what ever happened too....

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

what ever happened too....

Post by fyrephlie »

flying cars? really tho, i remember so many years ago that the year 2000 was going to mark hover cars and robot maids and things!!!

actually what i am really wondering about is VR. for a little while there, it was huge (i remember watching G4 and seeing SF CSAR being played on full VR), and there was all sorts of talk about consumer vr, which i always thought would be great. i know that a few years ago 'stereo glasses' got big and even a few games were supporting 3d stereo options, but that seemed to have feel by the way side. (/me sighs and remembers the days of the the NES powerglove... )

this is the 'best stuff' i have seen on the 'net, and clearly its not top notch yet.

who here would like some of the future we were told we would have??? man i want direct brain input!!!
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

i like you

*dry humps your geeky leg*

fyre did you see my VIRTUAL DRUM RIG?
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8058&highlight=p5+glvoe
inspire of max power excitement yes happy!

those VR gloves i'm using there are good (cheap) fun too. It's the next version of the Powerglove (it was the same design team), called the P5 Glove.

if you want a REAL flying car, look no further than the Moller Sky Car. It's teh real thing baby :)
go nuts.
http://www.moller.com/
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

roid wrote:i like you

*dry humps your geeky leg*

fyre did you see my VIRTUAL DRUM RIG?
phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8058&highlight=p5+glvoe
inspire of max power excitement yes happy!

those VR gloves i'm using there are good (cheap) fun too. It's the next version of the Powerglove (it was the same design team), called the P5 Glove.

if you want a REAL flying car, look no further than the Moller Sky Car. It's teh real thing baby :)
go nuts.
http://www.moller.com/
i like you too!!! wanna virtual spoon? (male geek on geek luv is wrong and should be censored by the government ... the only time i won't yell 'damn the man' ala empire records)

yeah i saw the p5's on that link i posted ... was thinking how cool it would be to try them out ... but wasn't sure of the quality.

w3rd up on the drum rig... /me is a drummer (even did the punk bad thing in the late 90's for like 20 minutes or so, man that record deal was SO in the bag.......)

NEWS RADIO REFERENCE = 'good fortune happy lucky big time for you and family', i don't know what that means bit it's always stuck with me.

as to the moller skycar, a friend of mine pointed that out a few years back. man o man how cool would that be? but of course it is a "JET"... so filing a flight plan to commute to work would suck, you couldn't stop for coffee on a whim, and of course, 20 mpg sounds good, but at 275 mph, i am still thinking it is a little heavy on the pocket book. (even though it is the first personally affordable personal aircraft, you only need a $100,000 deposit on the list price of a cool million (which is certainly affordable)) when they get their certification by 2008 we will see what happens (i'm voting hindenburg!!! hehe)

but what i really want is a delorian with a flux-capacitor and hover engines.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

1) PUBLISHING COMPANYS

2) INSURANCE COMPANYS

These are some examples of institutions that i think hold some blame for our current lack of all that promised tech that was supposedly just around the corner

Both industrys are similar as they both refuse to take risks, and they are not alone.
Publishing companys are deathly frightened of "the next best thing" unless they are behind the curve of it - only if they can CONTROL it do they reluctantly jump on board. Everything has to pay off, and if it doesn't you must KILL IT to make sure no-one else can use it. So if you don't succeed - make sure no-one else does either. :(

And how many technologys do we have today that fallen to capitalism's forced mediocrity? More and more keep selling out and feeding into the machine.

the Google company is my current hopeful team of choice :). They seem to be one of the rare ones who have their heads screwed on right.
Idealistic Geeks

(oh and i guess nasa's pretty neat too)

A few years back i used to write for ZZZonline, a tech e-zine. It was a fun hobby and all but after a while of getting into that kindof stuff you really start to notice how things work. It's not pretty - technologys get bought out and burried left right and center.

it's an innovation massacre.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

what, like the Aerocar?

What happened: it was a car and a plane, but not a very good one of either. And, honestly, you've seen how people drive... do you want them all at 1500 feet?
Darkside Heartless
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Darkside Heartless »

Flying car's are on the way, check out Moller.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

Darkside Heartless wrote:Flying car's are on the way, check out Moller.
post skimmers....
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

fyrephlie wrote:
post skimmers....
I don't know much about VR, but I work at an airplane museum, so I chose to respond to the part of your post I know the most about.

In other words... I didn't skim, I just responded selectively.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

Lothar wrote:
fyrephlie wrote:
post skimmer....
I don't know much about VR, but I work at an airplane museum, so I chose to respond to the part of your post I know the most about.

In other words... I didn't skim, I just responded selectively.
sorry i mean skimmer ... not you, he linked to the link that was already posted by roid, and skipped past my response to his post of the moller car. that is why i quote him not you.

i saw your post, it was cool, reminds me the car in the bond movie, umm, i think they made those too, maybe its the same... but i am a link skimmer so i didn't dig into it which is why i didnt respond :) but i agree that people can't drive to begin with most of the time so a flying car may be a horrible idea.

much <3 at j00!!!
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Post by Lothar »

oh, that's OK then...

As for the Bond movie:

"Even 007 himself hasn't seen a real flying car. The one in The Man With the Golden Gun was a static model "flown" by Hollywood special effects."

from here.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

hmm... i coulda sworn i had seen some bond thing about the different gadgest seen in the movies and though i saw something about a flying car from the 60's he used that 'actually worked'... guess not :(
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

something i've become rather excited about thesedays is the combination of fast processors & SOFTWARE - and the capabilities this is adding to AI.
  • Computer Vision:
    there are emerging technologys for a host of Computer Vision applications. Things like face recognition, object recognition. Even in 3D - i've seen programs that use a few cheap randomly places webcams to build a dynamic 3D model of your head - That's mere steps away from 3D Holo-video recorders. Also - forget all your VR input equipment. Just let the computer use it's webcams to track your hand movements in 3D - all with cheap webcams. It's very exciting software.

Another amazing thing this kindof software can do is this:
    Run a video through the software and it analyses the frames to build a 3D model of everything it sees - leaving you with a full 3D scene that even maps out the path the camera took in 3D.

Just like the Descent auto-mapper.

i really want to get involved in this technology, as it's pretty much just getting outof the proof of concept stage. I'm still excited about the potential it has years after i first got introduced to it.

because it's just software (mostly based on neuron emulation), any old cheap cameras/photos, and some processing power - it'll be cheap and accessable to all.

We may even get to the stage where it can be done on the fly. Walk around a building and have your PDA mapping out your surroundings in 3D as you go - the more you walk around in one area the more refined the 3D data becomes.
  • Computer Voice Recognition:
    Computer voice recognition keeps getting better and better. I believe we're currently at the time where we can design a completley voice activated interface Alla star-trek: "computer, do this and this". I've been pricing components for a personal DVR system recently and i was considering experimentally trying to base the entire thing from Voice commands.
    "computer: record channel 2 8:30 in the morning for 2 hours on thursdays". It could be done i think.
  • Information Gathering/Pattern sorting Hubs:
    Add enough information into a system, and allow that system to access and sort the information as it sees fit - we could have some amazingly intuitive computer systems. All based almost solely around software and raw processing power.

eg: there are currently available seperate computers programs that can track eye movements, recognise facial expressions (incl microgestures), analyse voice stress patterns, and more. Add all of this information into one system and you could have a software system in your home that with only a simple webcam and microphone - can know more about what's on your mind than you do yourself.
    it could pick up and read subtle nonverbal cues and interact with you accordingly. you can point at something, or even look at something, and the computer will know what you are on about.

the computer could even watch you while you watch tv, and from your body language and eye movement: guage what you do and don't like - and program itself to record shows that it thinks you will enjoy.
    (advertisers are all over this kindof stuff).
the possabilitys are almost limitless - because all of it is just software and processing power.

the technology already exists in almost every home. It just needs an operating system smart enough to properly use everything that's at it's disposal.
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

yeah you are not alone in your excitement there, i have seen this included in a few articles in the past, and i seem to recall ideas of this nature used in movies / books.

the whole cheap web cam motion tracking is obviously already very much a reality. one example i can think of is is the ps2 eye toy ( http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/eyetoy/ ) which is pure garbage for quality standards, but a step in the direction you are referring too. microsoft is using this idea as well, so there much be something to it ( http://research.microsoft.com/mitt/ ).

imagine 3d cam modelling bringing about a whole new world of reality tv, where you can WASD your way through the real world house in real time to see what is going on with all the people. of course i am sure realtime modelling is a bit out there. but a thought, could even bring about a whole new world of fps online gaming... w00t w00t!!! paintball without leaving your home!!! what the hell am i am talking about now? whatever ... i will stop rambling now.