Top twenty player sighted in Abend2

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

Can you still be on the top twenty list if you play in Abend2?

No
8%
Yes
50%
Never happen!
4%
Only if he claims it was not really him.
38%

Total votes: 24
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Top twenty player sighted in Abend2

Post by Mickey1 »

Top twenty player sighted in Abend2?
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

I don't know... but I said yes :)

He'd be the guy with the 50 & 5 score.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

The best players can still show up in the worst levels. They probably don't stay long though. :P
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

I voted for \"Only if he claims it was not really him.\"
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Hahaha what does it matter if a good player played anyways? :)
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Ok, people complain about SubwayDancer because of the enhanced secondaries. People griped about \"worlds apart\" because of what, the choke points? I don't remember. It was something to do with the style of CTF play it encouraged. I never played MP much back then so I didn't get involved in the debate.

But what's wrong with Abend2? It's never been one of my favorite levels, but it doesn't have any enhanced secondaries. It's got some nice open places for dogfighting. What makes Abend2 a \"bad\" level?

I got to play for a few minutes yesterday in one of my all time FAVORITE levels, Canyon Siege. I just LOVE to dogfight in that great big open space. too bad that level isn't played much anymore. <sigh>
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

Have you ever run out of frags in abend2?
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Krom wrote:Have you ever run out of frags in abend2?
Ah, so it's just that there are too MANY secondaries?
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Yeah. And it's so big. You can't really get into \"the dance\" with your opponent in that level. He can just slip into the woodwork and choose not to play you for real.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Re:

Post by Krom »

Suncho wrote:Yeah. And it's so big. You can't really get into "the dance" with your opponent in that level. He can just slip into the woodwork and choose not to play you for real.
Ever try ganging up with 2-3 other friends and playing Team Anarchy in Anarchy? Abend2 is a pretty good level for it, just get on TS with a pack and go. For people who try to slip into the woodwork and ambush you it is very effective since once you get well coordinated with your allies there is nowhere to run nowhere to hide even in a "big" level.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Which is what III did all along in their d3tl matches.
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mickey1 »

Whoever it was thanks.The B-team can always use more lessons. We can always disable the secondary button. We did this in Subway and it was much fun. So come dance with us.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Top twenty is a bit of a crock anyway.
pipsqueak
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by pipsqueak »

Abend2 is currently one of the most played games along with Subway, VV, and Stadium. Not much of anything else being played. One way to improve on Abend2 IMO is to have the server set the respawn time way up high. I notice that those weapons spawn awfully quick.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

pipsqueak wrote:Abend2 is currently one of the most played games along with Subway, VV, and Stadium. Not much of anything else being played. One way to improve on Abend2 IMO is to have the server set the respawn time way up high. I notice that those weapons spawn awfully quick.
I agree. There aren't many games being played other than the ones you mentioned. I try to visit all of them as soon as my BF has to go home.

Last week, there was a game of Stadium that had only level one lasers. It was awesome and I wish they would do more of that.

Bettina
Duper
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Duper »

Ya know, I've never understood the whole \"too many secondarys\" bit. I can only guess that those who feel this way didn't play D1 or D2 much or at all online. There were times when you had SO MANY powerups in a hall you could not fly through it...now THAT is too many powerups.

So, levels like Abend2 or Skybox (which is nothing more than a Spaz clone at heart ;)) have never bothered me.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Yeah. That was a \"feature\" of Kali. Any time a new person joined a game, it would dupe all the powerups. But if you only played closed games (or if you played on LAN), the balance would stay normal.

The simple reality of the situation is this:

1. There are levels that nobody likes and nobody plays. It doesn't matter why.

2. Newbies like these levels because they don't get owned so badly in them because nobody who's been playing for a while joins servers that are hosting those levels.

3. Those levels become the new main stream.

So no matter what, the worst levels of one generation will always be the most popular levels of the next generation. Most people who were around before Halcyon hated it too. I tried it and I said this level's stupid. Then everyone started playing it so I had to play it.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

The main reason Halcyon is so popular is because you don't have to think in that level, it is FLAT.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

The main reason it's so popular is because I wasn't in there to kick everyone's ass and make them not like it. ;)
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Hah! I'd like to see you try. :P
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mickey1 »

I like to watch. Makes me hot.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Halcyon was likely popular because of how it played... whether you liked it or hated it, it was different.

Seemed to be a favourite of the ROX crew as well...
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Re:

Post by Suncho »

Sirius wrote:Halcyon was likely popular because of how it played... whether you liked it or hated it, it was different.

Seemed to be a favourite of the ROX crew as well...
It played like a cross between Half Pipe and Steel Vapor. How is that different? =P

Then again I hated Half Pipe. =)
Ferno
DBB Commie Anarchist Thug

Post by Ferno »

Tips for playing Halcyon well:

fly straight, use the MD, get the flag and run like a ★■◆●.

that's about all the strategy and thinking that's required for that level.
Suncho
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by Suncho »

Yeah. That's boring for me. There aren't really any mind games. I enjoy the mind games... and the dog fights... timing and prediction. Halcyon lacks the whole \"spaz flow\" that enables you to learn and exploit an opponent's navigation and decision-making patterns.
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

I voted for the 5th option

\"Who the hell cares\"
Another Soul Korrupted
http://www.korrupted.net
KoolBear
DBB Co-Founder
DBB Co-Founder

Post by KoolBear »

Kilarin wrote:Ok, so what do you guys think IS the best CTF level?
Has been split into it's own thread, I am interested in that conversation.

Starting next week the DBB will have some servers running and I wanted to see what levels the DBB'rs want to see.

KB
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I voted yes, because if you do not have a wide variety of level choices then you are not playing to you're full potential. :)
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

And yes, i play abend 2 also.
World War Woodi
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by World War Woodi »

I play anything that is being played cause I dont care, I just wanna play.
Admiral Thrawn
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Admiral Thrawn »

World War Woodi wrote:I play anything that is being played cause I dont care, I just wanna play.
Which is exactly my point. I think a lot of people let the "elitest" way of thinking in the Descent community affect them and influence their opinion of what is fun. Really, we should play just to play.

I don't consider myself one of the best, but I was a damn fine pilot. I didn't care where I fought. If it was a boating level. If not, cool. I was willing to kick azz anywhere and everywhere I pleased. I didn't limit myself to some sort of "higher" playing ground. And for the record, I love Abend, Skybox, blacksharks, etc...

Gimme only a stick and I'll fight with it. Give me a weapons depot, and I'll make sure I empty everything I got before I go out in a blaze of glory.
Another Soul Korrupted
http://www.korrupted.net
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Re:

Post by Bet51987 »

Admiral Thrawn wrote:
World War Woodi wrote:I play anything that is being played cause I dont care, I just wanna play.
Which is exactly my point. I think a lot of people let the "elitest" way of thinking in the Descent community affect them and influence their opinion of what is fun. Really, we should play just to play.

I don't consider myself one of the best, but I was a damn fine pilot. I didn't care where I fought. If it was a boating level. If not, cool. I was willing to kick azz anywhere and everywhere I pleased. I didn't limit myself to some sort of "higher" playing ground. And for the record, I love Abend, Skybox, blacksharks, etc...

Gimme only a stick and I'll fight with it. Give me a weapons depot, and I'll make sure I empty everything I got before I go out in a blaze of glory.
Your like me. :)

Bettina
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Admiral Thrawn wrote:I didn't care where I fought....

I almost completely agree.

I do care where I fight a little bit. I just like some styles of play, some levels, and some opponents better than others. D1 anarctic vs Simmu is probably my favorite of all time, with D1 tetrafusion 4-player right behind. I prefer levels with low missile content and no MD to boat levels or veins. I prefer levels with interesting geometry to "simple" levels. I prefer players at or just above my skill level to anything else. But if I find myself in Abend2 with 3 n00bs and an expert who'll wipe the floor with me, hey, it's Descent; I'll play and enjoy it. It might not be as good as other levels with other players, but why complain?
will_kill
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by will_kill »

where is it written that a good game must be fought face to face till death you do part? I like a good game that has so much going on you cant keep track of where it's all going on at. Gimme that for training anyday :)
Clayman
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Clayman »

Abend 2 was never one of my favorite levels, but I played it on occasion nevertheless. It's fun to fly a GL in the main room and practice avoiding all of the seconaries that pilots chuck from the tunnels, while dogfighting the brave ones who stay in the middle.
III never used any voice programs. The coordination all came from constant practice internally and against the better external players.
Last week, there was a game of Stadium that had only level one lasers. It was awesome and I wish they would do more of that.
Bettina's growing up, that's awesome. ;)
Most people who were around before Halcyon hated it too. I tried it and I said this level's stupid. Then everyone started playing it so I had to play it.
Halcyon was popular because it was a match of brawn, an adrenaline rush. The team with the heaviest hitters and fastest runners usually won. It's also a great foil to more \"heady\" levels like Polaris.
Ferno

Post by Ferno »

you forgot a fifth option: \"Does it even matter?\"

;)
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re:

Post by Behemoth »

Clayman wrote:
III never used any voice programs. The coordination all came from constant practice internally and against the better external players..
Heh, I've heard otherwise from you're own members.
Halcyon was popular because it was a match of brawn, an adrenaline rush. The team with the heaviest hitters and fastest runners usually won. It's also a great foil to more "heady" levels like Polaris.
Not really brawn as much as its so easy to spawn kill there its not even funny, but if it makes your small..... ego bigger go right ahead.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master

Post by Krom »

Clay is right, Halcyon does play to the team with the most raw firepower, more so then many other levels. It is the Indika or Skybox of CTF.
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

I just dislike Abend. It pisses me off and I never know why.
Birdseye wrote:It's never over