Ultra-high res Monitor?

For system help, all hardware / software topics NOTE: use Coders Corner for all coders topics.

Moderators: Krom, Grendel

Burlyman
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Ultra-high res Monitor?

Post by Burlyman »

Is there a really nice monitor that's good for games and runs at 2048 * 1536? What about a widescreen equivalent? If so, which one would you guys recommend?
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gold Leader »

well if you want the nicest CRT Monitor go for the Sony GDM FW900 24\"

* PC and Macintosh compatible
* Virtually flat viewing surface
* 22.5-inch viewable screen
* 2,304 x 1,440 x 32 maximum resolution @ 80Herz
* 0.27-millimeter dot pitch

you can get one here at Amazon for example :)

here a nice review about this beast @ GamePC
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content ... 900&page=1
Aggressor Prime
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Aggressor Prime »

You can always go 2560x1600with 11ms response time, but it'll cost you.
Tricord
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Tricord »

I don't know about recent products, but my 3 year old 22inch CRT will do 2048x1536. It's a NEC MultiSync FE1250+. You might be able to pick it up somewhere at a bargain price. I love this monitor.

Not sure what you would need such a high res for. For normal usage, I find everything above 1280x1024 too sparse and incomfortable to look at (internet, mail, etc.)

But I guess I didn't help you much with this ;)
Vindicator
DBB Benefactor
DBB Benefactor

Post by Vindicator »

I'd go for image quality at a lower resolution rather than just sheer resolution... if you want both size and quality it'll cost you. A lot of games cant even recognize a resolution that high.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Yeah, my 19\" CRTs can both do 1920x1440 and they are quite sharp doing it, but I run them at 1280x960 each first for the flicker free 100 Hz refresh, and second because 1920x1440 makes text painfully small and hard to read on a 19\" CRT. Also both of these monitors suffer from sloppy convergence in a couple zones, most of the screen is fine, just on a few areas near the extrem edges of the screen a white line will separate completely into it's red green blue components. That is a basic problem with the nature of CRT monitors, LCDs don't have that problem but a whole different set of problems like uniform brightness, black levels, contrast ratios and responce time. Personally I am a fan of huge CRTs, but they are losing out to LCDs and soon it won't be worth your time to buy a CRT, so many of the best CRTs are now discontinued as everyone moves to LCD screens instead.

I have seen a lot of happy reviews on the latest dell widescreen LCD monitors, if you have the budget for it I would look into them.