Death of a pet

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Death of a pet

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Today I did something I thought I wouldn't have to do for a long time. :cry: I had one of my two cats put to sleep. He was a stray when we found him (about 1 month old). He fit in the palm of your hand. About 2-3 yrs ago he started acting differently and urinating all over the house including our bed (while we were sleeping in it). Thursday night he did it again and we had had enough and said we would finally get rid of him. He would also attack my other cat and bite her till she meowed like hell.

Well, at about 4pm today I gave him to my vet. They asked if i wanted to stay but I couldn't. I did not think it would be this hard. As I drove home I couldn't stop but think I was a horrible person for doing this.

All day I've done nothing but feel extremly horrible. It will take some time to get over this but I thought I'd share this with you for whatever reason it is which escapes me at the moment.

I now have a 3 yrs old dog and a 10 yr old ct that I hope live very long cause I don't need to feel like this again for a very long time.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

urgh i know how it feels. few years ago i put down my cat. she was 18 years old, which means i had her since i was 2. She went out with ketamine which i guess wouldn't be too bad.
swore i'd never get another pet.

but now i've got this new little kitty with poor kungfu skills. i shall train him, his skills shall be great!
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

So sorry to hear about it. Always a painful experiance. We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Kilarin
fyrephlie
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by fyrephlie »

sorry to hear it, but we all have to go sometime... maybe to kitty heaven, with 40 virgin kitties or something...

don't feel horrible. as harsh as it may seem now, you did the right thing.
AlphaDoG
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by AlphaDoG »

It's always sad to hear about the loss of a pet. Sounds like it was a dysfunctional pet to say the least, but still it's sad. Sorry for the loss, I have you and the cat in my thoughts and prayers.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Thanks guys. It's still hard even today. I find myself thinking if I did the right thing or if I should of tried finding another home for him.

Sucks being stuck in this mood.
DarkFlameWolf
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by DarkFlameWolf »

well, I remember getting the word from my parents 8 years ago that a hit-and-run just occured outside our house and the victim was my pet cat: Whiskers. Her complete middle-part of her body was flat. The worst part of it was that she was still....alive and semi-breathing when I went to hold her. She looked at me but I clearly doubt she was even aware of where she was or what she was looking at. But just the mere fact of her looking at me before she died was a little comfort. What made it worse was that I realized I was the last person to open the door and let her outside that day. Took me forever to get over the guilt on that one.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

My cats are indoor cats for the sole reason of hit n runs or some dumb ass person wanting to harm them. I could not live with myself knowing something happened to them because I let them out.

I'm sorry for your loss even though it was a long time ago.
AceCombat
Owned by Timex
Owned by Timex

Re: Death of a pet

Post by AceCombat »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Today I did something I thought I wouldn't have to do for a long time. :cry: I had one of my two cats put to sleep. He was a stray when we found him (about 1 month old). He fit in the palm of your hand. About 2-3 yrs ago he started acting differently and urinating all over the house including our bed (while we were sleeping in it). Thursday night he did it again and we had had enough and said we would finally get rid of him. He would also attack my other cat and bite her till she meowed like hell.

Well, at about 4pm today I gave him to my vet. They asked if i wanted to stay but I couldn't. I did not think it would be this hard. As I drove home I couldn't stop but think I was a horrible person for doing this.

All day I've done nothing but feel extremly horrible. It will take some time to get over this but I thought I'd share this with you for whatever reason it is which escapes me at the moment.

I now have a 3 yrs old dog and a 10 yr old ct that I hope live very long cause I don't need to feel like this again for a very long time.
sometimes this is something you have to do. yes it is very hard. you should consider adopting another cat, a young one and let him/her grow up with you.

*NO JOKES*

4 years ago i had another cat, which was very unsocialable <-- sp? and we had to give it up for adoption, strangly when we began to put it in the kennel and drive to the vet's, she began to meow very lowly and even had a tear drop from her eyes...... i begged my parents to turn back around as i think she knew what was about to happen. ive had cats as pets since i was a infant, so im pretty much attached to them like siblings. my two cats are allowed outside but only into a fenced back yard garden. they accept this and enjoy it with tons of fun. they are also allowed onto the screened in porch.

Merlin, i know how it feels, ive lost several cats along my life, and it hurts badly. just learn to think about all the positive things you did with them. it helps get rid of the sorrow.
some dumb *** person wanting to harm them.
i ever catch anyone harming my two cats............ you guys obviously remember "AceFace" AceCombat :twisted: you think thats bad? i will come pretty damn close to wanting to kill someone for harming my sibling felines :evil:
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss :cry: and what you said brought me to tears. I look at my dog not as a pet, but a member of our family. She eats with us, and goes where I go. She sleeps on my bed with me near my feet.

I can't imagine what I will go through if anything happened to her. I know what you are feeling.

Bettina
HaAGen DaZS
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Re:

Post by HaAGen DaZS »

Bet51987 wrote:Just wanted to say I'm sorry for your loss :cry: and what you said brought me to tears. I look at my dog not as a pet, but a member of our family. She eats with us, and goes where I go. She sleeps on my bed with me near my feet.

I can't imagine what I will go through if anything happened to her. I know what you are feeling.

Bettina
+1
Sorry to hear merls :(

I love my boy, always there for me like no other... don't know how i wouldve gotten thru the past 2 years at times without him... :)
Kiran
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Kiran »

Couple years ago, there was this adoreable white cat with lush green eyes... she was sweetest cat you'd ever meet. She came every time I called her name, she followed me wherever I went when I was walking. She'd be like a teddy bear, always snuggling up to me as I hugged her.
We called her DI. Literally \"Dee-eye\". It's her initials for \"D*** It\". Her name served its purpose. She loves to stand in front of people so when they turn around, they would trip over her. :lol:

On the morning of Dec. 4th, 2003, she didn't come when I called her. I was worried, but moved on. Went to school and came home. Then my dad told me that when he came back from dropping me off at school, he found DI on the side of the road. She was hit by a car.
:cry:

I currently have two other cats, Freya, who came from the same litter with DI but with blue eyes, and Sohpia (whom my dad loves to call ugly because of her strange fur patterns). I love those two cats to death. We still let them outside since Freya was already used to being outside and Sophia came to our porch as a stray kitten. :D

Merlin, I'm very sorry to know what you had to go through, and I know how hard it is. *big hugs* Hang in there.
woodchip
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by woodchip »

Over the years I've had a number of pets die. None were ever easy to take. I'm at a point where I don't know if I'll have another dog.
I feel your pain Merlin.
dissent
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by dissent »

Bummer dude. Know the feeling.

It will suck for a while, then hope you can remember some of the funny times ....
Capm
DBB DemiGod
DBB DemiGod

Post by Capm »

When I left for Florida in 1999, and left my cat Fluffy behind with my parents (because she was so old - she was the first cat I ever had, got her when I was like, 5 years old)... my parents called a couple months later and told me she had kicked the bucket, I was so sad! :( I felt like it was my fault for moving away...