The 20th Winter Olympiad

Pyro Pilots Lounge. For all topics *not* covered in other DBB forums.

Moderators: fliptw, roid

Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

The 20th Winter Olympiad

Post by Top Gun »

I'm surprised that no one's mentioned it yet. Maybe it may seem over-hyped at times, but I still say that there's nothing quite like the Olympics. At least for a week or two, we can have people from all over the world engaging in friendly competition, without all of the hate and political crap. Plus, we get to see things like bobsledding, downhill skiing, and everyone's favorite, curling. :P The opening ceremonies are always something to see, too; I'm sitting here watching the rebroadcast right now. So, here's to two weeks of cool sporting events. :)
Top Wop
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Wop »

ZZZZZZzzzzzz... ...is why im not to hot about it. I guess im not that much of a sports guy.

I did enjoy Pavarotti. Too bad Opera isnt in the Olyimpics.
Topher
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Topher »

Did they implement bikini speed skiing yet?
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Top Gun »

Meh to you guys. :P I was already getting stoked. The US women's ice hockey team steamrolled Switzerland earlier, 6-0. The highlight was definitely the 5-on-3 shorthanded goal; I was going nuts. :)
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

I really wanted to enjoy the opening ceremonies, because they were very nicely done, as most olympic opening/closing ceremonies are.

However NBC, in their infinite stupidity, completely f***ed everything up.

Sure, its tape delayed, I understand the nesessity of that, given the time differences between here and there, however, NBC owns a plethora of stations on cable that could have had their normal programming sacrificed for dedicated viewers who wanted to view it live.

Also, the announcer talked way too much, often pointing out obvious things \"Well these sun and moon shaped ballons are supposed to represent the sun and the moon...\" GEE YOU THINK??? SHUT UP AND LET ME ENJOY THE CEREMONY!

Also, the constant parade of commercials was just infuriating. You know damned well their execs were salivating at them having it tape delayed so they could practically splice in an ad or 5 whenever they felt l.ike they havnt been whorish enough lately.

And finally, the thing that really pissed me off was that I couldnt understand anything the italian officials were saying, thanks to NBC's complete lack of a translator or subtitles.

So yes, I really wanted to enjoy these, as they are always extremely well done, but the constant interruptions from the announcer and capitalist america just made it almost completely unwatchable for me. I hate NBC now, I really do.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

Lets see here..... first you complain about the fact that the announcers bothered you, then you complained about the fact that there weren't any translators. Duh, the announcers were the translators if you had been paying attention. :
I personally thought it was one of the coolest events in the world I have ever watched. I especially liked the giant guy on ski's that were symbolised by thousands of people moving around on the ground.

I will admit that it does get annoying and I don't like the fact that we have commercials between everything but we have commercials between everything else and no one complains (aka Superbowl). Hell, some consider the commercials part of watching the Superbowl, which I always thought was stupid.

I thought it was damn good despite the commercials and announcers. I'm also looking forward to the skating and snowboarding. :)
Robo
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Robo »

I'm only watching it because Jamiroquai are going to play at some point near the end :P How sad.
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Avder »

[]V[]essenjah wrote:Lets see here..... first you complain about the fact that the announcers bothered you, then you complained about the fact that there weren't any translators. Duh, the announcers were the translators if you had been paying attention. :
Actually they didnt. They paraphrased, at best, and they only did that for the italian presidents "I declare these games open", and they said absolutely nothing for that other italian guy who spoke.
[]V[]essenjah
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by []V[]essenjah »

They told us everything we needed to know anyway. My point was you complained either about one thing or the opposite. Decide what you want to complain about and stand by it at least. Either you didn't like the announcers telling you information or you didn't like the fact that they didn't tell you enough.... pick a side. :P

I take it you speak italian?
Avder
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Post by Avder »

The paraphrasing took place well before the italian president spoke the words officially opening the olympics. There was no standard voice over translation, or subtitles, hence I stand by my claim that it was at best, paraphrasing, and no actual tanslation took place.
roid
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by roid »

what's winter? :twisted: oh that's that thing where it's all cold and snowing hey!

sounds like NBC sucked on the translations. Italian people speak for a few minutes - NBC's translation is \"Games R Open, Ya RLY! OMG BRING ON THE PIZZAS!\".