Unable to play

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

UK_Z
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Unable to play

Post by UK_Z »

Hi All

Have been away for a few years and now want to play on line again, but PXO has gone!!!!

Have downloaded gamespy and managed to play a couple of games there but most of the time i get \"no response from server\" and also get the same from the \" D3 cx\" launcher.

I have avast on my systen to protect it and have switched it off so my system works as a server but still no play.

Things were much better when you could see the games once inside D3 and not need to reload it every time just to be kicked back.

Please help me :roll:
Unix
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Unix »

Mutliplayer Tutorial

Personally, I use vortex. It has a level download feature and is stable.

Welcome back!
UK_Z
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by UK_Z »

Thanks for the reply. See you in there.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

sarcasm:

But Vortex sucks because it's not a full-blown IRC client!!!! Therefore you shouldn't use it at all even for game browsing. Far better to use the d3.descent.cx website (which doesn't have chat, level download, and only has a basic server info feature), or kquery, which is buggy and wierd, and also does NOT feature level download, or chat.

And it also sucks that Vortex features chat integration features like level join and return announcements and launch-links.

/sarcasm
Iceman
DBB Habitual Type Killer
DBB Habitual Type Killer

Post by Iceman »

LOL! Yeah, it really sucks ... sucks so bad I use it every day.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

ditto...

It's hard to believe that certain idiots out there are telling people to use d3.descent.cx & MIRC instead, because vortex \"sucks\". But they are.

Multiple Choice-

Q: \"Hi, I'm (new to d3)/(coming back after a long absence), and I don't know how to join games. How do I join games and chat?\"

1) You simply download an .EXE file from a website game listing and it will launch d3 for you!! As for chat you are a n00b unless you use MIRC. And it had better be the correct script, or you're a lamer. Oh, and before trying to join a game, you'd better check your missions folder manually, and if you don't have the level, download it from Planetdescent (if it's there, that is), or the game won't launch, and worse, it won't just say \"level not available\", nooooo, it'll give you some incomprehensible error so you won't even know what's wrong.

2) Use a program called Kquery. As for chat you are a n00b unless you use MIRC. And it had better be the correct script, or you're a lamer. Oh, and before trying to join a game, you'd better check your missions folder manually, and if you don't have the level, download it from Planetdescent (if it's there, that is), or the game won't launch, and worse, it won't just say \"level not available\", nooooo, it'll give you some incomprehensible error so you won't even know what's wrong.

3) Use Vortex and avoid all of the above hassles (except the elitist idiots calling you a \"noob\" or \"lamer\" for not using their preferred chat client)

(hint: the correct answer is \"3\")
Pun
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Pun »

I use mIRC with the Invision script and the DescentCX browser (which, by the way does have a convenient link to download levels). I won't give up mIRC because it has functionality that Vortex lacks and an interface that I like. I must be an elitist idiot.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Guess that makes two of us in this case Pun. :P
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by WarAdvocat »

punisher wrote:I use mIRC with the Invision script and the DescentCX browser (which, by the way does have a convenient link to download levels). I won't give up mIRC because it has functionality that Vortex lacks and an interface that I like. I must be an elitist idiot.
I too use MIRC (with the invision script) for chat. Can't argue with your choice there :) I've never seen either of you hassle anyone for their choice of chat client, so you're not elitist idiots.

I submit to you that for someone who doesn't know all the ins and outs, Vortex is far superior to d3.descent.cx as a D3 game browser, and it's also much better than kquery IMO. Given that it is an effective, useful, and above all FUNCTIONAL "all-in-one" solution for people who are just looking to talk about or play Descent 3, you should be recommending it, IMO.
Grendel
3d Pro Master
3d Pro Master

Post by Grendel »

I suggest Vortex to all newbs asking for D3 MP -- most easy and fastest way to get up & running. However, I do use mIRC & kquery :P
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Hell, I use Trillian for IRC chat and Kali for server browsing (mainly as force of habit), but I'd never recommend anything but Vortex for new players. What else can beat a simple 5 MB program that does everything?

(As for PD not having certain levels, that's most likely my fault. :P)
BUBBALOU
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by BUBBALOU »

I use them all

mIrc by default with Kquery

once every a month I will launch Vortex to clear out all the online garbage from playing multiplayer in my D3 / D3_15 net/audio/graphics folders

I seem to have a better workout dodging your stupidity than attempting to grasp the weight of your intelligence.