Question about SD

Meet the people you love to kill (and be killed by) in Descent!

Moderator: Do_Checkor

SuzyQ
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Question about SD

Post by SuzyQ »

I probrably know what it is, but.
Why do people play Subway Dancer.
Is because of the intensity of the game
or just for a kill?
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

Different weapons
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Re: Question about SD

Post by Hattrick »

SuzyQ wrote:I probrably know what it is, but.
or just for a kill?

um how about they enjoy the level a lot and enjoy playing the other peeps who also enjoy the level?

Just my 1/3 cent. -Hat
Mickey1
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Mickey1 »

I play there because I have fun most of the time. The different style of play that is needed with the butt bombs isn't my favorite. No MD is nice; I just can't get it. Also anything different keeps the old head working. The older you get the more you need to work on it.
dundun
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by dundun »

dont like it, but play it.
often the only game on :cry:

still, I see any game as a practice.
not good to be stuck on the same game to long.
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

I think subway dancer is fun. I prefer more dogfighting, but i've actually had quite a few fun dogfights in subway dancer. The secondaries are very powerful, but that just means you have to get out of the way the instant you hear a hiss... :)
The countermeasure reverse homers are kind of interesting. You just can't stick to someones tail and when somone drops those, you gotta dodge FAST.

No, its not my favorite level, but I've had a LOT of fun in there.
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

95% of the time SD is too easy, I get called a hacker, and everyone leaves. I ain't even all that great, so that's just sad :)
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Subway Dancer is fun. I was born there so its my all time favorite. It gives me a chance against MD, fusion, and vauss experts. It kind of levels the playing field. :)

Bettina
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Bet51987 wrote:It gives me a chance against MD, fusion, and vauss experts.
If someone is good with those guns but can't whoop you in Subway, they're not a true expert in any sense of the word.

What Subway does is levels the playing field against one-trick ponies... players who are really good with one and only one gun, and one and only one tactic. Those who know how to move their ship will still mess you up in Subway.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Sadly that doesnt slow me down, I was called a hacker by players who seem to have bettinas \"im not good and i know it im just having fun\" mentality the last 3 times i went to subway dancer.

Its like i said in another post, you have to play all sorts of levels to develop even skills.
Cangaceiro
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Cangaceiro »

What really is anoying on SD is the hit and runners. They seam to think that a cheap kill is more important then a dog fight. I've met some of those in other levels and boy can they suck. And BEH.. if you are not a hacker then I will play against you any time. After all I got you 7 times out of 10.000 :D
Barracuda
Kilarin
DBB Fleet Admiral
DBB Fleet Admiral

Post by Kilarin »

Lothar wrote:players who are really good with one and only one gun, and one and only one tactic. Those who know how to move their ship will still mess you up in Subway.
Exactly! As I prove every time I go into SD and get CREAMED by people who actually can fly a ship instead of just wiggling a joystick and watching how pretty the mine is as it spins in circles.

OOOO! More loud noices and flashing lights!
Top Gun
DBB Master
DBB Master

Re:

Post by Top Gun »

Cangaceiro wrote:What really is anoying on SD is the hit and runners. They seam to think that a cheap kill is more important then a dog fight. I've met some of those in other levels and boy can they suck. And BEH.. if you are not a hacker then I will play against you any time. After all I got you 7 times out of 10.000 :D
Barracuda
As far as I'm concerned, a kill's a kill, no matter how you get it. Hit-'n'-run's a legitimate strategy, and I've used it a few too many times to be able to criticize it. :P
WarAdvocat
DBB Defender
DBB Defender

Post by WarAdvocat »

Hit and run: Legitimate tactic yes, legitimate PLAYSTYLE? debatable. One trick ponies get owned. No matter what the trick is.
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

I've used hit and run before, but it gets boring rapidly.

One thing to keep in mind is ~97% of non homing hit and run shots require no action to dodge, just sitting still defeats the tactic. If it homes then twitch once and it will miss.

The most effective style against hit and run is: Camping, or close to it, just fly around the level slowly and quietly, pausing briefly near corners, you will hear them coming.

Hit and run is fatally weak against camping ambushes.
MD-2389
Defender of the Night
Defender of the Night

Re:

Post by MD-2389 »

Krom wrote:I've used hit and run before, but it gets boring rapidly.

One thing to keep in mind is ~97% of non homing hit and run shots require no action to dodge, just sitting still defeats the tactic. If it homes then twitch once and it will miss.

The most effective style against hit and run is: Camping, or close to it, just fly around the level slowly and quietly, pausing briefly near corners, you will hear them coming.

Hit and run is fatally weak against camping ambushes.
Or dodge their shots and let them run. Half the time they're expecting you to follow, so don't. Camp beside the door and let the dope come back out looking for you, then nail him/her from the side where you CAN'T be seen.
"One spelling mistake can destroy your life. A Husband sent this to his wife : "I'm having a wonderful time. Wish you were her." - @RobinWilliams
Krom
DBB Database Master
DBB Database Master
Location: Camping the energy center. BTW, did you know you can have up to 100 characters in this location box?

Post by Krom »

... like I said, just sit still and wait for them.

If you park just around a likely corner, half the time a hit and run pilot will come barreling around the corner in full afterburner trichord mode and crash right into your ship. The sensation is almost the same as standing around the corner of a building and having a small child run around the corner, crash into your legs and get knocked backwards on to the ground.

You need to take in to account how D3 handles collisions between ships, anyone who often plays in cramped levels knows that it is actually quite common for someones ship to fly right through your own (and on their screen you may do the same thing to them) because of the lag in position packets. However, if your ship is not moving you have effectively canceled any lag in your own position packets, which more or less turns your ship into an impenetrable concrete wall if someone tries to fly through you.

With that effect in mind, all you have to do is camp in the right path and wait, when they come racing around the corner they will collide with your stationary ship, and partially due to confusion, partially do to you throwing a wrench into D3's ship collision code they will become quite stuck on your ship for 1-2 seconds. More then enough time for you to offer a small token of your affection towards hit and run players, such as an impact mortar at point blank range or fully charged fusion round.
Mobius
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by Mobius »

or just for a kill?
Because they are retarded.
Warhammer
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Warhammer »

Everyone has a level they love and a level they hate. I ask the same question about Burning Indika.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Because burning indika has been a very well liked level since d2, easy question simple answer. :)
Lothar
DBB Ghost Admin
DBB Ghost Admin

Re:

Post by Lothar »

Krom wrote:The most effective style against hit and run is: Camping, or close to it, just fly around the level slowly and quietly, pausing briefly near corners, you will hear them coming.
Depends on what form of H&R player you're playing. Some are pretty stealthy, while others barrel around full speed. For some, the best response is to meet them right around a corner and fusion them to death; for others, it's to sit at the end of a long room with vauss or MD and shoot when they poke their head around the corner. For others it's to get inside their head. Delay respawning, or make a comment that bothers them and makes them change things up, or run away from them and make them really bored. Any one of these might work, depending on the opponent.

H&R and camping are both legitimate tactics AND legitimate playstyles. But mastering only one of them will make you a pretty easy opponent for those who've mastered others. If you want to be a master, you need to be good at all playstyles, not just those two.
Ain't Skeird
DBB Cadet
DBB Cadet

Post by Ain't Skeird »

Mobius wrote:
or just for a kill?
I play it because it’s fun.
The first on-line game I played was subway. After years of descent, I found the weapon mods refreshing. Like Bettina, I was born there, and it’s my favorite level. Some of the adopted tactics may be questionable like blind shots or hit and run, it’s all a matter of a player’s skill level. I have been guilty of both.

I know that many of you would agree with Mobius in that it would not be your first choice for a game, and I understand that. It’s Mobius choice of words, coupled with his attitude that compels me to write.

Retarded? LOL. Indeed…. Talking about me, that could be considered an accurate assessment considering some of the choices I’ve made in life. However, I have met and played many people of character in subway that I consider friends, and with that statement you have insulted them as well. To that, I will respond.

It occurs to me, your use of the word “they” in your statement tactfully excludes yourself, which is not the case. You have trounced me there at least a dozen times.

In the course of a lifetime, I have learned when an individual expresses himself with derrogotory language, wrapped in a condescending attitude, it stems from a need to belittle others in an effort to elevate himself. That speaks of weakness.

One of many friends in subway- “Mental floss,” who when coming up behind you would flair you instead of unloading on you, Just to give you a chance. That speaks of character.

You are a lethal pilot Mobius, but in terms of social skills…you appear to be unarmed
DBB master, Huh? Perhaps… although you’re flying skills consistently best mine… I am not the loser here.

Considering all the high caliber pilots I’ve met playing this great game, it infers that the vast majority of individuals who comprise this community here are people of character.
I’m surprised they tolerate you.

Mark Twain said; “Better to remain silent and appear ignorant, rather than open one’s mouth…and remove all doubt.”

Wanna trounce me some more?
You know where to find me.

To the rest of you, I apologize that my 1st post in so long had to be a rant. :roll:
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Ahem, Bettina was born in HYPERSPACE NOT subgay dancer :P
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

Also, if a \"good\" player hates the level they certainly have the freedom not to join, because i myself understand people have d3 to have fun, not die 50 times in a row just to boost some ***holes ego.
Bet51987
DBB Alumni
DBB Alumni

Post by Bet51987 »

Ain't Skierd and Mobius are good guys. He's just defending our birthplace. :)

And no, I was born in Subway. My very first game. Hyperspace didn't come along for a long time I thought.

Bettina...heading to the mines now.
Behemoth
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Behemoth »

I was born in the lunar outpost ptmc base on the descent demo heh, things change so much in a game.
Sulaco
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Hiya

Post by Sulaco »

Hey Bet and Aint, woohoo, good to see y'all. I really miss playing SD, sooo, I just re-signed up for the DSL and should be back soon...

YEA!

SD's a blast
Money!
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Post by Money! »

Ain't Skeird wrote:
Mobius wrote:
or just for a kill?
I play it because it’s fun.
The first on-line game I played was subway. After years of descent, I found the weapon mods refreshing. Like Bettina, I was born there, and it’s my favorite level. Some of the adopted tactics may be questionable like blind shots or hit and run, it’s all a matter of a player’s skill level. I have been guilty of both.

I know that many of you would agree with Mobius in that it would not be your first choice for a game, and I understand that. It’s Mobius choice of words, coupled with his attitude that compels me to write.

Retarded? LOL. Indeed…. Talking about me, that could be considered an accurate assessment considering some of the choices I’ve made in life. However, I have met and played many people of character in subway that I consider friends, and with that statement you have insulted them as well. To that, I will respond.

It occurs to me, your use of the word “they” in your statement tactfully excludes yourself, which is not the case. You have trounced me there at least a dozen times.

In the course of a lifetime, I have learned when an individual expresses himself with derrogotory language, wrapped in a condescending attitude, it stems from a need to belittle others in an effort to elevate himself. That speaks of weakness.

One of many friends in subway- “Mental floss,” who when coming up behind you would flair you instead of unloading on you, Just to give you a chance. That speaks of character.

You are a lethal pilot Mobius, but in terms of social skills…you appear to be unarmed
DBB master, Huh? Perhaps… although you’re flying skills consistently best mine… I am not the loser here.

Considering all the high caliber pilots I’ve met playing this great game, it infers that the vast majority of individuals who comprise this community here are people of character.
I’m surprised they tolerate you.

Mark Twain said; “Better to remain silent and appear ignorant, rather than open one’s mouth…and remove all doubt.”

Wanna trounce me some more?
You know where to find me.

To the rest of you, I apologize that my 1st post in so long had to be a rant. :roll:
I just sat down on the couch, got some popcorn, and am waiting for the comeback. I haven't seen anybody try to straight up out-talk mobius ever.
Birdseye wrote:It's never over
Hattrick
DBB Admiral
DBB Admiral

Post by Hattrick »

whoa It's Sulaco!
ltns :)
Sulaco
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sulaco »

Hiya Hattrick :)
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

Derogatory throwaway comments are generally not meant to be consistent, or defensible, arrogant or even particularly meaningful. They're just meant to amuse those who feel the same way, and even better, annoy or offend (some of) those who don't.

In essence, if someone's trolling and you take the bait, don't expect to get a moral victory out of it; they don't really care, and will probably laugh at you for trying, if anything.
FunkyStickman
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by FunkyStickman »

Well, I play almost entirely the Stadium and Indika for two reasons: Linux 1.4b won't connect to Varicose Veins Guardian OR Subway Dancer. So what am I left with? There's tons of good levels out there, but for some reason I always see everybody playing those four on d3.descent.cx.

Also, one-trick ponies can usually pwn me, until about 20 minutes go by... then I get warmed up and can read people who do the same thing.
Neo
DBB Captain
DBB Captain

Re:

Post by Neo »

CDN_Merlin wrote:Different weapons
I concur. =P

Yeah, I used to like Burning Indika when I was a n00b because the level is small and resembles a groundpounder level, which is what I was used to. =P That, and I loved the Smart Missiles. =P

But now, Indika is so played out and I'm tired of it. =P
Zero, Behemoth, FOIL, Terminal, Neo. The greatest pilots in the universe. :P
Sligar
DBB Ace
DBB Ace

Post by Sligar »

It simple, SD is popular because it levels the playing field. You drop a noob into a typical indika game, and they're going to get annihilated; they may not score a kill the whole game. How much fun is that? Not alot. With SD, the noob has a chance to get a kill once in a while, so they keep coming back. Anybody can get a kill in SD eventually if they lob those wtf missiles around corners enough times. You don't even need side slide skills for that. And that's a good thing. There's a reason SD is a lot of people's first level. Anyone saying that they first started with indika, and had fun doing it? I didn't think so, not in modern times.

I consider a level like Abend 2 the next level up from SD. Its still a missile fest, but there's dogfighting there if you want it, and you don't have the insta-kill missles, you actually need a little skill in your boating. A total noob will probably still be slaughtered, but an intermediate can probably get a kill or two even if the other players are pretty decent. So Abend 2 is popular, even though the most advanced players hate it.

So guess what, advanced players? YOU are the reason that these kinds of levels are popular, you have no one to blame but your noob-tormenting selves.
Sirius
DBB Master
DBB Master

Post by Sirius »

I bet they feel ashamed. ;)

I have a suspicion my first multiplayer level with Minerva 3, with smart mines enabled... from memory it was the way I got half my kills that game. Still ran something like 25%.
Testiculese
DBB Material Defender
DBB Material Defender

Re:

Post by Testiculese »

Sligar wrote:Anyone saying that they first started with indika, and had fun doing it? I didn't think so, not in modern times.
My first game was in Indika with people of a skill set much higher than today. I had to play Fatal and Birdseye, Rican and Xciter...etc. Fortunately, I played the SP levels in D1/D2 for long enough that I was able to hold about 40%. Boy did I learn quick! And yes, I had a blast doing so.

When I didn't feel like getting smeared, I would gather a few peer pilots and go into levels by ourselves...and we always chose the best levels we could. There's no excuse for locking onself in SD, when there are so many fantastic levels out there.
CDN_Merlin
DBB_Master
DBB_Master

Post by CDN_Merlin »

My first multiplayer online games were in D2 using there own Pandamodium levels. In D3, it was also the Outrage levels.