404s Everywhere!

For questions, special requests, or any complaints concerning the Descent BB.

Moderators: Krom, Lothar, Richard Cranium, KoolBear

Instig8
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

404s Everywhere!

Post by Instig8 »

If I'm not mistaken, the DBB has moved to the root of the domain... aka The BB code no longer resides in phpbb/.

That's all fine and dandy and makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. However, where ever there is a link to the old location (hundreds? thousands? brazillions?), when a user clicks on that link, they get an ugly '404 Not Found' message.

I would like to suggest a re-write rule added to apache, or whatever server you're now using.

I may be way off in left field, but this is how I _think_ it should be coded in the apache conf file:

RewriteRule ^/phpbb/(.*)$ /$1

Or have a custom 404 page that indicates the state of the intended file and a link to where the user should to go (with auto-refresh in n seconds). All that's needed here is the output of the URI with 'phpbb/' removed (and some basic html).

Thanks for listing.

--instig8
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Or when we get done have the DBB restored to the /phpbb/ folder where it should be since apache rewrite rules don't apply on IIS servers. :P
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Post by Richard Cranium »

Or fix every post that has a link in it.
Aus-RED-5
DBB Friend
DBB Friend

Re:

Post by Aus-RED-5 »

Richard Cranium wrote:Or fix every post that has a link in it.
Have fun! :lol:
Instig8
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Instig8 »

Richard Cranium wrote:Or fix every post that has a link in it.
That won't fix people's bookmarks and links on other sites. I don't suggest modifying the database, especially when some other action will fix everything.

Code: Select all

Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
X-Powered-By: PHP/4.4.1
IIS surely must have some sort of URL rewriting ability. If not, do the custom 404 page. Specify an asp or php file and write a couple lines of code.
  • Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages.
Somebody wake me when college football is over.

--instig8.
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re: 404s Everywhere!

Post by Duper »

I have yet to run into that problem.

The only one was when I tried to log on after the move was finalized which was solved by creating a new fav short cut to \"www.descentbb.net\".
KompresZor
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by KompresZor »

Try the Benefactors link in the header, it will 404
phpbb/lwdonors.php?mode=viewcurrent
Instig8
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Instig8 »

Check the web server's error log, then tell me you don't have a problem. You might be surprised when you see how many problems you 'have yet to run into.'

--instig8
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

That link gives me the following error.

This Domain is down for Maintenance

The NOC is performing server maintenance on this site/server. Please check back soon.

I get this often when clicking links in here now.
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Re:

Post by KoolBear »

KompresZor wrote:Try the Benefactors link in the header, it will 404
phpbb/lwdonors.php?mode=viewcurrent
This should be corrected it was a bad link in the DescentBB Template.

Thanks,

Please be patient we are working to resolve these issues.

KB
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Re: 404s Everywhere!

Instig8 wrote:If I'm not mistaken, the DBB has moved to the root of the domain... aka The BB code no longer resides in phpbb/.

That's all fine and dandy and makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. However, where ever there is a link to the old location (hundreds? thousands? brazillions?), when a user clicks on that link, they get an ugly '404 Not Found' message.

I would like to suggest a re-write rule added to apache, or whatever server you're now using.

I may be way off in left field, but this is how I _think_ it should be coded in the apache conf file:

RewriteRule ^/phpbb/(.*)$ /$1

Or have a custom 404 page that indicates the state of the intended file and a link to where the user should to go (with auto-refresh in n seconds). All that's needed here is the output of the URI with 'phpbb/' removed (and some basic html).

Thanks for listing.

--instig8
I think this is a fixed issue now. All requests to the old directory structure are now permanently redirected to the correct location for the files now. This should fix much more than just broken links BUT make debugging the rest of the code much more challenging because they wont be giving us errors any more. Catch 22. We might have to turn this off for a little while and finish debugging the rest of the site then turn it back on for all of the external links attempting to reach us that we don’t have control over.

Most of the testing of the code is now being done over on the development site and it doesn't have this redirect. We will continue to fix bugs as we find them.

RC
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

That was not needed, incase you did not know you can freely move the scripts from phpBB around to different folders and the only setting you need to change is the scripts path in general configuration. The database is in SQL and doesn't move even if the scripts do. Thats why I suggested moving the scripts, it may also fix some other bugs like hard coded links pointing to the wrong locations.

The double // after descentbb.net might confuse some people.
Richard Cranium
DBB Supporter
DBB Supporter

Re:

Krom wrote:The double // after descentbb.net might confuse some people.
Good catch on the double //. I fixed that. I think we will leave the redirect in place for now on the production system and try moving the scripts in the development site first.

RC
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Krom is right, it's a breeze to move the folder and update that one table in the database.

In all honestly I would rather the bb not be in the root directory. But that's another point :) ANd from what I gather it's not a good idea to use phpbb any way because hackers search for just such sites :P

Either way we are still left the the links AFTER the move.

KB