Multiplayer with Robots in it

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Multiplayer with Robots in it

Post by Ned »

Has there been any progress with making multiplayer levels with robots in 'em? I recall being in one or two games with a prototype. :?:
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

u mean like robo anarchy?
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

D1, D2 or D3?
If you're talking about what I think you are? You're asking about player BOTS in D3. I have heard of them and there was one. But that was years ago and I have no clue now. :roll:
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

It would be cooler if you could have robo-team anarchy. Ya know, robots on your team that you could deploy to do different things.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

That would require AI far more able then is available in D3 or virtually any current game for that matter.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

It was maybe like Bama's Revenge or Something like that and there was a robot in addition to the players.

I remember it well, because it kept kicking my azzz.

Any progress or anyone know what Im talking about?

It was D3 thru Descent.cx
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

Supersheep was working on some code that would function similar to the AntiCheat software that server admins currently use that would allow the admins to include AI bots in any game.

One of the ideas was to have an AI player join a team to help balance out the numbers if one team had too many people. Basically the ?software? could look at the maximum number of players for the game and make sure the server was always full minus one so people could still join.

Another idea was to be able to have the Thief bot in any game. The Thief bot would be an opponent for everyone in the game because he would try and steel your stuff no matter what team you are on.

I don't know where Sheep is at with this code but I think he had to put it on the bottom of his list due to other commitments.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

That bot was a waste of game space.
Ned
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Ned »

Oh ok, SuperSheep was da Man.

I disagree. I think AI bots are a totally cool idea for multiplayer games. It could also be good for playing against when you are the first player waiting for others to join. I think Subway Dancer needs a mean cranky robot with good weapons who moves slow :)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Richard Cranium wrote:Supersheep was working on some code that would function similar to the AntiCheat software that server admins currently use that would allow the admins to include AI bots in any game.

One of the ideas was to have an AI player join a team to help balance out the numbers if one team had too many people. Basically the ?software? could look at the maximum number of players for the game and make sure the server was always full minus one so people could still join.

Another idea was to be able to have the Thief bot in any game. The Thief bot would be an opponent for everyone in the game because he would try and steel your stuff no matter what team you are on.

I don't know where Sheep is at with this code but I think he had to put it on the bottom of his list due to other commitments.
hmm.. UT does that too. Interesting.... veerry interesting.. *sink*
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Post by MD-2389 »

I've actually played against "Spike", and lets just say it was interesting. ;) In testing, he spawned hellion bosses where every door was. Uhh....lets just say nobody lived very long. :lol:
DCrazy
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by DCrazy »

Krom wrote:That would require AI far more able then is available in D3 or virtually any current game for that matter.
How so? All it takes is a single if statement in the bot's targeting code... "if this guy's on my team, don't shoot him."
El Ka Bong
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by El Ka Bong »

I was playing in a crowded Stadium game with a player called "A RoboT" ... I thought it was a real pilot, and I called it a 'hacker' .. ?! @ LoL! I was mystified for a few minutes, and naturally assumed it was a hacked pilot .. !

The AI ship was a little slow to respond, sometimes stuck in corners, but it was also invulnerable. It was a dark-pyro like in the level called Blue Devil. I just avoided it. It split up the action sometimes, however if the AI was more agressive, it might be ok to have a robot in some gang-bang levels...
DIII-vinz
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by DIII-vinz »

if you do not already know:
there is this level called "firingrange" by (LL)Atan. it is a singleplayer mission for offline basic multiplayer training with ai ships that look like pyros and also fight each other. fun to try. :)
sushi.h.a.
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by sushi.h.a. »

I just released a mod called GroupC a bit ago, and in it, the counter measures have been replaced by a few robots and specialized Gunboys.

e.g. The normal gunboy pickup (on the left) gives you a deployable Flame RAS robot (on the right). (you know the red bot that says, ?Burn!?). When deployed, it will autonomously operate on your side.

Here is a Flame RAS of mine attacking an enemy phoenix.

I didn?t want the deployable bots mess up the feel of multiplayer, so they aren?t ridiculously powerful or anything, and there are usually very few, if any, countermeasure pickups in a given level, so they are also bit rare. They?re fun to use though.
You can of course disable the countermeasure pickups in the multiplayer options when you don?t want any deployable bots.
Anyway, I hope that helps out Ned.
Take care. :D