Some people are stupid beyond my ability to comprehend...

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

JMEaT
DBB Meat ByProduct
DBB Meat ByProduct

Some people are stupid beyond my ability to comprehend...

Post by JMEaT »

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=1297922&page=1

McDonald's employee strips becuase an unknown caller claiming to be a police officer instructs her to do so...
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Ok I can see the girl being frightened into compliance at first but ... when the guy sodomized her ... well ... uh ... this girls is just friggin stupid. Darwinism at its finest ...
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

..only in america?? :?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

HaAGen DaZS wrote:..only in america?? :?
hehe, I'm sure it happens everywhere.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Sounds like there were about half a dozen morons in this story, starting with the shift manager. Glad to hear she was fired.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Um yeah. Where were these girls when I was in High School and trying to get some?
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

superamerica gas stations in minnesota lost 10's of thousands of dollars to callers claiming to be money gram representatives and providing 7 digit confirmation codes for money transfers. they told the employees that they needed to verify the machines were working correctly and walked them through the process of sending funds. then they non-chalantly walked into another store and retreived the funds that had been sent. since no money changed hands this was quite a problem.

it is as i've always said ... you pay these people low wages and expect ANY LEVEL of competence you are just asking for trouble. (that isnt to say that service people are all stupid... just that you can't expect them not to be)
Flabby Chick
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Flabby Chick »

Good grief!! I'm...well don't know what to say.
Vertigo 99
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Vertigo 99 »

huh? where are the girls that got sexually molested and sodomized in high school, dedman?

what the ★■◆●?
Lobber
Emotastic!!
Emotastic!!

Post by Lobber »

It's easy to understand when you understand the mindset of McDonald's Employees, and all fast food restaurant employees together. They are programmed to obey. It's like the military in that they brain wash the employee, teaching him basically how to wipe his butt, what order to do it in, etc.

Try asking any fast food employee for something unusual, and you'll usually get a blank stare, or a pause as their brain tries to comprehend your request, and watch when the brain kicks in and they finally understand and are able to comply because they had to think outside of their "programming."

I believe that people who take jobs at these places early in life probably have a hard time adjusting to a dymanic workplace later on, that doesn't have immediate and close supervision. That's my theory anyways.
Dedman
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Dedman »

Lobber wrote:I believe that people who take jobs at these places early in life probably have a hard time adjusting to a dymanic workplace later on, that doesn't have immediate and close supervision. That's my theory anyways.
I think your theory is wrong. A lot of people I know who had a job in a fast food place, myself included, took the job because they needed the money. Most of us, myself included, had the job while going through school. It was a low stress job that didn't require a lot of brain power. The less energy you burn on the small stuff means more is available to burn on the important stuff, like engineering school. :wink:
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Dedman wrote:
Lobber wrote:I believe that people who take jobs at these places early in life probably have a hard time adjusting to a dymanic workplace later on, that doesn't have immediate and close supervision. That's my theory anyways.
I think your theory is wrong. A lot of people I know who had a job in a fast food place, myself included, took the job because they needed the money. Most of us, myself included, had the job while going through school. It was a low stress job that didn't require a lot of brain power. The less energy you burn on the small stuff means more is available to burn on the important stuff, like engineering school. :wink:
Ditto ...

I had several fast food jobs early on, solely for the purpose of raising money for engineering school. Do I have problems adapting to a changing work environment? No ... in fact I view change in the workplace as opportunity. If someone moves your cheese, you go find new (and hopefully better) cheese.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Common sense isn't.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Possibly one of the most complacent, condescending, ignorant, bigoted and moronic displays of self-righteous bullcrap ever.

In his defense though, it's not the "cream of the crop" type of worker that tends to land these types of jobs.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Testiculese »

Wow, people are such lemmings that they obey 'police' without question?

What losers.
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

Iceman wrote:
Dedman wrote:
Ditto ...

I had several fast food jobs early on, solely for the purpose of raising money for engineering school. Do I have problems adapting to a changing work environment? No ... in fact I view change in the workplace as opportunity. If someone moves your cheese, you go find new (and hopefully better) cheese.
Heh, If it wasn't for taco bell I wouldnt have seen early on that working to make some big corporation money while being paid absolutely crap wages really sucked!
I give Taco bell full credit for inspiring me to own my own business! :P
jakee308
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by jakee308 »

okay now listen closely. I want you to get a ten dollar bill. put it in an envelope and write on the envelope:
john doe
123 mystreet
anywhere usa

put a stamp on it and mail it. you will receive a special prize within 4-6 weeks.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Post by AceCombat »

uhhhhhh yeah......
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

heh...a gifted salesman, a natural, apparently and he wasted it on a prank phone call :(
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

Dedman wrote:
I agree completely. I work at Micky D's and joke that I shut my brain off as soon as I walk through the door there, but come on.

Re Lobber's comment about immediate and close supervision: Obviously you havent worked in fast food. The store where I work is only crawling with managers during the busiest times of the day, from 11am-5pm. Every other time (including overnight, since we're open 24 hours) there are only 1 or 2 managers in the store. By and large, the nighttime crew people are better overall since they have to be self-sufficient enough to get things done without having a manager tell them what to do. There are exceptions, obviously, as we've learned by watching the video. :roll:

That maintenence guy was probly like wtf mate?
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

WarAdvocat wrote:
Possibly one of the most complacent, condescending, ignorant, bigoted and moronic displays of self-righteous bullcrap ever.

In his defense though, it's not the "cream of the crop" type of worker that tends to land these types of jobs.
Lobber - bogus theory with a big brush.

WA - hey, I resemble that remark. :P
(McD's veteran, 2 years (1974-1976), all shifts, grill and window.)
Beowulf
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Beowulf »

Working at McDonalds at age 16-17 is acceptable. But after that, it's time to get a real job.
Sarge
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Sarge »

Why have I not seen this 'story' on any other news source?
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

<-- Burger King, Little Caesar's & Dominos veteran.

Somehow, I manage to make a decent living in a dynamic, fast-paced, fluid work environment despite these handicaps. I juggle crew scheduling, customer service, invoicing for my crews, medium-intensity IT and labor tracking here... all without immediate and close supervision.

On occasion, I do find myself longing for the days of "Go to the freezer, get the box". There's something profoundly comforting in only doing what you're told, and not having to think or take responsibility. Thankfully (or not) I have a much wider skill-set these days...
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

Beowulf wrote:Working at McDonalds at age 16-17 is acceptable. But after that, it's time to get a real job.
Spoken like the true hypocritical bigot you are. Get off your high horse, you aren't any better than the rest of the world. Not better, not worse, just different.
Boo
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Boo »

Well, that's something you don't see every day...
Testiculese wrote:Wow, people are such lemmings that they obey 'police' without question?

What losers.
Yeah, seriously. "Hey, someone who might be a police officer is asking me to abuse a fellow employee. OKAY!"

No traces of stupidity there.
Jeff250
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Jeff250 »

Oh, right, because people not gifted with JMEaT's intellect deserve to be sexually abused! Funny funny!
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

HaAGen DaZS wrote:..only in america?? :?
A rather irconic ad on that article. ;)