D3X-XL?

D2X-XL - Descent II update for modern systems with many new features and enhanced graphics. Home Page

Moderators: Grendel, Aus-RED-5

Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

D3X-XL?

Post by Gold Leader »

hm interesting will there be a D3X-XL also for as future plans?
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Why should it? D3 works on Windows, Mac OS (don't know about Linux), and doesn't need any updating for that. Apart from that, you can mod it.

If you want to know about exciting new Descent-style projects, check my Descent site's links section. ;)
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Obi-Wan, in effect that would be patch 1.5. Check the D3 Developement archives for a list what it was supposed to include.
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kirby »

I had some time to play Descent 3 under Wine.....it does work. Some noticable problems was that brightness adjustment did not work, and the mouselook was very slow even with sensitivity turned way up (I think that has something to do with the framecap....I didn't have enough brains to try the -framecap ## switch when I had Linux installed :D )
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by simX »

Diedel wrote:D3 works on Windows, Mac OS (don't know about Linux), and doesn't need any updating for that.
Well, not exactly. It works on the Classic Mac OS -- Mac OS 9, to be specific. But it doesn't run natively on Mac OS X: you have to run it in the Mac OS 9 compatibility environment. Mac users also never got the 1.5 patch (which apparently breaks cross-platform compatibility with multiplayer as well as fixing some major bugs).

Furthermore, the new Intel Macs don't support running Mac OS 9 within Mac OS X anymore (because of the processor transition), and so only those with PPC-Macs will be able to run Descent 3 at all.

So at least us Mac users would benefit from a D3X-XL app. There are numerous Descent forums that alluded to a semi-official Mac project (by Lokisoft or something?) that was bringing both the 1.5 update and Mac OS X-native gameplay to Descent 3, but apparently it never panned out.
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gold Leader »

I was thinking like a Shader Model 2.0/3.0 texture pack or so to give Descent3 Series more details and so on or DescentIV textures for Descent3 I do know that there is a PyroGX from Descent2 with DescentIV graphics, and it does look beefy, if the whole game could get those graphics with a patch or some like Graphics switch mod that would give D3 annother look :) Like D2X-XL does with Descent and Descent2 ;)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

You won't get a D3X-XL for at least quite some time, because of one little stumbling block:

The source hasn't actually been released yet. Makes it kind of hard to modify it.

I don't know whether it ever WILL be released, and am starting to doubt that, since the parties that still have access to it have practically forgotten the game anyway.
Gold Leader
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Gold Leader »

Maybe we should give them a wakeup call :) Forgetting about one if the greatest games of all time would be a sad thing to see just happen :(

Oh well Let's hope that it will be ser to freedom one day so then you guys and gals can tinker with it 8)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Actually if I recall correctly the Linux version of D3 works in OSX, even though the Mac version does not, I think I have heard that anyway. Because OSX is based off of Linux in the first place.
Diedel
D2X Master
D2X Master

Post by Diedel »

Who cares about D3(-XL) with Into Cerberon and Core Decision around the corner. :P

Yes, I know you do. Think it over. ;)
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Kirby »

First of all...the Descent 3 source code was never released....nor will it probably never since Interplay and Outrage have disappeared off the planet.

I know, reality is hard to comprehend ;)

oh yeah...read this:
viewtopic.php?t=9073
simX
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by simX »

Krom wrote:Actually if I recall correctly the Linux version of D3 works in OSX, even though the Mac version does not, I think I have heard that anyway. Because OSX is based off of Linux in the first place.
Just saw this comment... I bought the Mac version of Descent 3; is there any way I can get a copy of the Linux version so I can run it natively on Mac OS X? That would rock.
Kirby
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Re:

Post by Kirby »

simX wrote:
Krom wrote:Actually if I recall correctly the Linux version of D3 works in OSX, even though the Mac version does not, I think I have heard that anyway. Because OSX is based off of Linux in the first place.
Just saw this comment... I bought the Mac version of Descent 3; is there any way I can get a copy of the Linux version so I can run it natively on Mac OS X? That would rock.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 8&v=glance

enjoy :D
Peter
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Peter »

Don't buy it. It is compiled for x86 Linux compared to PPC Linux. So even though it is Linux, it isn't the right Linux.
halprin
Another one bites the dust!