises?

In any case, multiplayer Doom 3, provided you have people who are competent FPS players, is basically Q3A in the dark, which means you run, you jump, you shoot, and you careen. It's not a question of tracking down, it's a question of twitch-turn-fire.
zbriggs
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by zbriggs »

Nexus_One wrote:So when can we expect to see this mod in action?

I've all but given up hope for Core Decision, so maybe this will work out better for our community?
My question is when did you start speaking for the whole community? :)

I'm glad this is working out. We will be releasing a playable demo with multiplayer in the next few months.

Zach
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

sorry, dead thread dude. :)