Demo Trading REPOST

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Demo Trading REPOST

Post by WarAdvocat »

Since the original was locked for no apparent reason, can we please reopen it?

I'd be real interested in seeing some of these. Let's get 'em distributed! Maybe we can get someone to host these demos on a website? I know several of us have websites set up.

Planet Descent maybe even?
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

That is complete BS and you know it Ferno. I think it's pretty sad that you don't have anything better to do. You have a history of locking posts just to exercise your power. Has MD now joined you? Hooray!

#1 How is that necroposting? 20 days old? For this forum that topic is positively fresh and new. It was in the top 1/8th of page one when it was locked, for god's sake. Hell it's still just the 17th post on page one and we've had a nearly unprecedented slew of new topics these last few weeks.

#2 Necroposting refers to uselessly dragging up an old topic! Clayman's post was constructive, to the point and on-topic.

#3 A lot of people only check this forum every couple'r few weeks.

Give us a break and stop with the petty bullcrap. Let's not shut down ongoing discussion, provided it is productive and hasn't degenerated into postcount ++ idiocy.

Speaking of useless, why don't we lock THIS topic, and unlock the other one?
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

re: #1: MD closed it. he has a slightly different policy on necroposts than I do. So I think your issue about this should be directed to him.

#2: The reason necroposts are usually closed are due to these reasons:
Factors you need to weigh:
- how old is the thread?
- how long is the thread (meaning, how much time will people have to waste rereading it before they realize they've already read it?)
- how important is it that your response be directly in the thread vs. being a new thread that links to the old one? Is the thread so unique that it doesn't make sense to start a new one?
- how many chances have you had to respond? (If you've been gone for a month, and you start your post with "sorry for coming in so late on this, I've been gone for a month" you'll probably have a little bit of leeway.)
- have you been a problem for the moderator recently? (Klubmarcus necro'd some threads that I might have tolerated had he not been causing problems in other ways.)
- is your comment legit, or is it basically a useless thread bump?
#3: I'm sorry but I don't have everyone's DBB schedules at hand. your intent is coercive.

Please try and understand the motives behind how things are done instead of crying foul so quickly.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

WarAdvocat wrote: Speaking of useless, why don't we lock THIS topic, and unlock the other one?
Unlock it, please. It's obvious people want it open. Be nice to sticky it for a while too. I have some old ones of myself with testi and barry.
WarAdvocat wrote:Since the original was locked for no apparent reason.

I'd be real interested in seeing some of these. Let's get 'em distributed! Maybe we can get someone to host these demos on a website? I know several of us have websites set up.

Planet Descent maybe even?
I'd be willing to host some.

I'd unlock it for ya WA, but the last time I unlocked an unnecessarily closed thread, Ferno cried like he just got his arm shoved in a wood chipper.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

if you want it unlocked, you'll have to ask MD. I don't circumvent what other mods do.
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

nobody asked you, Ferno.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Ferno wrote:re: #1: MD closed it. he has a slightly different policy on necroposts than I do. So I think your issue about this should be directed to him.
Whatever his policy is, I'm hoping this was just a case of not paying much attention, and not an actual execution of a firm policy.
Ferno wrote:#2: The reason necroposts are usually closed are due to these reasons:
Factors you need to weigh:
- how old is the thread?
- how long is the thread (meaning, how much time will people have to waste rereading it before they realize they've already read it?)
- how important is it that your response be directly in the thread vs. being a new thread that links to the old one? Is the thread so unique that it doesn't make sense to start a new one?
- how many chances have you had to respond? (If you've been gone for a month, and you start your post with "sorry for coming in so late on this, I've been gone for a month" you'll probably have a little bit of leeway.)
- have you been a problem for the moderator recently? (Klubmarcus necro'd some threads that I might have tolerated had he not been causing problems in other ways.)
- is your comment legit, or is it basically a useless thread bump?
yeah, yeah whatever. Like I said.
Ferno wrote:#3: I'm sorry but I don't have everyone's DBB schedules at hand. your intent is coercive.
Could you please rephrase that in simple, one-syllable words? I think I must have misunderstood: either I don't speak my native language correctly, or you're implying I threatened someone with some sort of reprisal if they didn't carry out my orders?
Ferno wrote:Please try and understand the motives behind how things are done instead of crying foul so quickly.
yeah, yeah whatever. Like I said.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6782

the necroposting thing was discussed here.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Oh I'm sorry I couldn't schedule my moderation with your posting habits.

In all seriousness, the post was made long after the previous one. That constitutes a necropost. I don't care if its on-topic or a spammy me-too. It was still a necropost. If you want to talk about it, nothing is stopping anyone from starting a new thread.

You don't like the way I do things? Take it to PM or talk to Koolbear.
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re: Demo Trading REPOST

Post by Lothar »

WarAdvocat wrote:Since the original was locked for no apparent reason...
There's a button that looks like this:

at the top of every post. There's also a list of moderators at the top of every forum, and they have similar buttons in their profiles. Please use them.
Darktalyn1
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Darktalyn1 »

First of all,

Bad Moderating job. Sorry, but the thread wasn't closed for a good reason. "Necropost" ... What a joke.

Secondly,

I'm still interested in getting some demos passed around with people. I personally don't have any webhosting but if someone is willing to host for me, maybe I can transfer my demos to them and they can host them.

Everyone better make sure to post to this thread every other day, or else it might get locked too for "Necroposts"!!!!!!1

God forbid.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

Darktalyn1 wrote:First of all,

Bad Moderating job. Sorry, but the thread wasn't closed for a good reason. "Necropost" ... What a joke.
You're entitled to your own opinion, however wrong it may be. Its not my job to hold anyone's hand while they surf this forum, nor is it my job to make sure people pay attention when they post. That is your OWN responsibility. Furthermore, some of you act like I'm being a forum nazi. Take a look a round. I closed a whopping TWO threads. One necropost, and one that should've been sent as a PM. Notice that I completely left the pilot spam threads alone? Hell, I even participated in a couple of them myself, because they were "fun" threads. I didn't have to leave them open at all, and I'm still well within my right to close all of them according to the moderator guidelines. You people have no freaking clue what a REAL forum nazi is.
Secondly,

I'm still interested in getting some demos passed around with people. I personally don't have any webhosting but if someone is willing to host for me, maybe I can transfer my demos to them and they can host them.
A simple google search reveals quite a few free webhosts. Some of them are review sites that review such hosts. If they don't suit your needs, let me know how big all of the demos are put together and I'll see what I can do.